Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
caliaudit  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2019 6:10:46 PM(UTC)
caliaudit

Groups: Registered
United States

I have been looking at this forum for a while. I got my FO on June 19th but I start on August 19. I sent my EQIP information and the additional security clearance form. Will they contact my current employer for the background search? I have not told them I am leaving yet. I wanted to just give a two week notice.

Thanks
ashulein  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2019 7:22:14 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I would be shocked if they conducted/completed a full on background check that quickly though I certainly couldn't rule it out as a possibility. My experience with government background checks (for low security clearance jobs that is) is that they do a quick check (if anything at all) and you are given temporary approval until they conduct the full background check at a later time. One time I didn't get word the check was complete until a year later and I wasn't even in the original seasonal position I was hired for that required it. If at a later time there are any issues that arise such as you lied on the background check and got found out and/or you were honest about something that makes you unemployable but someone finally bothers to read what was submitted they will address it and you might end up getting removed. But if your concern is them calling your current employer after you have already received an offer and the window you want it not disclosed is 2-3 weeks from today... well, I would take the odds that you will be fine.

Edited by user Monday, July 15, 2019 7:25:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
caliaudit on 7/16/2019(UTC)
mexicali  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2019 6:39:53 AM(UTC)
mexicali

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I just got called by the Investigator to go over my eQIP and attachment responses. I filled out the eQip once I accepted the SBSE position and before I got offered the LB&I position, so approximately one month ago. (Did not start any positions yet, just waiting for TO from LB&I. ) The investigator went simply over any outstanding items which caught someone's attention. Seems like they get a list on what to ask and which questions, the IRS (whatever level of clearance) needs. Really, nothing too tricky or crazy, as long as you provided all the necessary details on your eQip.
Now, 2 interesting things - 1) he mentioned that the background process is already at then end, when I asked when my current supervisor will be contacted. I am still at my old job and I somewhat do not want my boss to know yet, since my anticipated starting date would be only mid-September. He said that most of the background check was done and for this level of clearance it inquiries are done mostly by the phone and possibly with Personnel, Human Resource department vs. actual individuals. I know someone mentioned that the process may take over a year...well looks like it is fast-tracked.
2) He stated my fingerprints show my birth place somewhere in West Africa... this is extremely odd, since yes, I am a Naturalized citizen, but from Northern Europe. I know some of folks here mentioned that fingerprint process is outsourced and often screwed up. I am hoping that this ridiculous thing would not prevent me from getting cleared.

Did anyone get similar calls?
scottyd27  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2019 11:56:57 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 184 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Originally Posted by: caliaudit Go to Quoted Post
I have been looking at this forum for a while. I got my FO on June 19th but I start on August 19. I sent my EQIP information and the additional security clearance form. Will they contact my current employer for the background search? I have not told them I am leaving yet. I wanted to just give a two week notice.

Thanks

You give the IRS to much credit.

They aren’t going to get to your background check for 2 years.

You’ll clear finger printing and be hired. Unless you have a criminal record that shows up in finger printing you’re fine.
chickenboi  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 12:05:16 PM(UTC)
chickenboi

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
does anyone know timing/number of references that are checked in the background check process?
federalgovtjobseeker  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 12:12:23 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chickenboi Go to Quoted Post
does anyone know timing/number of references that are checked in the background check process?

Depends what background check you do. Some are public trust, some are even more basic. You will have to provide 3 references but there will be more people you need to enter into the EQIP system than that. It's not bad though, I promise. Took me 2 hours max.
thanks 1 user thanked federalgovtjobseeker for this useful post.
chickenboi on 7/19/2019(UTC)
teeeeej  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 12:21:23 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: federalgovtjobseeker Go to Quoted Post

Depends what background check you do. Some are public trust, some are even more basic. You will have to provide 3 references but there will be more people you need to enter into the EQIP system than that. It's not bad though, I promise. Took me 2 hours max.

Make sure you save a PDF of your completed E-Qip, you have to manually enter a lot of that stuff again.
thanks 2 users thanked teeeeej for this useful post.
chickenboi on 7/19/2019(UTC), WheysnMeans on 7/20/2019(UTC)
meinhoonna  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:04:54 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: federalgovtjobseeker Go to Quoted Post

Make sure you save a PDF of your completed E-Qip, you have to manually enter a lot of that stuff again.

If I am not mistaken, there needs to be different accounts created if you have dealt with a different agency in the past but the information gets saved in the system - most of it. Save pdf for quick reference but data should be there
teeeeej  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 6:16:50 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
When I had to do a corrected etip they made me manually fill out a lot of stuff like every country ive been to past 10 years, each trip.
Hired 2015  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 2:08:16 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 21 post(s)
One of my Dad's BFFs growing up was a police captain and he had a great saying that I think of so often - Its a process, be prepared and be on time. From there a whole career is possible.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed