Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nonewsnotgood  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 6:06:57 AM(UTC)
nonewsnotgood

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Has anyone else been asked by a manager to return days, already approved? We got a new Operations Manager in Pittsburgh, PA and I have requested Mondays off. I have only done this late in the year since I am trying to burn any use or lose time in anticipation of a possible furlough.

I just had all the Mondays in August approved. They were available on the Ad Hoc system too. Now my manager asked me to return days off that were approved!

The rumor is now management doesn't like us taking Mondays or Fridays off. If I did this the whole year I would see a possible reason to question that. And this isn't in peak call times. The calls are dropping in volume in my opinion.

But has anyone NOT in Pittsburgh,PA been asked to return approved days off? Have YOU'VE been told Mondays or Fridays should NOT be requested (even if available)?

I want to know if this is local issue in Pittsburgh, PA or is it a national issue.

And IRS could fix this in one of several ways.

1. Pay me for LEAVE TIME they won't let me use
2. Black out days not allowed to be requested (like July 5th)
3. Change the leave rules and openly state leave will only be given at the discretion of management's whims!

Oh of course I asked the union for help. This is one of the reasons I joined .

Edited by user Saturday, July 20, 2019 7:29:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

chriswt25  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:35:58 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nonewsnotgood Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone else been asked by a manager to return days, already approved? We got a new Operations Manager in Pittsburgh, PA and I have requested Mondays off. I have only done this late in the year since I am trying to burn any use or lose time in anticipation of a possible furlough.

I just had all the Mondays in August approved. They were available on the Ad Hoc system too. Now my manager asked me to return days off that were approved!

The rumor is now management doesn't like us taking Mondays or Fridays off. If I did this the whole year I would see a possible reason to question that. And this isn't in peak call times. The calls are dropping in volume in my opinion.

But has anyone NOT in Pittsburgh,PA been asked to return approved days off? Have YOU'VE been told Mondays or Fridays should NOT be requested (even if available)?

I want to know if this is local issue in Pittsburgh, PA or is it a national issue.

And IRS could fix this in one of several ways.

1. Pay me for LEAVE TIME they won't let me use
2. Black out days not allowed to be requested (like July 5th)
3. Change the leave rules and openly state leave will only be given at the discretion of management's whims!

Oh of course I asked the union for help. This is one of the reasons I joined .

i bet they will use the "needs of the business' excuse. Anyway here is the policy;

6.630.1.3 (01-06-2017)
Annual Leave

Annual leave, as provided by 5 USC 6301-6304, 6306, and 6308, and 5 CFR 630, subparts B and C, may be used for vacations, rest and relaxation, and personal business or emergencies.

Employees must generally request annual leave in advance and receive managerial approval prior to use. Managers must ensure that employees’ use of annual leave does not impact business operations while, at the same time, balancing employee needs. Generally, annual leave is scheduled and approved or disapproved at the time it is requested by the employee.

An employee has a right to take annual leave, subject to managerial approval, however:

Annual leave may be denied when workload and staffing needs necessitate the employee be on duty;

Except for critical business requirements, annual leave should not be granted when it would necessitate the payment of overtime to maintain work schedules or would otherwise impede workload accomplishment; or
Annual leave should be scheduled to prevent employees from forfeiting the annual leave in excess of the maximum carryover amount permissible under leave regulations, as described in IRM 6.630.1.3.1(6).

Annual leave may be used and charged in 15-minute increments.

I would say that I have scheduled day trips on the already approved days, and it will also affect other people who have taken off to join you.

nonewsnotgood  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:31:59 AM(UTC)
nonewsnotgood

United States

I think, going by the 'rumors' I have heard, the new operations manager didn't like that people were using Ad Hoc to request Mondays and Fridays off. Last year around this time was taking a string of Wednesdays. Some managers have hinted that these people are trying to create "alternative" work schedules. Now had I requested evey Monday off since January or February then they would have a point. If they LOOKED at my usage of leave would it show a pattern? Of course it does. Year after year I avoid taking time off during peak filing season times and burn it off during off peak times like NOW.

So in the future I guess I have to start requesting days off close around the first days of filing or maybe around the last days when call volume would be at it's HEIGHT....to avoid not creatng a pattern! This is what they will get.

The IRS is really starting to grate on me. When I came to the IRS I expected a well organized and professional organization. Those are the things they are not. You get petty harassment. Arbitrary treatment from management for some and total flexibility for others.

I could understand this if I were a poor employee. But not to toot my own horn but my reviews were always very good and I always got a bonus.

It's not the calls I hate, sure you get tough ones. But how management treats you.

Edited by user Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:33:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

chriswt25  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 11:12:44 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Originally Posted by: nonewsnotgood Go to Quoted Post
I think, going by the 'rumors' I have heard, the new operations manager didn't like that people were using Ad Hoc to request Mondays and Fridays off. Last year around this time was taking a string of Wednesdays. Some managers have hinted that these people are trying to create "alternative" work schedules. Now had I requested evey Monday off since January or February then they would have a point. If they LOOKED at my usage of leave would it show a pattern? Of course it does. Year after year I avoid taking time off during peak filing season times and burn it off during off peak times like NOW.

So in the future I guess I have to start requesting days off close around the first days of filing or maybe around the last days when call volume would be at it's HEIGHT....to avoid not creatng a pattern! This is what they will get.

The IRS is really starting to grate on me. When I came to the IRS I expected a well organized and professional organization. Those are the things they are not. You get petty harassment. Arbitrary treatment from management for some and total flexibility for others.

I could understand this if I were a poor employee. But not to toot my own horn but my reviews were always very good and I always got a bonus.

It's not the calls I hate, sure you get tough ones. But how management treats you.

The IRS management creed is "We are not happy, if you are happy"
LieutenantBlantyre  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 12:41:41 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post
The IRS management creed is "We "We are not happy, if you are happy"

You must have missed a SERP Alert there. I could have sworn the current version is: “We are not happy”.

The last time the current Director of AM answered questions about morale while in the lower rank of Cincinnati field director resulted in her putting it, if I can paraphrase, that employers are always hiring and that we are easily replaced as CSRs. We are interchangeable, replaceable cannon fodder to her in so many ways. I keep that in mind when I run numbers as to when I’m cleaning out my desk.

nonewsnotgood  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 1:16:27 PM(UTC)
nonewsnotgood

United States

Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post

You must have missed a SERP Alert there. I could have sworn the current version is: “We are not happy”.

The last time the current Director of AM answered questions about morale while in the lower rank of Cincinnati field director resulted in her putting it, if I can paraphrase, that employers are always hiring and that we are easily replaced as CSRs. We are interchangeable, replaceable cannon fodder to her in so many ways. I keep that in mind when I run numbers as to when I’m cleaning out my desk.

Was that person named Rose?

chriswt25  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 2:26:44 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Let the countdown begin. After 18 years, my last day will be 11/29/19.

nonewsnotgood  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2019 3:31:59 PM(UTC)
nonewsnotgood

United States

Let the countdown begin. After 18 years, my last day will be 11/29/19.

Good luck! IRS people seem so much happier ONCE they retire.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed