Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

162 Pages«<158159160161162>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
guruebby  
#3181 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 8:18:02 AM(UTC)
guruebby

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Originally Posted by: feds101 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: guruebby Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Tayklorrr Go to Quoted Post
so I got an email saying training would be held in one of three cities one of them being my city Ogden, Utah. Are chances pretty good this is where I will train? I was hoping to go somewhere else for 5 weeks, but whatever happens, happens.

If you are local to one of the training sites, that's where you will train. They aren't going to send you elsewhere for five weeks when they can train you at "home" for "free."

Understandable. Do they pay for a hotel if you don't live close? I'm an hour away from training site.

Not 100% sure how the IRS will do things, but in my experience with other agencies, an hour is usually considered commuting distance and you might be expected to drive every day.

I'd ask HR or your sponsor (if you have one already) for clarification.
thanks 1 user thanked guruebby for this useful post.
feds101 on 7/29/2019(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#3182 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 8:56:50 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 46 post(s)
so I got an email saying training would be held in one of three cities one of them being my city Ogden, Utah. Are chances pretty good this is where I will train? I was hoping to go somewhere else for 5 weeks, but whatever happens, happens.

If you are local to one of the training sites, that's where you will train. They aren't going to send you elsewhere for five weeks when they can train you at "home" for "free."

Understandable. Do they pay for a hotel if you don't live close? I'm an hour away from training site.

Not 100% sure how the IRS will do things, but in my experience with other agencies, an hour is usually considered commuting distance and you might be expected to drive every day.

They will pay for lodging of you are more than 40 miles away from the training site.
thanks 1 user thanked IRSSpecialAgent_1Day for this useful post.
feds101 on 7/29/2019(UTC)
Tbshd98  
#3183 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 9:30:56 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IRSSpecialAgent_1Day Go to Quoted Post

They will pay for lodging of you are more than 40 miles away from the training site.

When do they require you to fly vs drive yourself? I am roughly 3 hours away from the training site.
guruebby  
#3184 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 9:48:59 AM(UTC)
guruebby

United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tbshd98 Go to Quoted Post

When do they require you to fly vs drive yourself? I am roughly 3 hours away from the training site.

It will be based on mileage and whichever way is cheaper for them. I'd drive if I was you, honestly, so you have a means to get around and return home on weekends (if they allow it). If you fly, you won't have the same freedom.
thanks 1 user thanked guruebby for this useful post.
feds101 on 7/30/2019(UTC)
IceCream26  
#3185 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 11:26:27 AM(UTC)
IceCream26

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The exempt org RA position just switched to Referred for me. Does anyone have any details when this position would start? Anyone got a TO yet?
I'm one of the ones that didn't get selected for the RA position that started in June. (External, CAT A, BQ, Southern California)
Also, anyone got any stories of how many times they applied to get into the gov? I am so over public at this point.
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#3186 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2019 2:37:41 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

It will be based on mileage and whichever way is cheaper for them. I'd drive if I was you, honestly, so you have a means to get around and return home on weekends (if they allow it). If you fly, you won't have the same freedom.

You can choose to drive or fly. The govt won’t make you pick one over the other. You will complete a cost comparison and will only be paid the cheaper of the options.

I drive to 12 hours to GA cause I was stationed there for 6 months. It cost $500 to fly there and $600 to drove there using the mileage rate. I was paid $500 because it was cheaper on the cost comparison
thanks 2 users thanked IRSSpecialAgent_1Day for this useful post.
Tbshd98 on 7/30/2019(UTC), feds101 on 7/30/2019(UTC)
Tbshd98  
#3187 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2019 4:39:14 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 12 post(s)

You can choose to drive or fly. The govt won’t make you pick one over the other. You will complete a cost comparison and will only be paid the cheaper of the options.

I drive to 12 hours to GA cause I was stationed there for 6 months. It cost $500 to fly there and $600 to drove there using the mileage rate. I was paid $500 because it was cheaper on the cost comparison

Does airport parking figure into the cost comparison?
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#3188 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2019 5:15:20 PM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Does airport parking figure into the cost comparison?

No.
thanks 1 user thanked IRSSpecialAgent_1Day for this useful post.
Tbshd98 on 7/30/2019(UTC)
slowpoke  
#3189 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2019 4:59:42 AM(UTC)
slowpoke

United States

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 117 post(s)
As the creator of this thread I am proud to say I finally received my FO.
LJB  
#3190 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2019 5:26:59 AM(UTC)
LJB

United States

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Originally Posted by: slowpoke Go to Quoted Post
As the creator of this thread I am proud to say I finally received my FO.

Congratulations!!!!!
caligirl1  
#3191 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2019 5:30:44 AM(UTC)
caligirl1

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Congratulations! How long did it take to get the FO after receiving TO?
slowpoke  
#3192 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2019 6:57:56 AM(UTC)
slowpoke

United States

Originally Posted by: caligirl1 Go to Quoted Post
Congratulations! How long did it take to get the FO after receiving TO?

3 weeks give or take
nranger775  
#3193 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2019 11:09:50 AM(UTC)
nranger775

United States

When do we receive the eqip? Isn't it suppose to come after the firm offer?
Not_a_CPA  
#3194 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2019 11:11:25 AM(UTC)
Not_a_CPA

United States

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nranger775 Go to Quoted Post
When do we receive the eqip? Isn't it suppose to come after the firm offer?

I emailed my HR sponsor asking about that. I got my FO yesterday, but no EQIP email yet.
101Airborne  
#3195 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2019 2:37:36 PM(UTC)
101Airborne

United States

Interesting...I received my eqip e-mail, but have not received the registration code to log into the system. I haven't received my FO yet either. Has anyone run into issues with getting the registration code?
Woodytech21  
#3196 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2019 8:05:49 AM(UTC)
Woodytech21

United States

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Hello all,

I am posting this question on the behalf of RoboChicken. I think she can not post yet. Below is RoboChicken question:

Here is better detail below.

I recently applied for a federal position in July 2019 and I believe an offer will come in mid to late August 2019.

My background is 100% clean outside of one item listed below. Please provide any input on my chances of pass a Public Trust Background Investigation with no security clearance.

I have had a serious medical issue since birth that leaves me fatigued.

I went to a doctor in Feb 2019 and he prescribed me medical cannabis and I got a card in a legal state.

I smoked a vapor pen on about 4 different occasions, most recently in May 2019 to aid in a more restful sleep.

I stopped using in May 2019 due to no improvement, the cost was also a factor, and my desire to pursue a federal job.

I am willing to sign a letter to not use in the future and have destroyed my medical card.

Again, my background is 100% clean outside of the item listed above. Do I hold any hope of passing the public trust background check with no security clearance. Thank you for your response.
slowpoke  
#3197 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2019 8:19:58 AM(UTC)
slowpoke

United States

Originally Posted by: Woodytech21 Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,

I am posting this question on the behalf of RoboChicken. I think she can not post yet. Below is RoboChicken question:

Here is better detail below.

I recently applied for a federal position in July 2019 and I believe an offer will come in mid to late August 2019.

My background is 100% clean outside of one item listed below. Please provide any input on my chances of pass a Public Trust Background Investigation with no security clearance.

I have had a serious medical issue since birth that leaves me fatigued.

I went to a doctor in Feb 2019 and he prescribed me medical cannabis and I got a card in a legal state.

I smoked a vapor pen on about 4 different occasions, most recently in May 2019 to aid in a more restful sleep.

I stopped using in May 2019 due to no improvement, the cost was also a factor, and my desire to pursue a federal job.

I am willing to sign a letter to not use in the future and have destroyed my medical card.

Again, my background is 100% clean outside of the item listed above. Do I hold any hope of passing the public trust background check with no security clearance. Thank you for your response.

I can't answer your question whether they will give you a clearance but the more honest you are the better the chance you will get it.
Here’s Hoping  
#3198 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2019 7:52:20 AM(UTC)
Here’s Hoping

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
The IRS will not have access to your medical records due to HIPAA laws. Also, if you were medically prescribed it, then I doubt there would be a problem.
Not_a_CPA  
#3199 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2019 7:57:30 AM(UTC)
Not_a_CPA

United States

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Here’s Hoping Go to Quoted Post
The IRS will not have access to your medical records due to HIPAA laws. Also, if you were medically prescribed it, then I doubt there would be a problem.

Isn't part of the EQIP is a medical release?

I also doubt medical marijuana would be a problem, but it may. It's still federally illegal, so I suppose it'll come down to the IRS' position on it.
AA419  
#3200 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2019 10:05:51 AM(UTC)
AA419

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Pathways new hire starting on the 19th. I know for the group that started in June they did orientation at their POD but many of us in the August group will be traveling. I see that some of you have already been traveling for training. Does anyone on here know if it will it be someone from our POD calling about travel arrangements for orientation and how far in advance of traveling does that happen? Do we have a choice on flight times? Also, are we paid for travel days or no? Just curious how the process works especially since we don't report to the POD the first week.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed