Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability (Rehabilitation Act)

Post your thoughts and opinions here about disability-related news topics. Members can exchange their experiences and information so to help others navigate the different programs and services available.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hank6285  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2019 7:45:29 AM(UTC)
Hank6285

Groups: Registered

Hello,

Maybe someone can give me insight on applying under Schedule A

I understand you must be qualified and it does not guarantee you a job.
However, a position opened up at my Agency. It was a nationwide announcement with my Agency location listed.
I am currently a grade 7. The announcement was 9/11 MERIT PROMOTION, open to disability candidates as well.

I received an email stating I scored 100 on the application for grade 9. I also scored 100 for the grade 11.
Another email was sent, saying I wasn’t referred to the Selecting Official. To my understanding, aren’t Schedule A applicants on a separate referral list? If not, then what’s the benefit of applying under Schedule A ?

I tried contacting HR in the job announcement. As expected, No reply.
Polar Bear  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2019 8:23:45 AM(UTC)
Polar Bear

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
No you won't be on a separate list. In fact if you apply schedule a and there is vet hiring, they will still get priority. (as an example) I am sorry it didn't work out for you. For your own sanity, stop questioning it and move on.

The best way to use this authority, imo, is to use it with the jobs that only use schedule A or other excepted service hiring authority. Not with mixed ads.

Edited by user Saturday, July 27, 2019 8:26:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Manta81  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2019 8:44:34 PM(UTC)
Manta81

Schedule A just gives you another hiring path. The more hiring paths you have, the more opportunities can be afforded to you. Now that I have reached tenure, I have 3 hiring paths available to me (public, Schedule A, competitive). There have been jobs that aren't open to the public or competitive status but welcomed Schedule A people. But it just makes you eligible - not given preference like vets.
TheRealOrange  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2019 3:58:54 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 137 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Polar Bear Go to Quoted Post
No you won't be on a separate list. In fact if you apply schedule a and there is vet hiring, they will still get priority. (as an example) I am sorry it didn't work out for you. For your own sanity, stop questioning it and move on.

The best way to use this authority, imo, is to use it with the jobs that only use schedule A or other excepted service hiring authority. Not with mixed ads.

There would definitely be a separate list at some agencies, like my current agency. And, depending on the list used (e.g., Merit Promotion), Veterans Preference might not apply. For the last position I filled, I received four separate rosters of eligible candidates (Category Rating, Merit Promotion, Non-Competitive, and Schedule A). The OP would need to speak to HR about the process used at the agency involved.
HR Bubba  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2019 9:56:18 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 193 post(s)
The scores are meaningless on a Merit Promotion recruitment! If used, all they would do is set a cut-off score in the event that there are a lot of applicants. For example, lets say 300 people applied, we could set a cutoff score of 95 and anyone below this score would automatically be removed from consideration (they should receive an email stating that they were not among the best qualified). We would then manually screen anyone who scored 95 or above for a qualifications determination. If qualified then you are referred, if not then not referred. Your post says you were not referred, but it should give a little more info as to why (e.g., not among best qualified, not qualified, not in area of consideration, etc.). Again, the score does not mean you are qualified, it is simply a score generated based on an applicant's answers to the assessment questions and believe me when I say that a score of 100 is about as rare as oxygen...the vast majority of applicants score a 100.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed