Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Medicare and Health Care

*This is a non-medical board. This site shall not be used to seek professional, medical or legal consultation.

Medicare is health insurance for people age 65 or older, under age 65 with certain disabilities, and any age person with End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD). There are many different parts to Medicare; with all of these options, it can be confusing.

This forum will allow members to share their experience with medicare and seek advice* on certain medicare-related situations.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MATMAN14  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2019 3:56:08 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Does anyone have experience with putting FEH on suspension and taking TFL using it with Medicare? Thanks for any info.
someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2019 1:34:38 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 900 time(s) in 753 post(s)
This has come up in the Federal Employees Benefits Q&A forum, at least the part about suspending FEHB to use Tricare; not sure about the Tricare for Life part.

One key point seems to be that if you are considering applying for FEHB retiree coverage, you have to be actively enrolled for the last five years and I don't know if 'suspending' covers that.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
MATMAN14  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 3:40:20 PM(UTC)

Thanks. I am retired fed with over 5 years with fehb. Have never seen anyone in this Medicare forum speak about their experiences if they did suspend their fehb and go onto Tricare for Life as a retired Reservist.
someoldguy  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 4:45:04 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: MATMAN14 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks. I am retired fed with over 5 years with fehb.
So you are already on FEHB retiree medical?

Did you ever use Tricare as secondary coverage with FEHB? I'm not receiving Tricare yet but the day is coming soon...

thanks

MATMAN14  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2019 10:40:02 AM(UTC)

No, never used tricare with fehb. Frankly, didnt know i could. I am within 3 years of Medicare and wanted to get info on whether it would be worth it, to suspend fehb and activate tricare for retired reservists which i thought was called tricare for life. Never hav seen anyone speak f pros or cons on using the two together. Thank you for your comment!
someoldguy  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2019 3:31:21 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

As far as I know, "Tricare for Life" is sort of a Medicare supplement. You have to buy Medicare Part B to use TFL. That is about the extent of my knowledge except for the one added fact that if you are still working and earning significant income, the Part B premiums can be rather pricey.
captainsurf  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 10:36:30 AM(UTC)

Older article on FEHB vs. Medicare Part B + Tricare for Life Here:

https://www.fedsmith.com...oosing-between-fehb-tfl/

Article commenters provide their experiences.

If your income is such that the Medicare Part B Premiums are less than FEHB, it seems like Medicare Part B + TCL is the way to go. No Co-Pays for doctor visits or prescriptions. Let's hope legislation doesn't change the hard-earned TCL benefit.

I would like to see more articles and people's experience on this topic!
MATMAN14  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2019 5:46:15 AM(UTC)

Thanks so much for links. My only “real life” experience with this whole thing is second hand. Friend whose father was retired mlitary and CSRS who suspended FEHB and picked up TFL. Swore by it. Recently passed after using this combo for 25 years age 85. Agree that keeping FEHB on suspension is critical due to possible changes to Tricare. I retired to NC and do not work due to Bailey Rule, State tax consequences, etc.
icanzz  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2019 8:56:27 AM(UTC)
icanzz

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Anyone have experience with NO FEHB, But,

Tricare and Medicare?

I am currently TricarePrime. ( I am also fully covered under VA medical-but would be dead already due waiting if I had to use VA solely)

I am SSDI so in about a year (after 2 years of SSDI) I will be allowed or required to take medicare A, and part B. and switched to Tricare For Life. I currently pay $49.50 a month from my military retirement for Tricare prime for me and my wife.

When/if switched to Medicare after 2 years of SSDI my tricare for life will be $0, but I will be charged current rates income based...about $135 a month for Medicare?

What about my wife? she is only covered by my Tricare prime.
someoldguy  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2019 12:31:09 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: icanzz Go to Quoted Post
When/if switched to Medicare after 2 years of SSDI my tricare for life will be $0, but I will be charged current rates income based...about $135 a month for Medicare?
Just to be clear, you mean $135 a month for Medicare Part B correct?

I think your wife would stay on regular Tricare. What I'm not sure of is what the rate would be. Tricare has a "self" rate and a "family" rate. No "self+1" and I don't know if your wife would have to pay at the "self" rate.

I will be in the opposite situation as my wife is a little bit older, she will go on Medicare (with Part B) and TFL before I do. In my situation, I'm the sponsor so clearly I would get the "self" rate.

I guess we should be glad that we have lived long enough to have to worry about such things :)

Rss Feed  Atom Feed