Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Justice

Voted one of the “Best Places to Work in the Federal Government‚ in 2010, the Department of Justice and its 124,870 employees help lead the nation in ensuring the protection of all Americans while preserving their constitutional freedoms. 
199 Pages«<129130131132133>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Navychick101  
#2601 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2019 3:08:30 PM(UTC)
Navychick101

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GearUp Go to Quoted Post
New DI vacancy announcement just opened today (6/24). Open to all sources. Open until Friday 06/28 or 5000 applications received.

GearUp,

Do you think it would be advisable for those of us who were referred at a lower grade to now try to reapply for a higher grade level? Meaning at the time we only had X amount of days as a GS7 but now we have been a 9 for over a year...so you think we could try to apply for a higher grade? Or would it hurt our chances with the current process?
thanks 1 user thanked Navychick101 for this useful post.
AFIN on 6/24/2019(UTC)
stimpy729  
#2602 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 4:58:16 AM(UTC)
stimpy729

United States

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mvp375 Go to Quoted Post
General question

Anyone here had bad experience or issues with medical, drug , BI process? Or know of any situations that might make it difficult?

I'm asking as I'm a veteran as well, not sure if my service connected issues may be a barrier for the medical review - I mean should I even disclose the medical issues I had such as back issues or mental health concerns from service? I mean, I'm working now and am maintaining With the help of doctors and some medicine. Maybe I'm thinking too far into the medical portion...

As far as BI- I had. Secret clearance while in service(exited in 2015) but not sure if this might help the BI process.

For drug, i have no concerns about other than I take prescription medicine. I don't think that is an issue.

Thanks all!

I do case review for background investigations right now. Do not disclose on the sf86 or to the investigator more than what the question is asking. If you have ptsd, leave it at that and no follow up required. If there is something more serious, like a psychotic disorder or something incapacitating that could question judgement, then it needs to be disclosed and it gets followed up on. Grief related, marital counseling, family counseling, and ptsd are typically not disqualifying on the security form. I do not know DEA’s requirements, but this is just what I see, generally speaking, when reviewing background investigation reports and forms.
thanks 1 user thanked stimpy729 for this useful post.
Browsermidwest on 6/25/2019(UTC)
John Stamos  
#2603 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 9:31:26 AM(UTC)
John Stamos

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 7 post(s)
As of today the July class is filled... There is a class scheduled for March... Not sure if there will still be a September class...
thanks 1 user thanked John Stamos for this useful post.
stimpy729 on 6/25/2019(UTC)
luckydevil  
#2604 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 9:35:27 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Was thanked: 158 time(s) in 123 post(s)
Originally Posted by: John Stamos Go to Quoted Post
As of today the July class is filled... There is a class scheduled for March... Not sure if there will still be a September class...

Noooo not until next March?! Ugh :( Hoping that changes
USMC03  
#2605 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 10:01:04 AM(UTC)
USMC03

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: luckydevil Go to Quoted Post

Seems nearly impossible to get started in this job and I just applied for the one that just opened lol to the public haha

4 years to go
luckydevil  
#2606 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 10:02:57 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Originally Posted by: USMC03 Go to Quoted Post

Seems nearly impossible to get started in this job and I just applied for the one that just opened lol to the public haha

4 years to go

Lol if the next class isn't until March it will be almost exactly 3 years for me.
Browsermidwest  
#2607 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 10:04:38 AM(UTC)
Browsermidwest

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stimpy729 Go to Quoted Post
General question

Anyone here had bad experience or issues with medical, drug , BI process? Or know of any situations that might make it difficult?

I'm asking as I'm a veteran as well, not sure if my service connected issues may be a barrier for the medical review - I mean should I even disclose the medical issues I had such as back issues or mental health concerns from service? I mean, I'm working now and am maintaining With the help of doctors and some medicine. Maybe I'm thinking too far into the medical portion...

As far as BI- I had. Secret clearance while in service(exited in 2015) but not sure if this might help the BI process.

For drug, i have no concerns about other than I take prescription medicine. I don't think that is an issue.

Thanks all!

I do case review for background investigations right now. Do not disclose on the sf86 or to the investigator more than what the question is asking. If you have ptsd, leave it at that and no follow up required. If there is something more serious, like a psychotic disorder or something incapacitating that could question judgement, then it needs to be disclosed and it gets followed up on. Grief related, marital counseling, family counseling, and ptsd are typically not disqualifying on the security form. I do not know DEA’s requirements, but this is just what I see, generally speaking, when reviewing background investigation reports and forms.

Thank you for this insight! Will be as honest as possible but with limitation.
John Stamos  
#2608 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2019 3:43:27 AM(UTC)
John Stamos

Same... I'm bummed because I got a preference sheet for DI 53, then was told that I have to wait... Like, why even send the sheet???
luckydevil  
#2609 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2019 4:55:26 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Same... I'm bummed because I got a preference sheet for DI 53, then was told that I have to wait... Like, why even send the sheet???

Yeah they send out more for backups incase people decline. Hopefully Sept still happens though 🤞
stimpy729  
#2610 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2019 5:00:04 AM(UTC)
stimpy729

United States

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 28 post(s)
This is bananas! I would almost prefer to be delayed until 2021 since my family will be moving next spring or summer anyway. I can’t imagine my husband trying to pack up and sell our house if I am at DI school!

I just hope we hear next steps soon! So since the 8/18 posting there have been 2 more. How many postings were there prior to the 8/18 posting that haven’t gone to DI school? Just the one from 2/18 and any leftovers from 2017?
Critter82  
#2611 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2019 5:01:08 AM(UTC)
Critter82

United States

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 16 post(s)
What does the PT aspect of the academy look like? I had to sign a sheet saying I was ok to perform running and pushups, etc.
USMC03  
#2612 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2019 5:46:04 AM(UTC)
USMC03

Originally Posted by: Critter82 Go to Quoted Post
What does the PT aspect of the academy look like? I had to sign a sheet saying I was ok to perform running and pushups, etc.

I was told no PT
Browsermidwest  
#2613 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2019 6:26:29 PM(UTC)
Browsermidwest

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 7 post(s)

I was told no PT

Wait, so there is a physical fitness requirement?
USMC03  
#2614 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2019 6:40:44 PM(UTC)
USMC03

I was told no PT

Last time I checked it wasn’t it isn’t a 1811 position
GearUp  
#2615 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2019 8:43:14 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 682 time(s) in 228 post(s)

I was told no PT

Last time I checked it wasn’t it isn’t a 1811 position

No PT requirement for DIs.

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Browsermidwest on 6/27/2019(UTC)
luckydevil  
#2616 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2019 5:02:01 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

This is bananas! I would almost prefer to be delayed until 2021 since my family will be moving next spring or summer anyway. I can’t imagine my husband trying to pack up and sell our house if I am at DI school!

I just hope we hear next steps soon! So since the 8/18 posting there have been 2 more. How many postings were there prior to the 8/18 posting that haven’t gone to DI school? Just the one from 2/18 and any leftovers from 2017?

Yes there's still 2017 waiting to go. I am one of them with a few others on here still waiting for the next class.
John Stamos  
#2617 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2019 5:44:08 AM(UTC)
John Stamos

I'm from the listing that closed in July of 2018...
FinCrimesJD  
#2618 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2019 8:21:20 PM(UTC)
FinCrimesJD

United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I've been talking with the fiance and she's brought up concerns about the timing. For the select 2017 candidates still waiting and us 2018 group, I'd love to find out we get into the potential September 18 or March 19 academies, March being more likely.

This would give her some peace of mind in terms of our wedding, which is slated for November 2020. It would be a great feeling to know the academy was over and the personal and professional lives were at a peak.

Speaking of, is the start of the academy say, similar to military schooling, meaning no personal vehicles, you have to fly or take a bus with the ticket provided, traditional onboarding for the first few days, etc?
GearUp  
#2619 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2019 9:16:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 682 time(s) in 228 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FinCrimesJD Go to Quoted Post
I've been talking with the fiance and she's brought up concerns about the timing. For the select 2017 candidates still waiting and us 2018 group, I'd love to find out we get into the potential September 18 or March 19 academies, March being more likely.

This would give her some peace of mind in terms of our wedding, which is slated for November 2020. It would be a great feeling to know the academy was over and the personal and professional lives were at a peak.

Speaking of, is the start of the academy say, similar to military schooling, meaning no personal vehicles, you have to fly or take a bus with the ticket provided, traditional onboarding for the first few days, etc?

Don't know what class you may or may not get into. As for your wedding, congrats! If you happen to be in the Academy in November 2020 you should be allowed the weekend off and allowed to travel home for the wedding. Its happened on the past. But you have to notify your counselor immediately when you arrive at the Academy of the date of your wedding. As for as having your personal car at the Academy - it all depends on how far you are from Quantico. If you are within a 250 mile radius you should be allowed to drive your personal vehicle. Parking at the Academy is very very tight. The Special Agent in Charge of Training has cracked down on unauthorized vehicles. So if you aren't authorized to drive I highly recommend you don't. A word to the wise on the driving issue. When you fly in you will take a shuttle from the airport to the Academy. You pay for the shuttle out of pocket and you will be reimbursed when you file your voucher. Your complete reporting instructions will be provided soon after you receive your final offer. During the first week (maybe second week as well) of training you will complete your "onboarding" and receive briefings from HR, Finance, benefits and other HQ personnel offices.

Good luck

thanks 4 users thanked for this useful post.
FinCrimesJD on 6/27/2019(UTC), Shyguy on 6/28/2019(UTC), luckydevil on 6/28/2019(UTC), Airedale260 on 6/30/2019(UTC)
USMC03  
#2620 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2019 7:39:00 PM(UTC)
USMC03

So when a new DI gets assigned to a FIELD OFFICE in a state how far out do they cover that state? Or do they go to other states?

How do they get their cases? Are they referred to them? How do they get graded? I’m sure DI gotta get graded somehow.

How many cases do they work on at any time?

Do you get a cool DEA jacket? Lol
Rss Feed  Atom Feed