Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

29 Pages«<26272829>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GeorgeofTheJungle  
#541 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2019 5:36:35 AM(UTC)
GeorgeofTheJungle

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KiloRomeo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: GeorgeofTheJungle Go to Quoted Post
Just curious. How many of you folks are considering a lateral move to Special Agent down the road? Or are you strictly going for intelligence analyst?

I know where my strengths are and they aren't best used as a SA.

Yeah I suppose. But the higher pay and better retirement is fairly tempting haha. Gun and shield are pretty cool as well.

Edited by user Sunday, July 07, 2019 6:46:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FBI IA App 8/30/18
P1 12/6/18
P2 12/14/18
P2 1/29/19 - Passed
P3 4/17 - CJO
Poly - Passed 6/15
Background TBD
wskv  
#542 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2019 9:59:44 AM(UTC)
wskv

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Just curious. How many of you folks are considering a lateral move to Special Agent down the road? Or are you strictly going for intelligence analyst?

Yeah I suppose. But the higher pay and better retirement is fairly tempting haha. Gun and shield are pretty cool as well.

I saw your other post and hope that you can make the transfer to SA!

I’ve always wanted to serve in some capacity, but I never knew I could do so without a gun and a badge until I started looking into the IASP. I feel like being an IA is where I will truly shine.
2018 IASP
App: 9 Sep 18
P1: 21 Dec
P2: 31 Dec - Pass 23 Jan 19
P3: 12 Jun - Pass 18 Jun
CJO: 5 Jul
Poly: TBD
WaitingIsTheHardestPart  
#543 Posted : Monday, July 08, 2019 7:31:44 AM(UTC)
WaitingIsTheHardestPart

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I noticed your signature changed to passed poly. I know you were asking if you get a pass/fail notification earlier, did you get a notification or how do you know you "passed"? Thanks! Also, as someone who has worked in a special agent position I'd definitely recommend thinking hard about taking a position which requires you to carry a weapon and a badge. It's something that impacts every second of your life, not just work hours, and most people who do it probably wouldn't describe it as "cool", it's a huge responsibility. Just my two cents!
Hampton121  
#544 Posted : Monday, July 08, 2019 7:35:16 AM(UTC)
Hampton121

United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)

I applied for both positions i'm currently going through the SA process just passed my phase 1 test but i'd rather be an intelligence analyst but since I failed phase 2 last year i'm hoping to pass it this year. I'd much rather do this line of work instead of a SA but i'll be satisfied with either one
GeorgeofTheJungle  
#545 Posted : Monday, July 08, 2019 7:50:39 AM(UTC)
GeorgeofTheJungle

Originally Posted by: WaitingIsTheHardestPart Go to Quoted Post

I noticed your signature changed to passed poly. I know you were asking if you get a pass/fail notification earlier, did you get a notification or how do you know you "passed"? Thanks! Also, as someone who has worked in a special agent position I'd definitely recommend thinking hard about taking a position which requires you to carry a weapon and a badge. It's something that impacts every second of your life, not just work hours, and most people who do it probably wouldn't describe it as "cool", it's a huge responsibility. Just my two cents!

Well I was verbally told I passed at the time of the poly and that if I didn't hear anything that I should be good to go. When I called in to my FO to verify they stated "Yeah you're all good, just have to wait for your background to clear" So they never sent an official notification which I'm assuming they don't due to legal reasons.

And to clarify, what I meant regarding the gig being "cool" was the actual working criminal cases aspect. I currently work with law enforcement on cases and the common complaint I hear is that having a gun is mostly a pain haha! The gun and shield is more of an indicator of a true criminal investigator to me and its something I hope to achieve down the road.

May I ask why you left your SA role? If you'd like I could PM you. Just curious as I've worked with a few SA's in different agencies and they genuinely loved their roles.
FBI IA App 8/30/18
P1 12/6/18
P2 12/14/18
P2 1/29/19 - Passed
P3 4/17 - CJO
Poly - Passed 6/15
Background TBD
WaitingIsTheHardestPart  
#546 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 2:02:17 PM(UTC)
WaitingIsTheHardestPart

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WaitingIsTheHardestPart Go to Quoted Post

Well I was verbally told I passed at the time of the poly and that if I didn't hear anything that I should be good to go. When I called in to my FO to verify they stated "Yeah you're all good, just have to wait for your background to clear" So they never sent an official notification which I'm assuming they don't due to legal reasons.

And to clarify, what I meant regarding the gig being "cool" was the actual working criminal cases aspect. I currently work with law enforcement on cases and the common complaint I hear is that having a gun is mostly a pain haha! The gun and shield is more of an indicator of a true criminal investigator to me and its something I hope to achieve down the road.

May I ask why you left your SA role? If you'd like I could PM you. Just curious as I've worked with a few SA's in different agencies and they genuinely loved their roles.

I hope you can achieve that then if it's your goal! You can PM me if you'd like, I did love that particular job, but I left due to location and a job offer where I could advance my career.
Varianz  
#547 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 5:38:14 AM(UTC)
Varianz

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I knew going in this was going to be a long process but the wait and complete silence are incredibly frustrating. No contact since passing P2 in February.
CWilliams81  
#548 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 5:30:39 AM(UTC)
CWilliams81

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Is it safe to assume that if we didn’t get a phase three invite, we should just apply again to the announcement next month? They won’t continue to do phase three testing after they start the next process, correct?
Hampton121  
#549 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 5:32:18 AM(UTC)
Hampton121

United States

Originally Posted by: CWilliams81 Go to Quoted Post
Is it safe to assume that if we didn’t get a phase three invite, we should just apply again to the announcement next month? They won’t continue to do phase three testing after they start the next process, correct?

What is the new process?
CWilliams81  
#550 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 5:35:28 AM(UTC)
CWilliams81

United States

Sorry, that was confusing. I mean the 2019 IA hiring process.
Hampton121  
#551 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 5:39:41 AM(UTC)
Hampton121

United States

What's the difference between the 2018 IA hiring process and the 2019 IA hiring process?
CWilliams81  
#552 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 7:02:34 AM(UTC)
CWilliams81

United States

Originally Posted by: Hampton121 Go to Quoted Post

What's the difference between the 2018 IA hiring process and the 2019 IA hiring process?

I don’t think there’s any difference per se, I was just under the impression that once the 2019 process starts, phase three testing for the 2018 announcement is over and any 2018 applicants who didn’t get a phase three invite will have to reapply. But again, that was just my impression from reading these forums, I was looking for someone to confirm this.
Chschof  
#553 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:00:38 AM(UTC)
Chschof

United States

I just talked to my field office and was told not to reapply and that those who passed PII in January should hear back within a month or so.

If nothing after a month then I've to call back an ask about reapplying after the 2019 IASP opens.
thanks 1 user thanked Chschof for this useful post.
wskv on 7/11/2019(UTC)
wskv  
#554 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 2:07:38 PM(UTC)
wskv

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Who here has already started making their ranked FO list? What locations do y’all have your eyes on, and what factors are you considering for ranking?
2018 IASP
App: 9 Sep 18
P1: 21 Dec
P2: 31 Dec - Pass 23 Jan 19
P3: 12 Jun - Pass 18 Jun
CJO: 5 Jul
Poly: TBD
Varianz  
#555 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2019 8:59:54 AM(UTC)
Varianz

Originally Posted by: Chschof Go to Quoted Post

I just talked to my field office and was told not to reapply and that those who passed PII in January should hear back within a month or so.

If nothing after a month then I've to call back an ask about reapplying after the 2019 IASP opens.

Mind saying which field office? Maybe I should reach out to mine and see, but another months wait just to hear about PIII makes me worry that it'll be a "you weren't selected try again" email since it lines right up with when applications open up for 2019.
Hampton121  
#556 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2019 9:37:04 AM(UTC)
Hampton121

United States

Originally Posted by: Poplou Go to Quoted Post

I don’t think there’s any difference per se, I was just under the impression that once the 2019 process starts, phase three testing for the 2018 announcement is over and any 2018 applicants who didn’t get a phase three invite will have to reapply. But again, that was just my impression from reading these forums, I was looking for someone to confirm this.

Wrong. There is a big difference. Every year, the bureau changes the critical skills they are seeking for IA and SA. They will be stated on the announcement.

So, let’s say you are a criminal justice major and IA 2018 says they are looking for those majors. Great. You stand a realistic chance.

But let’s say you only made it to phase 2. Now IA 2019 is posted but the new critical skills they are looking for in 2019 are now computer science, Juris Doctors, and chem/bio majors.

In the IA information packet it said criminal justice is a background of interest that they look for so why would that change because it's another vacancy announcement?

Guess? You now have an ice cubes chance in hell of being hired under IA 2019 and just have to hope CJ majors will be back on IA 2020.

Chschof  
#557 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2019 9:46:54 AM(UTC)
Chschof

United States

Originally Posted by: Varianz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Chschof Go to Quoted Post

Mind saying which field office? Maybe I should reach out to mine and see, but another months wait just to hear about PIII makes me worry that it'll be a "you weren't selected try again" email since it lines right up with when applications open up for 2019.

Minneapolis 😁
Hampton121  
#558 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2019 1:07:09 PM(UTC)
Hampton121

United States

Originally Posted by: Poplou Go to Quoted Post
"In the IA information packet it said criminal justice is a background of interest that they look for so why would that change because it's another vacancy announcement?"

I was just using criminal justice as a random example. However, now that you mention it, criminal justice is actually one of the WORST majors possible. The FBI ranks it at the bottom of damn near any other major. Accounting, any STEM major, political science, etc. ALL rank above criminal justice in hiring priority.

Why? Criminal justice imparts no *skills* that are in demand. They can't do anything of real value for the intelligence community simply by virtue of having a CJ major. For instance, they can't do forensic lab work like a chem/bio major, they can't help track rogue nuclear weapons/material like a physics major, they can't read or write computer code like a computer science major, they can't speak in demand IC languages such as Mandarin/Farsi/Arabic/Russian, they can't break encryption like a mathematics major, they can't trace money like an accounting major, they can't track someone's network activity online like an IT major, they can't even analyze foreign affairs/fringe political groups/etc. like a political science major, etc.

Criminal justice majors prepare you to be a street cop or probation officer. In other words, directly working with routine every day offenders in a social services type arena. This is beyond what agencies like the FBI currently do; they are more intelligence based agencies now. They want the skills I noted above, and the CJ major alone simply does not provide them.

It is a dime a dozen major that is almost universally considered a blow off major. Other majors crush criminal justice in terms of intellect required to successfully complete the major. (This is reflected in quantitative data; for example, criminal justice majors score at the very bottom of all majors on average when they take the LSAT as well as other tests such as the GRE. This is widely known; Google it. CJ majors are literally at the bottom whenever they are tested for virtually any skill/IQ.)

Now, does this mean a CJ major in itself is going to hurt you? No. Not as long as you supplement it with something like learning to code, getting IT certifications, learning a foreign language of value to the intelligence community, etc. But CJ by itself? You are going to be put dead last of any other major basically.

And yes, the majors the FBI recruits for IA and SA CHANGE every announcement. This is why the IA announcement that you applied for listed acceptable majors; IA 2018 was actually the broadest IA announcement in a long time in that it took a wide variety of majors including CJ. IA 2017, for example, did NOT list CJ as an acceptable major that year. I doubt IA 2019 will.

U sound like u have some serious hate for criminal justice majors
Hampton121  
#559 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2019 1:30:10 PM(UTC)
Hampton121

United States

Well this could be a ray of sunshine for everyone the IA_SP HR ppl emailed me back saying that there won't be any qualification changes from IA 18 vacancy
Varianz  
#560 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2019 1:35:44 PM(UTC)
Varianz

Well this could be a ray of sunshine for everyone the IA_SP HR ppl emailed me back saying that there won't be any qualification changes from IA 18 vacancy

Not surprising. The FBI has documented issues hiring enough people of late. They even loosened SA standards
Rss Feed  Atom Feed