Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

162 Pages«<159160161162>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
feds101  
#3201 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2019 10:14:31 AM(UTC)
feds101

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Here’s Hoping Go to Quoted Post
The IRS will not have access to your medical records due to HIPAA laws. Also, if you were medically prescribed it, then I doubt there would be a problem.

One of the first forms you sign is a consensual agreement allowing them to ask your doctor about your fitness. These questions are nonspecific and do not disclose your medical records, but your doctor would have to agree that you are capable of performing your job.
eldod  
#3202 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2019 11:28:12 AM(UTC)
eldod

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have a question:

- Done with Finger print on 05/21/2019

- I received and accepted the FO on 07/12/2019.

- Received and submitted the e-qip on 07/26/2019.

- My start date is 08/19/2019.

How long does it take to get the e-qip security clearance? Do I need to expect something (email, letter) before the start date or the FO is what it is needed?
federalgovtjobseeker  
#3203 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2019 11:45:46 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Originally Posted by: eldod Go to Quoted Post
I have a question:

- Done with Finger print on 05/21/2019

- I received and accepted the FO on 07/12/2019.

- Received and submitted the e-qip on 07/26/2019.

- My start date is 08/19/2019.

How long does it take to get the e-qip security clearance? Do I need to expect something (email, letter) before the start date or the FO is what it is needed?

The background investigation from the EQIP will take a while. Sometimes, you can be at your job for 2 years before it is finished. You will still work while all that is taking place. The FO and reporting instructions is what you need.
thanks 1 user thanked federalgovtjobseeker for this useful post.
eldod on 8/6/2019(UTC)
YoungGunner  
#3204 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2019 9:29:42 PM(UTC)
YoungGunner

United States

Was thanked: 307 time(s) in 106 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Woodytech21 Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,

I am posting this question on the behalf of RoboChicken. I think she can not post yet. Below is RoboChicken question:

Here is better detail below.

I recently applied for a federal position in July 2019 and I believe an offer will come in mid to late August 2019.

My background is 100% clean outside of one item listed below. Please provide any input on my chances of pass a Public Trust Background Investigation with no security clearance.

I have had a serious medical issue since birth that leaves me fatigued.

I went to a doctor in Feb 2019 and he prescribed me medical cannabis and I got a card in a legal state.

I smoked a vapor pen on about 4 different occasions, most recently in May 2019 to aid in a more restful sleep.

I stopped using in May 2019 due to no improvement, the cost was also a factor, and my desire to pursue a federal job.

I am willing to sign a letter to not use in the future and have destroyed my medical card.

Again, my background is 100% clean outside of the item listed above. Do I hold any hope of passing the public trust background check with no security clearance. Thank you for your response.

Medical marijuana is explicitly not allowed at the IRS and for all federal service positions. Since 2015, when the official OPM guidance came out, we have been on notice that it can cause you to lose your job.

Use before federal service, as part of a medically prescribed plan, may or may not affect your ability to be found suitable for employment by the IRS after your background investigation. However, you will be required to attest to the fact that you no longer intend to use marijuana after you are employed. You should have this in writing and signed, ready for the investigator, as it will become part of the package sent to the suitability adjudicator.

For the record, I'm not stating my agreement or disagreement with that policy, simply stating the facts. You won't be drug tested at the IRS, but the official federal policy is 100% drug-free from marijuana. If you have more questions, you can send me a private message and I will try to answer your questions.
YoungGunner  
#3205 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2019 9:38:47 PM(UTC)
YoungGunner

United States

Originally Posted by: AA419 Go to Quoted Post
Pathways new hire starting on the 19th. I know for the group that started in June they did orientation at their POD but many of us in the August group will be traveling. I see that some of you have already been traveling for training. Does anyone on here know if it will it be someone from our POD calling about travel arrangements for orientation and how far in advance of traveling does that happen? Do we have a choice on flight times? Also, are we paid for travel days or no? Just curious how the process works especially since we don't report to the POD the first week.

You will get an email for the orientation reporting instructions. Not sure when that will happen. Your flight, if applicable, will likely be booked for you and if not, they will give you contact information on how to call and get it reserved. If you have to call to book, you will likely get some choice in times, but they will be limited.

Travel days are compensated. Orientation is three days, usually if there is travel required by plane, you will fly in on Monday and fly home Friday. However, you may need to fly on Sunday if orientations are on mon-wed. I don't know the schedule for the upcoming one, sorry. If you have to travel Sunday, you will get a form of comp time (time-off) that you will be able to use later.
thanks 2 users thanked YoungGunner for this useful post.
zbear on 8/8/2019(UTC), AA419 on 8/8/2019(UTC)
456dgfdfg  
#3206 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2019 4:23:33 AM(UTC)
456dgfdfg

anyone know how much local traveling will be done in the first couple months?

i'm just wondering if i should get a car or not. it'd be infinitely easier if i didn't have to for at least a few weeks. work is like 1mile away, so if we're literally not leaving the office at all, seems fine?

orientation at pod btw
YoungGunner  
#3207 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2019 8:58:02 AM(UTC)
YoungGunner

United States

Originally Posted by: 456dgfdfg Go to Quoted Post

i'm just wondering if i should get a car or not. it'd be infinitely easier if i didn't have to for at least a few weeks. work is like 1mile away, so if we're literally not leaving the office at all, seems fine?

orientation at pod btw

You won't have any local travel until you return from the second classroom training. That would put about you 6 months away from your start date before you need a car.

Also, a lot of the PODs have GOV vehicles that you can sign out and use for field visits if you wish. You can also take public transport.
456dgfdfg  
#3208 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2019 1:28:49 PM(UTC)
456dgfdfg

Originally Posted by: YoungGunner Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: 456dgfdfg Go to Quoted Post

orientation at pod btw

You won't have any local travel until you return from the second classroom training. That would put about you 6 months away from your start date before you need a car.

Also, a lot of the PODs have GOV vehicles that you can sign out and use for field visits if you wish. You can also take public transport.

great! thank you very much.
dantheman  
#3209 Posted : Friday, August 9, 2019 1:01:27 PM(UTC)
dantheman

United States

I was selected a few months back, but declined the position. What are the odds I can "undo" that decision now?
guruebby  
#3210 Posted : Friday, August 9, 2019 1:04:18 PM(UTC)
guruebby

United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dantheman Go to Quoted Post
I was selected a few months back, but declined the position. What are the odds I can "undo" that decision now?

Not very high. They've likely filled the position in your selected POD with another candidate. You could always reapply and get your name back in the mix though.
dantheman  
#3211 Posted : Friday, August 9, 2019 4:00:32 PM(UTC)
dantheman

United States

Originally Posted by: guruebby Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: dantheman Go to Quoted Post

Not very high. They've likely filled the position in your selected POD with another candidate. You could always reapply and get your name back in the mix though.

Well then, lesson learned I suppose. I don't think I can submit another application, as it says I have already been selected on the only job posting I am eligible for.
Forensicpa  
#3212 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 3:43:49 AM(UTC)
Forensicpa

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Does anyone know if revenue agents get cell phones? I understand we get laptops but how is communication conducted if we need to speak to the tax payer and we aren’t in the office?
cooljul  
#3213 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 3:50:47 AM(UTC)
cooljul

Was thanked: 102 time(s) in 64 post(s)
You can get phone calls on your computer. I think you can also request a cell phone but I’m not sure how that works.
thanks 1 user thanked cooljul for this useful post.
Stevendiaz23 on 8/17/2019(UTC)
jusbnme20  
#3214 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 4:13:30 AM(UTC)
jusbnme20

United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cooljul Go to Quoted Post
You can get phone calls on your computer. I think you can also request a cell phone but I’m not sure how that works.

Yes, you’re correct. Do they still have efax? I know when I left they were talking about getting portable scanners for agents as well.
cooljul  
#3215 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:32:17 AM(UTC)
cooljul

Yes to efax and portable scanners are few and far between, not sure what strings you have to pull to get one lol. They ordered us portable printers so hopefully they send a scanner & printer instead
Agent007  
#3216 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:09:03 PM(UTC)
Agent007

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I hope all is well for those that started in June. Good luck to those that have been interviewed and hoping for offers. I wish you all the best.

When I was hired (10+ years ago), during orientation week, you were provided your laptop (at the time, an HP) and roller bag. In the following weeks, you’re provided a docking station, monitor, desk phone, portable printer, keyboard/ mouse, and any supplies you need.

As cooljul advised, scanners were rarely issued. I’m not sure sure what equipment is issued now, but I would imagine it would be similar. EFax numbers were eventually issued to RAs; everyone had their own number.

We did not receive any cell phones. We were issued calling cards upon request so we can make phone calls and it would mask your phone number. That slowly phased out until we were able to start making/receiving phone calls through our laptops. We were issued wireless internet via USB (AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon depending on the area/ coverage you need).

For everyone that will travel for orientation or for any trainings, enjoy this part. You will be meeting other RAs from other PODs. Many of these RAs will become friends for life.
---------------------------------------
thanks 2 users thanked Agent007 for this useful post.
Forensicpa on 8/15/2019(UTC), tofu soup on 8/17/2019(UTC)
tofu soup  
#3217 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 7:28:48 AM(UTC)
tofu soup

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
How is the job so far for those who started in June? Are you guys done with orientation stuff? I will be starting next week for orientation for pathways and im so curious about the job itself
cooljul  
#3218 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 8:41:15 AM(UTC)
cooljul

It’s great! It’s been a slow start to be honest with all the orientation stuff and online learning they are having us do. Then 4 weeks of tax law training (RA classroom 1) and now we are finally back from that and are getting into the meat of it. Actually planning for our own cases, sending appointment letters, using the systems. Pressure is on to get all our cases done before classroom 2 but it’s exciting. You will hear “this is the best job ever” soooo many times. And it really is great. I’m happy to never do another journal entry again. Nervous to meet with taxpayers soon but we are really supported here. You’re going to love it. Enjoy orientation and classroom and make friends! We had some great times and I can’t wait to see them again next week at CPE training (while you’re in orientation). Your POD is going to be happy to see you, they haven’t hired in yearsssss and your POD may not have even hired in the last wave (2016). Enjoy it!!
thanks 2 users thanked cooljul for this useful post.
feds101 on 8/17/2019(UTC), Stevendiaz23 on 8/17/2019(UTC)
worker  
#3219 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 5:01:09 PM(UTC)
worker

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
@cooljul

Thanks for the update. I am very happy for you. It is great that folks will love their job after the long, long, and stressful wait.
Stevendiaz23  
#3220 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 9:09:11 PM(UTC)
Stevendiaz23

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cooljul Go to Quoted Post
It’s great! It’s been a slow start to be honest with all the orientation stuff and online learning they are having us do. Then 4 weeks of tax law training (RA classroom 1) and now we are finally back from that and are getting into the meat of it. Actually planning for our own cases, sending appointment letters, using the systems. Pressure is on to get all our cases done before classroom 2 but it’s exciting. You will hear “this is the best job ever” soooo many times. And it really is great. I’m happy to never do another journal entry again. Nervous to meet with taxpayers soon but we are really supported here. You’re going to love it. Enjoy orientation and classroom and make friends! We had some great times and I can’t wait to see them again next week at CPE training (while you’re in orientation). Your POD is going to be happy to see you, they haven’t hired in yearsssss and your POD may not have even hired in the last wave (2016). Enjoy it!!

Do you know what type of laptop they give name of the model or size?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed