Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AnotherGuy  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 5:01:28 AM(UTC)
AnotherGuy

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
There is a mechanism an agency can set up so when an offer is being made to an applicant. The applicant is automatically put on "hold" for other positions within the same agency.

If the applicant accepts the job offer and later decides to decline it, the applicant will not be eligible for other positions that were being put on "hold." The applicant needs to re-apply the next application cycle.

It is not required by law to inform the applicant about this practice.

Your thought?
GWPDA  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 8:57:17 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 490 time(s) in 409 post(s)
What agency? GS or Excepted Service? Under what authority?
djp  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 12:35:19 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 129 time(s) in 126 post(s)
You must seoerste a tentative offer thst Ned’s a background check vs an actual firm offer. Tentative Offers mean nothing.
AnotherGuy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 12:53:19 PM(UTC)
AnotherGuy

United States

Originally Posted by: djp Go to Quoted Post
You must seoerste a tentative offer thst Ned’s a background check vs an actual firm offer. Tentative Offers mean nothing.

I did not ask for details, I overheard it during lunchtime from hiring managers. They had to do it because they had lost a couple of candidates right before their start date; they declined an accepted final offer for another position within the same agency. Unfortunately, I know people like that. A friend just did three in-person interviews last week, knowing that he plans to decline them all, because he just needed some interview "practices" for his top choice at another agency. It is a huge waste of people's time and taxpayers' money.
djp  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 2:54:09 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 129 time(s) in 126 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AnotherGuy Go to Quoted Post

I did not ask for details, I overheard it during lunchtime from hiring managers. They had to do it because they had lost a couple of candidates right before their start date; they declined an accepted final offer for another position within the same agency. Unfortunately, I know people like that. A friend just did three in-person interviews last week, knowing that he plans to decline them all, because he just needed some interview "practices" for his top choice at another agency. It is a huge waste of people's time and taxpayers' money.

If they are holding them if offered only a tentative offer puts agencies at risk of a massive class action lawsuit. It’s an illegal act.

HR could do more coordination of similar jobs and similar applicants and tell thrm thry have 3 official job offers and then they decide.

I have been selected for jobs on OPM but never was contacted.

AnotherGuy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 3:19:21 PM(UTC)
AnotherGuy

United States

Originally Posted by: AnotherGuy Go to Quoted Post

If they are holding them if offered only a tentative offer puts agencies at risk of a massive class action lawsuit. It’s an illegal act.

HR could do more coordination of similar jobs and similar applicants and tell thrm thry have 3 official job offers and then they decide.

I have been selected for jobs on OPM but never was contacted.

Yes, I do think that it is a bit sketchy if it was only a tentative offer. My current job application never got updated beyond the "referred" stage.
GWPDA  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 9:27:03 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 490 time(s) in 409 post(s)
Gossip is so seldom useful.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed