Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Justice

Voted one of the “Best Places to Work in the Federal Government‚ in 2010, the Department of Justice and its 124,870 employees help lead the nation in ensuring the protection of all Americans while preserving their constitutional freedoms. 
196 Pages«<130131132133134>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GearUp  
#2621 Posted : Sunday, June 30, 2019 5:50:51 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 679 time(s) in 227 post(s)
Originally Posted by: USMC03 Go to Quoted Post
So when a new DI gets assigned to a FIELD OFFICE in a state how far out do they cover that state? Or do they go to other states?

How do they get their cases? Are they referred to them? How do they get graded? I’m sure DI gotta get graded somehow.

How many cases do they work on at any time?

Do you get a cool DEA jacket? Lol

To answer all of your questions:

How far out do they cover? Or do they go to other states?
It depends on the office. There are some offices where their investigative jurisdiction crosses state lines. Some stay within a state's borders. Some stay within a certain area of a state. Now being a Federal Law Enforcement Agency we can cross state lines if need be as we aren't bound by borders outside of or within a state. However, we usually work with the office having investigative jurisdiction in that state or area.

How do they get cases? Are the referred to them?
Some cases are referred. Some are self generated based on DIs on research. Some are required to be done - we have to do on-site investigations on certain categories of business and people who hold DEA registrations. At the beginning of every fiscal year the Group Supervisor puts together the "workplan" of required on-site investigations and they are divided (as equally as possible) up between the assigned DIs.

How do they get graded?
We have a written plan which is presented to us every year. And we have a mid-year review of that plan. We have to sign the plan acknowledging our understanding of it. We have to meet the requirements of that plan every year.

How many cases do they work at a time?
It depends. Can't put a number on that. To many variables come into play.

Do you get a cool DEA jacket?
Yes.

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Shyguy on 6/30/2019(UTC)
Legend of Zella  
#2622 Posted : Sunday, June 30, 2019 8:32:29 AM(UTC)
Legend of Zella

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Just wondering if anyone else from DI53 received their teletype/travel info yet. I haven’t received mine but plan to follow up with the training coordinator tomorrow.

Thanks!
clbrze  
#2623 Posted : Sunday, June 30, 2019 10:36:35 AM(UTC)
clbrze

Originally Posted by: GearUp Go to Quoted Post
So when a new DI gets assigned to a FIELD OFFICE in a state how far out do they cover that state? Or do they go to other states?

How do they get their cases? Are they referred to them? How do they get graded? I’m sure DI gotta get graded somehow.

It depends on the office. There are some offices where their investigative jurisdiction crosses state lines. Some stay within a state's borders. Some stay within a certain area of a state. Now being a Federal Law Enforcement Agency we can cross state lines if need be as we aren't bound by borders outside of or within a state. However, we usually work with the office having investigative jurisdiction in that state or area.

Some cases are referred. Some are self generated based on DIs on research. Some are required to be done - we have to do on-site investigations on certain categories of business and people who hold DEA registrations. At the beginning of every fiscal year the Group Supervisor puts together the "workplan" of required on-site investigations and they are divided (as equally as possible) up between the assigned DIs.

How do they get graded?
We have a written plan which is presented to us every year. And we have a mid-year review of that plan. We have to sign the plan acknowledging our understanding of it. We have to meet the requirements of that plan every year.

Yes.

What's the work/life balance like? I haven't been able to find a ton of information on job satisfaction with regards to the work or generally how the work week is set up (lots of traveling, overnight trips, office hours, overtime possibilities, etc.)
GearUp  
#2624 Posted : Sunday, June 30, 2019 9:07:39 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: clbrze Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: GearUp Go to Quoted Post

How do they get graded?

Yes.

What's the work/life balance like? I haven't been able to find a ton of information on job satisfaction with regards to the work or generally how the work week is set up (lots of traveling, overnight trips, office hours, overtime possibilities, etc.)

You folks ask a lot of "it depends" questions. As in it depends on the office you're assigned to. I can generalize but can't give specifics. Generally DIs work Monday - Friday, "9 to 5". We work those hours because the vast majority of the folks we investigate and interact with work those hours. We seldom work weekends or holidays. It can happen but its on a case by case basis. Also on a case by case basis and office assignment is travel, overnight trips and overtime. Also effecting the amount of travel and overtime is the number of staff assigned to the office you're in. If you're shorthanded you may work more OT than another office. So there are a lot of variable and "it all depends." As for job satisfaction - DEA usually receives high numbers in the annual survey for job satisfaction. It is my opinion that the majority of DIs are highly satisfied with the job. We don't have many leave except for retirement. Now not to say we don't loose people to other agencies or non-government jobs because we do. But most leave happy and not for anything negative. I'm not blind to the fact that you'll find disgruntled people in every job. We do have some disgruntled people. Funny thing is they stick around. Guess it can't be all that bad. If it were, you would think they would leave. They don't. But it's my opinion and experience DIs are satisfied with the job.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
thatsamyzing on 7/1/2019(UTC)
Legend of Zella  
#2625 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2019 7:59:14 PM(UTC)
Legend of Zella

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Jayysonn,

I received the teletype today, maybe about five hours ago via email. I’m not sure if we all received it at the same time or if they send it out in batches. You can pm me if you want.
thanks 1 user thanked Legend of Zella for this useful post.
Jayysonn on 7/2/2019(UTC)
KYgal03  
#2626 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2019 11:12:45 AM(UTC)
KYgal03

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Has any of the August 2018 applicants received any news after their interview? I was told that I was moving forward and would know something in June but I have not received any further information. I was just wondering if anyone else had.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 2, 2019 11:14:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Critter82  
#2627 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2019 11:17:36 AM(UTC)
Critter82

United States

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Same here.. crickets.
AlecN  
#2628 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2019 11:28:38 AM(UTC)
AlecN

United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 15 post(s)
KYgal03,

I called the HR folks a couple weeks ago and they said that they are waiting for OPM to finish their side of the process. I learned in the military that there is a lot of hurry up and wait, so the best thing for your own sanity (and everyone else's) is embrace patience. I'm really anxious about the status too, but nothing moves fast with government administration work. Just know that they're working on getting everyone squared away that was recommended to move forward.
Browsermidwest  
#2629 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2019 3:11:42 PM(UTC)
Browsermidwest

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KYgal03 Go to Quoted Post
Has any of the August 2018 applicants received any news after their interview? I was told that I was moving forward and would know something in June but I have not received any further information. I was just wondering if anyone else had.

Nothing yet
CaitieMFT  
#2630 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2019 3:35:25 PM(UTC)
CaitieMFT

United States

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jayysonn Go to Quoted Post
Anyone from #53 that still haven't received their teletype?
I received the vehicle clarification email last week, but nothing since. I've tried calling and emailing and can't seem to get a response.

Pretty sure most of us have received the teletype. If you pm me your phone number we can add you to our WhatsApp group. Most of us are communicating over there and not as much on the forum!
CaitieMFT  
#2631 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2019 3:36:36 PM(UTC)
CaitieMFT

United States

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Legend of Zella Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jayysonn,

I received the teletype today, maybe about five hours ago via email. I’m not sure if we all received it at the same time or if they send it out in batches. You can pm me if you want.

Hey if you’re not already a part of the WhatsApp group let me know! I can’t tell who’s who based on their usernames😂
stimpy729  
#2632 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2019 6:38:15 AM(UTC)
stimpy729

United States

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mvp375 Go to Quoted Post

Nothing yet

Nothing here either. My phone keeps getting back to back calls from unknown number the past 2 days but no vm. It’s likely spam but I know when my mom worked for the government her work number would come up as unknown. I figure they’ll Email us next steps anyway.
luckydevil  
#2633 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2019 6:42:56 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stimpy729 Go to Quoted Post

Nothing yet

Nothing here either. My phone keeps getting back to back calls from unknown number the past 2 days but no vm. It’s likely spam but I know when my mom worked for the government her work number would come up as unknown. I figure they’ll Email us next steps anyway.

Yes the next step will come via email with your conditional offer.
thanks 2 users thanked luckydevil for this useful post.
stimpy729 on 7/3/2019(UTC), Browsermidwest on 7/3/2019(UTC)
Browsermidwest  
#2634 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2019 7:23:11 AM(UTC)
Browsermidwest

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stimpy729 Go to Quoted Post

Nothing yet

Same- I get a back to back call from an 877# too and it's marked as spam
GearUp  
#2635 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2019 11:48:34 AM(UTC)

I want to congratulate those selected to attend BDI-53. I want to welcome you to the DEA family. Keep and open mind and stay focused. Go with the flow and don't sweat the small stuff. Remember its DEA's house so its DEA's rules. Also remember you asked for this job and attending the Academy is one of the requirements. Besides, its only 12 weeks. Go in with a positive attitude and the right mind set and it'll be over before you know it. Cooperate and graduate on September 26th as a class. I look forward to meeting you in the field one day. Good luck and safe travels.
thanks 9 users thanked for this useful post.
thatsamyzing on 7/3/2019(UTC), bestbrian on 7/3/2019(UTC), USMC03 on 7/3/2019(UTC), Lunchmoney on 7/3/2019(UTC), Legend of Zella on 7/3/2019(UTC), stimpy729 on 7/4/2019(UTC), temeriti on 7/4/2019(UTC), CaitieMFT on 7/4/2019(UTC), thebsktrbbit on 7/5/2019(UTC)
bestbrian  
#2636 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2019 12:45:25 PM(UTC)
bestbrian

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi. I applied for this job on the open announcement last week. Be interesting to see where this goes. I’m guessing the process for those who’ve eventually been hired takes about two years?
luckydevil  
#2637 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2019 1:31:40 PM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bestbrian Go to Quoted Post
Hi. I applied for this job on the open announcement last week. Be interesting to see where this goes. I’m guessing the process for those who’ve eventually been hired takes about two years?

It is going be 3 for me. I applied Feb 2017 and waiting on next class, but they are saying it won't be until March most likely.
DreamChaserNYC  
#2638 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2019 1:43:32 PM(UTC)
DreamChaserNYC

United States

Next class is March 2020...I'm also a February 2017 applicant 😥😥😥
USMC03  
#2639 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2019 4:32:46 PM(UTC)
USMC03

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I applied for this announcement back in June this year I assume I won’t see anything until 2022 or 2025 lol
temeriti  
#2640 Posted : Thursday, July 4, 2019 6:30:33 AM(UTC)
temeriti

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 10 post(s)
So along the same vein as beating the dead horse, I spoke again to the poor harassed folk at HR...they told me that they were waiting for this class to fill up and start, and then they'd begin moving people along a lot faster. She was probably telling me what I wanted to hear, but it was nice hearing it anyway. :p
thanks 2 users thanked temeriti for this useful post.
FinCrimesJD on 7/4/2019(UTC), Browsermidwest on 7/5/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed