Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tormund  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 9:13:53 AM(UTC)
Tormund

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
There's been a few posts here about attorneys, but not much meat. Some of the popular ones I've seen are:

Flook & Graham
Harris Federal Law Firm
Pines Federal
Robert McGill
Robert Shapiro

I'm looking for feedback about:

-Responsiveness
-Competence
-What is the estimated cost and details -- e.g., if price based on income versus flat fee for everyone, payment plan, and discount if paid up front
-If they charge more if appeal required
-If they refund if not approved
-Do they offer service to complete SSDI paperwork
-Offer services in the future for periodic medical review

I plan to call this week, but would appreciate any experiences before I do. Thank you!

Edited by user Monday, July 29, 2019 9:40:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sofedup  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 10:46:22 AM(UTC)
Sofedup

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I asked same questions. No answers. It appears that the people that post are only posting, and requesting info, but not their experiences or results. I would much rather hear about the denials, than the success’s, because quite honestly if you are hiring these specific attorneys, and spending a ton of money, you go into it expecting a positive outcome. I hired Harris after researching at great length all four of these above firms. I have nothing to offer from my case as I just got my CSA # a few months ago. If their well touted and advertised 93% success rate on the first go round, and 99% success rate on first appeals for the claims they accept is not true I will be sure to report because according to them I have a very well documented open and shut winnable case. The money back guarantee is nice, BUT claimants don’t want their money back and a denial. That is meaningless because it is of no value in the long run. Harris has been extremely professionally in every aspect of the claims handling to date. So far no complaints. I am hopeful that there are no people posting their denials here with this firm, because as stated above, they live up to their advertised success rate. Time will tell.
Tormund  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 12:07:06 PM(UTC)
Tormund

United States

Originally Posted by: Sofedup Go to Quoted Post
I hired Harris after researching at great length all four of these above firms. I have nothing to offer from my case as I just got my CSA # a few months ago.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll probably go with Robert McGill or Harris. What specifically motivated you to choose Harris? You have to do you own SSDI submission with them right?
Sofedup  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 2:36:30 PM(UTC)
Sofedup

United States

It’s easy to do the SSDI app online. It’s fillable forms. You can save info, and log back to finish as you go. It’s all info regurgitated from your DR application, statement, and medical info and reports etc. I didn’t care too much about it. It was just a requirement for filing DR. I didn’t even consider Shapiro as the BBB complaints, and the reviews are horrendous. Not much info from Pines. McGill’s posts on a lot of issues struck me as a little odd, and although extremely knowledgeable with info, something just felt weird in some way. Im sure he’s good as people say he’s outstanding. Just my gut making my choice. These were the only four I researched. Time will tell if I decided well. No looking back now.
GSBS  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 5:07:31 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 301 time(s) in 262 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sofedup Go to Quoted Post
It’s easy to do the SSDI app online. It’s fillable forms. You can save info, and log back to finish as you go. It’s all info regurgitated from your DR application, statement, and medical info and reports etc. I didn’t care too much about it. It was just a requirement for filing DR. I didn’t even consider Shapiro as the BBB complaints, and the reviews are horrendous. Not much info from Pines. McGill’s posts on a lot of issues struck me as a little odd, and although extremely knowledgeable with info, something just felt weird in some way. Im sure he’s good as people say he’s outstanding. Just my gut making my choice. These were the only four I researched. Time will tell if I decided well. No looking back now.
I had no D.R. Statement when I obtained my proof of filing for SSDI. The two have nothing to do with each other. Your comments on Attorney McGill comments frankly are really odd. His prices might not be the lowest but you get a full-service attorney, great man!

Edited by user Sunday, August 4, 2019 12:01:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sofedup  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 5:43:08 PM(UTC)
Sofedup

United States

GSBS. The great thing about people’s opinions is that they are unique, original, and solely in the eyes of the beholder. Much like artwork, what we perceive is different from others. Although Mr McGill may be a very capable lawyer in this field, my opinion is that in my research, his posts contained an abundance of knowledge, but it focused a lot on rhetoric, and wisdom based long winded script, rather than a clear and concise explanation to most questions. Sometimes less is more. So now knowing that the original poster wanted info and our OPINIONS as to why we chose who we did to represent us, I would like to ask you who you chose, ( or if you retained an attorney ), to represent you when filing, and what were your reasons for choosing who you did.
GSBS  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 6:23:43 PM(UTC)
GSBS

He writes in that style on purpose, I love it! And no he's not going to give away the store by disclosing certain trade secrets that have made him one of if not the best attorneys in this line of work. I used him and he couldn't have been better. No promises are given, money is not returned if not successful, he has no special contacts at OPM & your case will be processed the same as any other case. Complicated cases/ additional work available for an extra charge
thanks 1 user thanked GSBS for this useful post.
ValkyrieDown on 8/20/2019(UTC)
gembarok  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2019 4:03:13 AM(UTC)
gembarok

Man
United States

Was thanked: 161 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Greetings,

I retained no lawyer. When I tried to get one for my VA Appeal locally, all the shysters turned me down. I ended up winning on my own so they all lost on a large payout. But if we are being honest, that McGill does write some crazy ass ramblings when you do a search thru his stuff online. Most I am sure just to get hits on search engines. There is some helpful info in between the lines and I have been able to pull a pearl out of there from time to time. Now I do get it. You run a business and don't want to put your techniques out there. I don't hate them for it.

I have found this forum, even with its awful search engine to be more valuable then any of the lawyers websites. OPM, VA, and SSA have all the tools you need to prepare a claim and be successful. They post their rules on line. Everything the lawyers have access to... but it is very time consuming to sort through.

S/
K
Frogger  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2019 2:32:36 PM(UTC)
Frogger

United States

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 114 post(s)
McGill does have a rambling writing style no doubt, however he was a great attorney. The volume of people he has been successful for is staggering. Having to go to the MSPB would have been hard without him.
thanks 1 user thanked Frogger for this useful post.
ValkyrieDown on 8/23/2019(UTC)
djplourd  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2019 5:05:23 AM(UTC)
djplourd

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My wife just signed with Harris Federal. We had also looked at Federal Workers Compensation Consultants they would cost less but ultimately they wouldn't.

We were looking for help with OWCP, Schedule Awards, DR, and SS Disability. We figured we could handle SS ourselves since it would a lot of the same information used for DR

Background info:
My wife wa***** by a car in December 2016 while she was doing her authorized 1 hour / 3 days physical fitness training. She was crossing the street in a crosswalk when she wa*****. She's since had two neck surgeries, one shoulder surgery and she now has an electronic simulator implanted near her cervical spine. Dealing with OWCP has been a royal pain. For the first yer plus they were constantly questioning many of her doctor appointments. Most recently they denied payments for four months following her shoulder surgery, claiming that it wasn't approved - even though they had all the notes from the neurosurgeon sending her to the ortho doctor for her shoulder, and they covered the co-pays for it and co-pays for the PT after the surgery. Now since my wife still has shoulder, arm, hand, and finger issues we expect that she could potentially receive several large schedule awards.

The biggest difference in costs is Harris has a flat fee ($5,000) and includes up to the initial MSPB appeal. And they offer 100% refund if we lose.
The Consultants have a low upfront cost ($250) and then $150 monthly until the case is finished. The real kicker with them was they also get 10% of any back pay or schedule award.

wtx carrier  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2019 3:59:12 PM(UTC)
wtx carrier

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I used Harris Federal they have a flat rate and offer 10% discount if you pay all fee up front and they do payments i think.
they offer refund if you don't get approved and they do all paperwork and contact all doctors to get the paperwork done.
i filed in april 2018 and was approved in march 2019...
RasRoe  
#12 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2019 11:26:56 AM(UTC)
RasRoe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hired Mr. McGill, wasn't cheap. Only downside I see so far (still playing the waiting game) is that no medical people have responded to his request. I had to go physically to each of them and get the documents. It has nothing to do with him, it's that the hospitals, clinics and VA etc didn't bother responding to him at all. I have heard nothing but good about him. It wasn't cheap, but I believe it will be worth it in the end.

As far as timelines, that's my issue. Memory issues, I wouldn't know without having someone hold my hand to find the dates. I dragged my feet, no motivation...along with the medial people not responding. My application is in the process of finally being finalized for submission.
GSBS  
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2019 1:04:45 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Originally Posted by: RasRoe Go to Quoted Post
Hired Mr. McGill, wasn't cheap. Only downside I see so far (still playing the waiting game) is that no medical people have responded to his request. I had to go physically to each of them and get the documents. It has nothing to do with him, it's that the hospitals, clinics and VA etc didn't bother responding to him at all.
That could be a really bad sign your providers will not be very supportive? Attorney McGill will contact your doctor, usually by letter but has no control over what they submit. I know my Ph.D. spoke to him a few times and thought he was fascinating!

RasRoe  
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 3:07:10 PM(UTC)
RasRoe

Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RasRoe Go to Quoted Post
Hired Mr. McGill, wasn't cheap. Only downside I see so far (still playing the waiting game) is that no medical people have responded to his request. I had to go physically to each of them and get the documents. It has nothing to do with him, it's that the hospitals, clinics and VA etc didn't bother responding to him at all.
That could be a really bad sign your providers will not be very supportive? Attorney McGill will contact your doctor, usually by letter but has no control over what they submit. I know my Ph.D. spoke to him a few times and thought he was fascinating!

Well, the .mil docs on base immediately said they couldn't "help me" when the lawyer sent a request for records. They said as soon as a lawyer is involved they had to stop back. I then was referred to an off base agency. They "never got" request for my records and neither did the VA. I drove to all 3 places and got complete records and then mailed it to Mr. McGill. It's not that the doctors didn't think I had an issue, I'm dealing with very unhelpful people in an area that is well known for being #1 only in the worst things. I do know my actual doctor would love to talk to Mr. McGill. Unfortunately, they have him overbooked in multiple towns. When I go and see him, he is very nice and has given me any and all documents I've asked for. It's the front desk people that are not very helpful. The issue of that is in every restaurant or store you go into as well. Lazy people. Hopefully things will get better soon. I do know they did submit my package. The HR office people are great to work with. Something about the area I'm in for customer service.
ValkyrieDown  
#15 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 12:38:45 PM(UTC)
ValkyrieDown

United States

I will say that the information here regarding different lawyers is a critical resource for anyone trying to get their DR case approved. After a lot of research, I hired Robert McGill. Was it pricey? Yes. Do I regret it? Nope, never.

I will tell my story later, but wanted to put in my 2 cents about my representation.

In a nutshell, I didn't have enough time to go the conventional route of FMLA to RA to LWOP. I was forced to resign "in lieu of medical retirement". My last 12 months on the job were horrid. We all know how broke the system is. (I got so sick so fast in a workplace full of ignorant, but dangerous upper management.)

The information from Mr. McGill's blog gave me enough ammunition to write a water tight SF-52 that would buy me enough time to get my stuff together to beat that 12 month deadline. I hired him and paid the 5k I barely had for representation I desperately needed.

Getting the doctors to fill out the letter he sends was a headache. Even though he makes it easy for the doctors to get those diagnoses into a letter, most of the providers I approached were really gun shy about anything from attorneys going to court.

My process took longer than most (18 months from receipt to approval letter) with several requests in between for info from OPM that were good for a panic attack or two. As soon as I got any word from Boyers about stuff needed or missing , I forwarded the info to Mr. McGill and heard back (call or email) before the end of the day.

I never once felt like I was just another case file on his desk. Everytime I left a voicemail, he personally called back. No secretary or assistant. That meant the most to me through his process.

I hope this post helps you out a bit. Best of luck to you.

R/
Valkyrie Down
thanks 1 user thanked ValkyrieDown for this useful post.
GSBS on 8/19/2019(UTC)
Frogger  
#16 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 3:10:57 PM(UTC)
Frogger

United States

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 114 post(s)
He was not just responsive, but also encouraging.
thanks 1 user thanked Frogger for this useful post.
GSBS on 8/19/2019(UTC)
icanzz  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:24:15 AM(UTC)
icanzz

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Frogger Go to Quoted Post
He was not just responsive, but also encouraging.

Kind of funny...but when I called him and explained my situation...he ask "So why do think you need a lawyer?" I told him "because people on fed soup have me worried i need to". Never hired him and was approved.
Sofedup  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2019 2:32:44 PM(UTC)
Sofedup

United States

Hired Harris. Approved first go round. CSA number 4/24/19. Approved 10/11/19.
discoredhd  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2019 5:31:25 PM(UTC)
discoredhd

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Approved without appeals!

Blessed that my mentor suggested I hire an attorney instead of go through it myself. It's been so long I forgot how much I paid but it was worth every penny. Somehow I even wrote it off but the tax plan may have changed since then.

Thank God for David Schleicher.

https://thefirmforbiz.co...orneys/david-schleicher/

Sorry for any of you struggling.

I eventually called my congressman (after the application was filed) and they did an inquiry which I am sure didn't hurt.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 23, 2019 5:32:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tormund  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2019 5:37:06 PM(UTC)
Tormund

United States

Originally Posted by: discoredhd Go to Quoted Post
Approved without appeals!

Blessed that my mentor suggested I hire an attorney instead of go through it myself. It's been so long I forgot how much I paid but it was worth every penny. Somehow I even wrote it off but the tax plan may have changed since then.

Thank God for David Schleicher.

https://thefirmforbiz.co...orneys/david-schleicher/

Sorry for any of you struggling.

I eventually called my congressman (after the application was filed) and they did an inquiry which I am sure didn't hurt.

Thanks for chiming in! Any other data points like how long, cost, etc?

Rss Feed  Atom Feed