Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.



Federal Employees Benefits Q &A

Do you have questions about your federal employee CSRS or FERS pension/annuity or federal employee retirement planning? Concerns about your Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) account or what about federal employee pay and leave issues?

Ask your question here.

You must Register before posting to this forum.
The Q&A forum is moderated by Ed Zurndorfer -- an expert on federal employee benefits -- and a Certified Financial Planner, chartered life underwriter and chartered financial consultant in Maryland.

Zurndorfer is also the author of several federal employee benefits guides published by Federal Employees News Digest.

Your question will be put into a message queue and submitted for review. We cannot guarantee that all questions will be answered, however any answered questions will appear below, and some will also be featured in our daily Federal Daily e-newsletter (Subscribe here). Federal Soup users should not submit replies to the questions posted, as we leave the replies for the moderator only. Any replies to questions other than the moderator will be deleted.

Please do not submit employee benefits questions to the webmaster or the forum moderator.

Note: FederalSoup.com has attempted to compile information that is as accurate and current as possible for federal employees. Federal policies, laws, regulations, statistics and addresses continually change. Therefore, no warranties are made as to the accuracy or completeness of the information presented in this column. If additional clarification or information is needed, it is suggested that competent and professional assistance be sought. Mr. Zurndorfer does not moderate other forums on FederalSoup and will not reply to general FederalSoup inquiries submitted in this Q&A forum.

Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 9:25:56 AM(UTC)

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/7/2016(UTC)
Posts: 6
United States

I understand that an annuitant who drops FEHB coverage anytime in retirement cannot re-enroll in FEHB. The annuitant can change plans during any open season, but must be continuously enrolled from year-to-year in order to keep it (not including the exception of suspending coverage to enroll into a Medicare Advantage Plan).

If I select a survivor benefit for my spouse and retire with FEHB, does my non-federal spouse also have to be continuously enrolled? For example, could I just be enrolled in a single plan and wait a number of years before adding my spouse?

Assuming I predecease my spouse, would my spouse need to be enrolled before I died, or would it be permissible for my spouse to join FEHB anytime after my retirement? Would the surviving spouse then need to be continuously enrolled?
Ed Zurndorfer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 9:37:35 AM(UTC)
Ed Zurndorfer

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/10/2001(UTC)
Posts: 5,706

Was thanked: 153 time(s) in 142 post(s)
Your non-Federal spouse would not have to be continuously enrolled in the FEHB in order for your spouse to keep FEHB coverage in the event you pre-decease your spouse. However, your spouse would have to be enrolled in the FEHB (as part of self plus one or self and family coverage) at the time of your death in order for your spouse to keep FEHB coverage for the rest of his or her life. This is the case even when you are giving a survivor annuity.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

This page was generated in 0.201 seconds.