Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Social Security Administration

The Social Security Administration (SSA) is an independent agency of the United States federal government that administers Social Security, a social insurance program consisting of retirement, disability, and survivors' benefits. To qualify for these benefits, most American workers pay Social Security taxes on their earnings; future benefits are based on the employees' contributions. (Source: Wikipedia)

Perhaps you are working for the SSA or interested in working for the SSA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the SSA.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rvortines  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2015 4:24:58 PM(UTC)
rvortines

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello, I just wanted to ask anyone on this forum on the best way they wrote their SSA 45 for SSA, in order to get a promotion. Can anyone give me some advice? Also advice on any thing that they've done to get promoted? I'm a GS 11 Claims Authorizer and I have about 6 years with SSA. I keep on applying, and I think I've applied 50 times with a handful of applications. However, I always get denied for a position. How do I know when to stop applying? How has your experience been? Did you just apply like I had been by applying to ANY promotions? Please help! Thank you in advance!
rvortines  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:03:47 AM(UTC)
rvortines

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Actually, just needed advice on format such as: Should it be paragraph style or bullit style, use of the word "I", how far back to list employer or should you just list employers that you've done duties related to the position you are applying for? The question is about style, rather than content. If it helps, I'm talking about promoted from a claims authorizer to Program Analyst or Management Analyst (GS -12). Thanks.
GoHuskers  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2015 9:18:09 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 99 post(s)
Nightchop has given some good advice. Also make sure you use correct grammar and check for spelling errors. As a CA, you must be in a PSC or ODO. The Program Analyst jobs in those components require good writing and analytical skills, so you certainly want the SSA-45 to reflect that you have those.

Having said that, my experience in the 36+ years that I worked in a PSC was that in addition to performing well in your actual job, an important factor in getting promoted beyond the GS-11 level was getting your name out there so it was recognized by the higher ups that will be making the promotion decision. Ways to do that could include volunteering for teaching and mentoring details and special assignments, or being actively involved in activities such as the CFC. You need to separate yourself from all the other CAs that have much the same experience as you and are also trying to move up.
CALRPCV  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 1:55:48 PM(UTC)
CALRPCV

United States

Hello, I am working on completing my SSA-45 for a GS 11 position, but as the original poster have had trouble finding information regarding how it should be written. GoHuskers mentions 'Nightchop' but I can't find his posts, anyone know where more information might be, or have some themselves? Thanks very much
Polar Bear  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 5:45:58 AM(UTC)
Polar Bear

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Do the HR links on the intranet not help? My PC seems to have them. Good luck. We don't have more than an odd dozen OAS positions, and those only open in a blue moon.

Try lateraling, doing stints in other job disciplines. Go to a field office, etc. All of the OAS people at my payment center have done multiple roles, in and out of management as well.

Edited by user Sunday, July 21, 2019 5:49:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed