Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
foote500  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 5:25:35 PM(UTC)
foote500

Groups: Registered
United States

I am about to get a an offer for a new job from HR tomorrow. It is for an 11, starting salary 69,000. I am currently an 8-step 10 making 71,000. My highest grade was a 10-step 7 at 70,000.

The question is...I know I can bargain over pay, what is reasonable for me to counter with, what will they offer me? 1 step above my current salary? Or what a 10-step 7 would make when promoted to an 11? What step at 11 would I go to naturally from a 10-step 7?

Oh, and just to complicate matters even more, I am on a special pay table for law enforcement officers (983D) Washington DC area and the new job would be at a non special pay table Washington DC area.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by user Monday, August 12, 2019 5:34:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FS0201  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 6:02:55 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 278 time(s) in 242 post(s)
Originally Posted by: foote500 Go to Quoted Post
I am about to get a an offer for a new job from HR tomorrow. It is for an 11, starting salary 69,000. I am currently an 8-step 10 making 71,000. My highest grade was a 10-step 7 at 70,000.

The question is...I know I can bargain over pay, what is reasonable for me to counter with, what will they offer me? 1 step above my current salary? Or what a 10-step 7 would make when promoted to an 11? What step at 11 would I go to naturally from a 10-step 7?

Oh, and just to complicate matters even more, I am on a special pay table for law enforcement officers (983D) Washington DC area and the new job would be at a non special pay table Washington DC area.

Thanks for any help.

See here for rules on pay setting: https://www.opm.gov/poli.../fact-sheets/promotions/
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
djp  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 6:20:57 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 133 post(s)
I was once in a special pay series. When I changed jobs thry messed up my pay thinking I was on regular pay. So I went from a 9-1 to 11-1. But my pay on regular scale was at a high 9 level which put me at 11-6.

The problem in your situation if I followed you correctly..you were qualified because previously you were a gs 10 but now not at a lower gs. I think that wipes out any pay adjustment you could have gotten coming from a 10-7.
HR Bubba  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 3:44:39 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 193 post(s)
Regarding "I know I can bargain over pay", no, if you are a current federal employee you cannot negotiate pay. If you were selected from an internal announcement then they can set your pay using the 2 step rule or they can use Highest Previous Rate (HPR), it is their discretion on whether or not to authorize HPR. If you were selected from an external announcement they can set your pay at step 1 of the new grade or use HPR. If they process the new appointment as a conversion (same agency to same agency) they can also use the 2 step rule.

In either case, using HPR will result in the highest starting pay for you. When discussing pay with the HR person you should ask if they will authorize HPR to set your pay.
foote500  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 9:54:48 AM(UTC)
foote500

United States

So, I just got the call and the offer. It was the best scenario. They used my 10 step 7 as the starting point and said I will go to an 11 step 6.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed