Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

13 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kman76867  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2019 6:10:25 PM(UTC)
kman76867

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello everyone. I will be applying for the FBI Honors Internship Program in August and thought I should go ahead and start a place for us to chat and ask questions. I am a Digital Forensics and information Assurance major with a minor in Criminal Justice. I have a 3.71 GPA and am about to be a junior in college. Wish you guys the best in the process. I am doing the internship in hopes for a job after college.
thanks 2 users thanked kman76867 for this useful post.
Slim8 on 8/12/2019(UTC), Iusedafakeemail1 on 10/8/2019(UTC)
lkelly  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 2:03:41 PM(UTC)
lkelly

United States

Hi! I will also be applying for the FBI honors internship in August. Does anyone know where I can reach the application or when it will be posted?
Scoopy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:02:11 PM(UTC)
Scoopy

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: lkelly Go to Quoted Post
Hi! I will also be applying for the FBI honors internship in August. Does anyone know where I can reach the application or when it will be posted?

I have the same question, which is why I'm just going to refer to this link. < https://www.fbijobs.gov/students/undergrad >

I'm sure the directions will be more specific of where to apply once the application is available. Good luck!
B.S. Criminal Justice/Criminology
ymzk  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 6:49:46 AM(UTC)
ymzk

United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that the 2020 Honors Internship Program will be open for applications on the FBIJobs website starting tomorrow August 16th and will CLOSE September 15th. The closing date is ONE MONTH earlier than previous years and late applications won't be accepted. The hiring processes for interns will be a little different this year in an attempt to streamline the process and ensure all interns are adjudicated and notified of their acceptance (or rejection) by May 2020 so they can start the program in June 2020.

There will be key milestones/breakpoints in the process so applicants can have a better idea of where they are in the timeline. When you have applied and have received contact from a POC to begin the background investigation process, please make sure to ask them about the hard deadlines for the Intake phase of your background investigation. They should be able to tell you. For now, the information I've been told was candidates who have not successfully completed the "intake" phase of their background investigations (SF-86, PSI, drug test, polygraph) by mid-January 2020 will be discontinued and their applications rejected. Candidates who completed the Intake phase but have not made it to the "Final Adjudication" phase by the start of May 2020 will be discontinued so individuals are given a timeline and time window to pursue alternative summer opportunities.

I know how many applicants were let down or disappointed this year due to the lack of information and inefficient processes, so I hope providing this information and the revamped hiring process for next year will give you guys a better experience and chance to pursue your goals with the Bureau. Please let me know if you have questions; I will do my best to help.
thanks 4 users thanked ymzk for this useful post.
LittleWolf on 8/15/2019(UTC), Slim8 on 8/15/2019(UTC), Scoopy on 8/16/2019(UTC), Taciturnus on 8/26/2019(UTC)
George Maschke  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 12:31:33 AM(UTC)
George Maschke

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kman76867 Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone. I will be applying for the FBI Honors Internship Program in August and thought I should go ahead and start a place for us to chat and ask questions. I am a Digital Forensics and information Assurance major with a minor in Criminal Justice. I have a 3.71 GPA and am about to be a junior in college. Wish you guys the best in the process. I am doing the internship in hopes for a job after college.

One point to bear in mind is that FBI internships, like regular FBI employment, require that you pass a pre-employment polygraph "test." The FBI, like numerous other federal agencies, continues to rely on this pseudoscientific procedure in defiance of the National Academy of Sciences' finding that "its accuracy in distinguishing actual or potential security violators from innocent test takers is insufficient to justify reliance on its use in employee security screening in federal agencies."

False positives (truthful persons being wrongly branded as liars) are common, and those who fail the FBI polygraph are blacklisted for life. In my opinion, it's a risk not worth taking.
Signal/WhatsApp/Snapchat/Telegram/iMessage: +1-202-810-2105
sheare  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2019 6:38:53 AM(UTC)
sheare

United States

Hi everyone! (I made an account specifically for this internship!)

I just wanted to let those of you interested in the program know that the application is out!

As far as my stats go, I'm an incoming junior at the undergraduate level. I have a 3.75 GPA. My major is Political Science with an interdisciplinary law/crime/sociology minor and an accounting minor. I'm a pre-law school student. I'm heavily involved in the judicial side of my college's student government. I have an interest in white-collar crime as well as corruption/organized crime, so I'm hoping to land myself in a New York City or DC field office with my back-ups being Miami or Chicago.

I guess I have two main concerns I need advice on.

I plan to delay submitting my application as long as possible because I just started an internship with a criminal defense law firm. I want to wait a little bit to be able to fully encapsulate my role in the firm on my resume and the application, especially because the firm is giving me more and more responsibility by the day. Is this a good plan?

Also, I have one really big worry spot on my application. I interned for a company's legal and accounting department during the summer that focused on selling CBD and hemp products. Since I left, they bought medical dispensaries in Colorado and Nevada. I thought it would be a really interesting industry to study legally. Did I essentially ruin my chances at federal employment? Or is there a way I can be transparent about it?

Thanks!
Redacted  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2019 1:43:02 PM(UTC)
Redacted

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
So this is a unique scenario I've found myself in. I applied last year and was accepted, but unfortunately background were not done in time for me and I was told I would have to reapply again in August, so be it. However, this last week my mother got a notice from a federal background investigator regarding an interview about me, meaning that they just recently assigned a BI despite having not reapplied yet? How odd.
elugirl  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2019 2:20:00 PM(UTC)
elugirl

United States

Hello everyone!!

I am also planning on applying for the internship this year. I am currently a sophomore in college and am majoring in accounting. I currently have a 4.0 GPA and hope to become a forensic accountant.

I look forward to getting to know all of you! Best of luck!!!
Slim8  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 12:46:43 PM(UTC)
Slim8

Man
United States

Does anyone know when they will get in contact with you after you submitted the application. I’m assuming after the application period closes.
Alaxis  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 10:38:16 AM(UTC)
Alaxis

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Omg I just submitted my application I’m soooo nervous 😩
reylaws  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 4:59:12 PM(UTC)
reylaws

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Submitting today! Best of luck, everyone! What field offices/headquarters are you all looking at?
Jmc10  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 6:46:27 PM(UTC)
Jmc10

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I've submitted my application as well! I applied Tampa, New York City, and Washington DC Cyber.
saberwarrior  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:30:14 AM(UTC)
saberwarrior

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Does it matter when we apply as long as it is within the dates?
Alaxis  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:52:16 AM(UTC)
Alaxis

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I don’t think it matters the date you apply I was told by my local FO that no one will hear anything until November/December anyways idk how true that is though 🤷🏽‍♀️
thanks 1 user thanked Alaxis for this useful post.
Scoopy on 8/26/2019(UTC)
HOF854  
#15 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2019 11:43:55 AM(UTC)
HOF854

United States

Criminology major (3.5 GPA) here with a certificate of proficiency in Cyber Security and fluent Spanish speaker thanks to my LDS mission, and no kind of criminal record. Former division 1 football player as well. I applied the day the application went public and passed the preliminary screening. Not sure if I want to go HSI route or FBI route upon graduation, I have a lot more connections with SAC's in HSI but I still applied for the internship. My brothers father in law used to oversee all CI for the FBI and he said that the honors internship is amazing. He also told me that the myth of "1 failed polygraph with the FBI and you are blacklisted for life" is total bull crap and is just out there to make the FBI look bad. They hire the people that are most qualified to protect the country, period. Good luck everyone!
elugirl  
#16 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2019 12:59:14 PM(UTC)
elugirl

United States

Hey guys!

I haven't submitted my application yet. Do you guys know if we need references or anything like that?
George Maschke  
#17 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2019 12:07:11 AM(UTC)
George Maschke

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: HOF854 Go to Quoted Post
...My brothers father in law used to oversee all CI for the FBI and he said that the honors internship is amazing. He also told me that the myth of "1 failed polygraph with the FBI and you are blacklisted for life" is total bull crap and is just out there to make the FBI look bad. They hire the people that are most qualified to protect the country, period. Good luck everyone!

Could your brother's father-in-law cite a reference documenting his statement that failing an FBI polygraph doesn't result in a lifetime bar from FBI employment? I've been following FBI polygraph policy closely for nearly a quarter of a century, and I haven't yet found any instance of a person who ever failed an FBI pre-employment polygraph ever gaining employment with the Bureau.
Signal/WhatsApp/Snapchat/Telegram/iMessage: +1-202-810-2105
Taciturnus  
#18 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2019 5:19:01 PM(UTC)
Taciturnus

United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sheare Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone! (I made an account specifically for this internship!)

I just wanted to let those of you interested in the program know that the application is out!

As far as my stats go, I'm an incoming junior at the undergraduate level. I have a 3.75 GPA. My major is Political Science with an interdisciplinary law/crime/sociology minor and an accounting minor. I'm a pre-law school student. I'm heavily involved in the judicial side of my college's student government. I have an interest in white-collar crime as well as corruption/organized crime, so I'm hoping to land myself in a New York City or DC field office with my back-ups being Miami or Chicago.

I guess I have two main concerns I need advice on.

I plan to delay submitting my application as long as possible because I just started an internship with a criminal defense law firm. I want to wait a little bit to be able to fully encapsulate my role in the firm on my resume and the application, especially because the firm is giving me more and more responsibility by the day. Is this a good plan?

Also, I have one really big worry spot on my application. I interned for a company's legal and accounting department during the summer that focused on selling CBD and hemp products. Since I left, they bought medical dispensaries in Colorado and Nevada. I thought it would be a really interesting industry to study legally. Did I essentially ruin my chances at federal employment? Or is there a way I can be transparent about it?

Thanks!

I don't think it matters when during the application period you submit your application as long as you get it in before the deadline. I submitted my application the day before the deadline last year and still got an offer.

As long as you haven't actually consumed marijuana in the last three years, you should be fine - it is work experience at a legitimate company, after all. They might ask you about it a bit, but as long as you're honest you should be fine.
thanks 1 user thanked Taciturnus for this useful post.
sheare on 8/28/2019(UTC)
Taciturnus  
#19 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2019 5:23:28 PM(UTC)
Taciturnus

United States

Originally Posted by: Slim8 Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know when they will get in contact with you after you submitted the application. I’m assuming after the application period closes.

Last year they began contacting us for interviews about half a month after the application closed - the application was open until mid-October and I got a call to schedule an interview November 1st. Considering the application closes a month earlier, if they're going off approximately the same timeline, I'd guess you would be contacted around the beginning of October. If they don't decide to interview you...it's anyone's guess when they'll tell you.
thanks 1 user thanked Taciturnus for this useful post.
Slim8 on 8/26/2019(UTC)
Taciturnus  
#20 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2019 5:25:20 PM(UTC)
Taciturnus

United States

Originally Posted by: Alaxis Go to Quoted Post
I don’t think it matters the date you apply I was told by my local FO that no one will hear anything until November/December anyways idk how true that is though 🤷🏽‍♀️

It shouldn't matter when you apply - I'm fairly certain they don't look at the applications until after it is closed (though I don't know that for certain). If they're not contacting people for interviews until November/December, though, that would kind of defeat the purpose of closing it earlier, so I'm guessing you'll be contacted around October or so.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed