Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Employees: You be the Judge

Get real-life reviews of key court cases involving federal employees. Share your opinion on the outcomes of these cases, or participate in other discussions about workplace issues that may impact your job.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup and should be reported immediately.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HbS  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2019 5:09:44 PM(UTC)
HbS

Groups: Registered
United States

What happens if I don't get an annual appraisal? I've been told that I will not continue working. HR assures me that my supervisor "must" sign an annual appraisal, but they said the same thing about the Plan and the Midterm. I had to hound my supervisor to get my Plan (which i wrote) approved 4-6 months after it was due. I haven't received a progress review and now my annual is due in a few weeks, two and a half of which my supervisor will be on leave across the country. Am I still going to be able to pay the mortgage in April?
DaVinci95  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2019 5:23:37 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Who told you that you won't continue working? A lack of appraisal isn't termination. Depending on your agency rules, it may prevent you from getting a bonus but it doesn't mean you're out of a job. If you have to write a self-assessment, do so and submit it to your supervisor. If he misses the deadline, HR should start nagging him.
HbS  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2019 5:57:04 AM(UTC)
HbS

United States

My previous supervisor before I transferred here. I was told I have to be renewed annually because I'm a term, and that can't happen without an appraisal. HR told me and maybe my boss differently back in July when I was trying to get my Performance Plan/Midterm done.
GWPDA  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2019 6:33:27 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 490 time(s) in 409 post(s)
I'm going to assume that everyone in your group is merely clueless about term employment - it sounds as tho your previous supervisor thought you were a temporary appointment rather than a term. Yes, as a term employee, you need to be re-appointed annually up to four years, and yes, as part of that re-appointment you should have proper assessment and evaluation. But what MUST be done is the re-appointment, which paperwork generally begins at least a month beforehand and which is started by your management. If you have to bug your manager to start that paperwork going, then direct your energy there. However - if it doesn't get completed 'in time' you are not terminated. It's just late.
HbS  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2019 6:51:13 AM(UTC)
HbS

United States

Ok. Thank you. So I do need to be renewed annually? I bugged my boss about this during my plan and progress review struggles. He finally went to HR one day and came back and said I was good for three years. Does HR do this for my supervisor or does he have to complete this?

Edited by user Tuesday, March 5, 2019 10:31:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DroneBee  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 10, 2019 2:23:41 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 98 post(s)
"Term and temporary employees are used to supplement the permanent civil service workforce. Temporary limited appointments are made for an initial period not to exceed (NTE) 1 year, and may be extended for one additional year for a total of 24 months. Term appointments are made for a specified period exceeding 1 year and lasting no more than 4 years." https://www.gsa.gov/dire...d-appointments-93161-cpo

Look at your SF-50 and see what code is listed and check this against the codes in the tables here: https://www.opm.gov/poli...onnel-actions/gppa10.pdf - then you can know what type of Nonstatus Appointment you have. Good luck and God Bless.
GWPDA  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 10, 2019 9:20:53 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 490 time(s) in 409 post(s)
You are apparently on a Term appointment, "not to exceed" some length of time in excess of one year. This differs from a Temporary appointment which does NOT exceed one year's time. Your annual re-appointment is a formality, but a formality which has to be done. Your annual review or appraisal is different from your appointment renewal, but is still part of the ordinary process of employment. Your annual review testifies as to how well you're doing your job, and how well you're satisfying probation - yes, Terms have to go thru probation. The reason that your appointment has to be renewed each of the years is because term appointments CAN be terminated if the re-appointment is not made. Re-appointment MUST be done. Reviews OUGHT to be done.

It's just a form. Your manager should have notified HR.
HbS  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 7:51:46 PM(UTC)
HbS

United States

I want to thank everyone who has provided answers and advice. I thought I'd offer a follow-up to assist anyone exploring these forums and ask a few follow-up questions. First, a quick recap...took a lateral, term position to be closer to wife's family. Day one, received a fancy title and job duties well beyond the PD and job announcement. The shop is generally filled with people removed from their units/position and put on a staff position. Management is part-time active duty. They refuse to acknowledge or communicate that I am responsible for 70+% of shop leads job and that my PD is that of one of the three individuals who works for me. I am non-supervisory, so my reports basically tell me to F off, passive aggressively, despite that I am responsible for directing them and approving all their work. Management either doesn't care or is clueless. Although they keep putting me in for awards and gave me full marks on my appraisal. I went to HR a few months into the job, and they encouraged me to work with my supervision or file an admin grievance. I didn't want to stir up that kind of trouble, so I began communicating my frustration with my supervisor. After a few months of non-action and non-answers I gave up. Fast forward to now. My reports have gone wild. They turn is complete garbage for work, don't show up to meetings or training that I direct them to. They miss deadlines, by months [not an exaggeration]. I went to my supervisor and finally complained. He said he would correct this immediately, and pulled all my section personnel and superintendent into his office, one at a time. This was about a month ago. Just a few days after, I am immediately starting to get the same behavior. I immediately went to HR, who basically tried to give a spiel about "doing my duty," and that I "have to read the fine print in my PD" about "other duties as assigned." I immediately filed an admin grievance. Supposedly, they did meet with my supervision and then informed me that they were going to update my PD; however, despite two emails, HR is obfuscating and ignoring the questions in my correspondence. So...

Question #1: Am I getting played by my supervision and HR? It really seems like everyone is stalling and waiting for me to quit or for my supervisor to change for the third time in less than a year and a half.
Question #2: Does HR have to give me any information about my grievance? I asked to have several things clarified in my complaint.
Question #3: HR did have me do a lot of work describing how my current PD is not accurate, and what other PD duties (brought up in my grievance) was I servicing and what percentages. Is this a good thing or fairly standard?
Question #4: Is my PD going to be based off what I am currently doing or something else discussed with management? I asked HR, they won't answer me. I asked officially in my grievance to have my job duties downgraded to match my current PD, they will not entertain this.
Question #5: How long does it take to get a PD updated? I asked HR, they won't answer.
Question #6: If my PD is downgraded, will I at least get stepped out to help cover salary difference?

Any help, advice or conversation is greatly appreciated. As a civilian GS in the DoD, working with almost exclusively military, this forum has been amazing. Thanks to all.

DroneBee  
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2019 8:40:19 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: HbS Go to Quoted Post
took a lateral, term position to be closer to wife's family.
Issue already - term position.
Management is part-time active duty. They refuse to acknowledge or communicate that I am responsible for 70+% of shop leads job and that my PD is that of one of the three individuals who works for me.,,. Management either doesn't care or is clueless.
Yes, management doesn't care about you or the work.
I immediately filed an admin grievance.
Big mistake - you are now the enemy. No matter what HR states to you, HR will circle the wagons and protect management.
Question #1: Am I getting played by my supervision and HR?
Yes.
Question #2: Does HR have to give me any information about my grievance?
"have to" - no. There are rules, but the agency doesn't follow the rules for itself, only for the complainant.
Question #3: HR did have me do a lot of work describing how my current PD is not accurate, and what other PD duties (brought up in my grievance) was I servicing and what percentages. Is this a good thing or fairly standard?
Yes - HR will provide information to you. It won't matter; you are in trouble.
Question #4: Is my PD going to be based off what I am currently doing or something else discussed with management?
It doesn't matter - they may change the PD so that you are no longer qualified for the job. Don't underestimate the evilness of the agency.
Question #5: How long does it take to get a PD updated?
It doesn't matter; the agency is now figuring out how to get rid of you.
Question #6: If my PD is downgraded, will I at least get stepped out to help cover salary difference?
Probably not; the agency may just get rid of your term position and then announce the position - and not hire you.

The *BEST* advice I can give you is to take your good appraisal and get another job - anything. God Bless.

HbS  
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2019 9:36:22 AM(UTC)
HbS

United States

Thank you for your response. Out of curiosity, what do you think the grounds for termination will be? It seems like a huge red flag to terminate someone following a grievance. Especially given the year of documented correspondence, multiple awards, etc. Sounds like reprisal to me, but I've seen worse so I don't doubt your words.
DroneBee  
#11 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 6:57:02 AM(UTC)

Thank you for your response. Out of curiosity, what do you think the grounds for termination will be? It seems like a huge red flag to terminate someone following a grievance. Especially given the year of documented correspondence, multiple awards, etc. Sounds like reprisal to me, but I've seen worse so I don't doubt your words.

The agency will make up what it needs in order to protect itself. My advice - get another job now while you still have a job. God Bless.
FrankJr  
#12 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2019 5:13:09 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 106 post(s)
What happens if I don't get an annual appraisal? I've been told that I will not continue working. HR assures me that my supervisor "must" sign an annual appraisal, but they said the same thing about the Plan and the Midterm. I had to hound my supervisor to get my Plan (which i wrote) approved 4-6 months after it was due. I haven't received a progress review and now my annual is due in a few weeks, two and a half of which my supervisor will be on leave across the country. Am I still going to be able to pay the mortgage in April?

Late to the game, but the role of human resources is to protect the organization and management. The feds requires a signed review completed within the past 18 month for internal candidates so the review may or may not be an issue. In the current organization the reviews are never completed on time and the reviews are worthless. The content is copy / paste with zero content of value. Unless you are willing to pay a lawyer $$$ the options are few and far between. But as noted, the position is a term position and the end is near one way or another. The organization does not need to terminate the employee the organization need only wait for the term to end.
thanks 1 user thanked FrankJr for this useful post.
DroneBee on 8/16/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed