Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

82 Pages«<7677787980>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scottyd27  
#1541 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2019 2:44:04 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 184 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Probably a mistake. But unless you are a GS11 RO you won’t qualify

https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/536185600

That’s only open to internals.

Edited by user Thursday, July 18, 2019 2:45:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

randomuser99  
#1542 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2019 2:58:46 PM(UTC)
randomuser99

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post
Probably a mistake. But unless you are a GS11 RO you won’t qualify

https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/536185600

That’s only open to internals.

Thanks for the info. I see that the job description for both is the same, verbatim. They must just recycle it for all the RO postings.

Edited by user Thursday, July 18, 2019 3:14:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scottyd27  
#1543 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2019 4:31:27 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

The job description doesn’t change much
NYer  
#1544 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 2:15:09 PM(UTC)
NYer

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
An update for NYC area.

I was offered a tentative offer for Queens (corona) location after all.
I have accepted it. However, I need a selective service waiver (draft) before I can get a firm offer. So I am still not sure if that will happen..

Assuming it happens, so far my understanding is that during 1st year
1. I will have about 3 months of out of town training broken in 2 to 3 week steps.
2. I will be working in office rest of the time.

I still have following questions if someone can answer.
1. Do you get tolls/ travel expense in your 1st year for travel to and from office? In NY that gets expensive quickly.
2. In 2nd year, do you automatically qualify for work from home or if you need approval and it may not be given?
3. If you can work from home, how many days are field days? IOW, How many days do you have to go out each week.

thanks.
ressgonzol  
#1545 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 2:24:58 PM(UTC)
ressgonzol

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NYer Go to Quoted Post
An update for NYC area.

I have accepted it. However, I need a selective service waiver (draft) before I can get a firm offer. So I am still not sure if that will happen..

1. I will have about 3 months of out of town training broken in 2 to 3 week steps.

1. Do you get tolls/ travel expense in your 1st year for travel to and from office? In NY that gets expensive quickly.
2. In 2nd year, do you automatically qualify for work from home or if you need approval and it may not be given?
3. If you can work from home, how many days are field days? IOW, How many days do you have to go out each week.

thanks.

1. Tolls and other driving expenses are your cost to bare. However, if you use public transportation like trains, subways, buses etc. you can get a Federal employee transit card that will pay up to around $250 per month in qualified expenses. Parking not included.
2. You need approval but everyone gets approved unless you are really under-performing.
3. You should aim for a minimum of 1 field day per week.

scottyd27  
#1546 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 3:55:14 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

As a GS9 or even a GS11 RO you should plan 2 days a week field time.

This pay period I have been in he field 6 out of 10 business days.

I do a lot of field follow ups

Flexi-place is a privilege not a right. If you aren’t performing at a ’fully successful’ flex can be taken away. If in the first year you don’t get a fully successful you won’t have to worrry about flexing in year two because you will no longer be employed.

Edited by user Friday, July 19, 2019 3:57:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NYer  
#1547 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 5:18:51 PM(UTC)
NYer

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ressgonzol Go to Quoted Post
An update for NYC area.

thanks.

1. Tolls and other driving expenses are your cost to bare. However, if you use public transportation like trains, subways, buses etc. you can get a Federal employee transit card that will pay up to around $250 per month in qualified expenses. Parking not included.
2. You need approval but everyone gets approved unless you are really under-performing.

Thanks.. 2 days is not a problem at all. One of the things I liked about the role was ability to work from home. My location is about 1 hour away each way. I can manage that during 1st year but if I have to do that 4 times a week even in 2nd year and onwards, its just not doable which is why I was checking.

btw, I saw IRS has a location in Westchester county. How would one go about transferring after the 1st year? Does any place IRS have an office is a potential location or RO locations are different than IRS locations facing taxpayers?
JSwartzel88  
#1548 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 6:57:55 PM(UTC)
JSwartzel88

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Do we get to work from home after our first year?
federalgovtjobseeker  
#1549 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 9:02:54 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 66 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JSwartzel88 Go to Quoted Post
Do we get to work from home after our first year?

With approval from your manager and a fully successful rating your first year, yes.
scottyd27  
#1550 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 4:32:31 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

It’s not easy to transfer until you receive and ‘exceeds’ rating.

Unless you can get a job swap or hardship
jam  
#1551 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 5:19:53 PM(UTC)
jam

Hardship after a year , if you get approved
SONshine  
#1552 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 5:51:32 PM(UTC)
SONshine

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
To anyone that may know - When it comes to performance evaluations, what are you rated on? What competencies or metric attainment is considered satisfactory or exceeds?
scottyd27  
#1553 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:42:01 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

You are measured on critical job elements (CJE)

There are five of them with separate attributes.

You are not rated on Tax enforcement reaults TER or record of tax enforcement results ROTR.

You are rate on attributes like protecting the public interest, tax payer rights, documentation, etc.

The ratings are 1-5, 1 being terrible and 5 being outstanding.

A 3 is considered ‘fully suceasful’. My last Annual review I got a 4.2 exceeds.

Edited by user Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:43:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
SONshine on 7/22/2019(UTC)
splittingAces17  
#1554 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 7:11:59 AM(UTC)
splittingAces17

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ressgonzol Go to Quoted Post
An update for NYC area.

thanks.

Thanks.. 2 days is not a problem at all. One of the things I liked about the role was ability to work from home. My location is about 1 hour away each way. I can manage that during 1st year but if I have to do that 4 times a week even in 2nd year and onwards, its just not doable which is why I was checking.

btw, I saw IRS has a location in Westchester county. How would one go about transferring after the 1st year? Does any place IRS have an office is a potential location or RO locations are different than IRS locations facing taxpayers?

They also have a Bi Annual announcement on USA jobs, which comes out twice a year, and you can apply to other offices within the same area. I believe Westchester is in the same zone as all NYC and Long Island locations. If they have a position available they will try and fill it with that announcement before announcing the entire position. This is what I have been told, this has never worked for me because the office I wanted to go to did not have any vacancies. It also has to be the exact job description and career ladder. Hardship transfer is never guaranteed, if you are approved for the reason of the Hardship, you still need to wait for a vacancy to open up at the office you are trying to get into. Sometimes they may offer you a position with the same job series at or below the grade level of your current position but cannot exceed the career ladder you are currently on. Basically they don't allow people to use Hardships to climb the career ladder. I have been through the Hardship process and you need to reapply I believe every 6 months. Hope that helps
scottyd27  
#1555 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 7:27:32 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Well that’s not entirely accurate on the hardship.

You can ask your TM to invoke article 15 of the national agreement. That makes it a little faster
SONshine  
#1556 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 7:31:42 AM(UTC)
SONshine

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
@scottyd27 Awesome! Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Very informative.
splittingAces17  
#1557 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 11:55:19 AM(UTC)
splittingAces17

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post
Well that’s not entirely accurate on the hardship.

You can ask your TM to invoke article 15 of the national agreement. That makes it a little faster

Not sure what was inaccurate. I applied for a Hardship due to a family medical issue and needed to relocate about 150 miles. I was told by the Union as well as the Hardship coordinator that if anything with the same job series came up that held the same career ladder or lower would be an eligible transfer. My job series was a 501 with grade 9 being the highest in the career ladder, and most job series with a 0501 went to a grade 11 (such as Tax Analyst), and therefore was not eligible to move. I was told that a position would need to be vacant, I knew of some people who had retired and thought I would get in because of the available vacancy. They informed me that if someone retires the vacancy retires as well. It took me almost 5 months for the office I was trying to relocate to, to have an open vacancy. I was going back and forth with my Union and Hardship coordinator almost a few times a month trying to push the issue. It could be possible that the Union and Hardship coordinator might of overlooked something that would of benefitted me and could of made it a little faster. But I was told it would be no guarantee and you would need to reapply every 6 months until they would be able to relocate me.

Article 15 Section 5 confirms what I am talking about. However they may have changed the recertification from 6 months, looks like you have to do it every calendar year instead.

Edited by user Monday, July 22, 2019 12:10:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scottyd27  
#1558 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 3:24:41 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

It took six months for me. But once I had the TM talk to another TM through article 15. After that it took a month
jam  
#1559 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2019 4:10:00 AM(UTC)
jam

How soon can you apply for hardship relocation, can you apply while you are in a probationary period? Thanks.
scottyd27  
#1560 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2019 4:27:28 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

No you can’t. You have to be out of probationary period
Rss Feed  Atom Feed