Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

84 Pages«<81828384>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
federalgovtjobseeker  
#1641 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2019 10:50:03 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Marie93 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Backtrackin Go to Quoted Post
So, I received my TO on 8/12, after emailing about the status of my interview. I did my fingerprints and ID check/photo for credentials on 8/19. The start date listed on my TO is for Tuesday, Sept 3... in 4 days. I have yet to receive a final offer or reporting instructions for Tuesday. I emailed HR several times this week and have only received an "I'll check on it; not sure what's going on" reply. I have been through several background/fingerprint checks so I am confident it is that HR dropped the ball.
Yesterday I sent an email to the HR person that scheduled my interview and the manager with whom I did my interview, giving them a synopsis of my issue. Still no reply. I'm half-tempted to just show up on Tuesday and ask where I'm supposed to go!
I wonder how many times people are considered no-shows, when in fact they just never received a final offer or reporting instructions. It really makes me wish I would have accepted that other job I turned down for this one.

I guess they will be working this weekend? I think it will get straightened out. I would just keep emailing. I know a lot of people say the IRS moves slow, but this is not normal. Stay on top of it. Keep your phone with you. I am sure it will work out. Maybe the start date has been pushed back.

Judging by this forum, they have worked on Saturday this year, but it would be pretty amazing to see them work it on a holiday weekend. The problem with not getting reporting instructions and a final offer is that they will turn you away at the door if they know you don't have that. As far as the slow process goes, I think they are just so short staffed and unfortunately, they have to hire a good number of people so they aren't familiar with this work load. I do know that the Phase 1 training is September 16-27 so the potential employee will need to start on the 3rd of September to be able to do that. I hope it works out!

thanks 1 user thanked federalgovtjobseeker for this useful post.
Backtrackin on 9/2/2019(UTC)
Marie93  
#1642 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2019 11:41:13 AM(UTC)
Marie93

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: federalgovtjobseeker Go to Quoted Post
So, I received my TO on 8/12, after emailing about the status of my interview. I did my fingerprints and ID check/photo for credentials on 8/19. The start date listed on my TO is for Tuesday, Sept 3... in 4 days. I have yet to receive a final offer or reporting instructions for Tuesday. I emailed HR several times this week and have only received an "I'll check on it; not sure what's going on" reply. I have been through several background/fingerprint checks so I am confident it is that HR dropped the ball.
Yesterday I sent an email to the HR person that scheduled my interview and the manager with whom I did my interview, giving them a synopsis of my issue. Still no reply. I'm half-tempted to just show up on Tuesday and ask where I'm supposed to go!
I wonder how many times people are considered no-shows, when in fact they just never received a final offer or reporting instructions. It really makes me wish I would have accepted that other job I turned down for this one.

I guess they will be working this weekend? I think it will get straightened out. I would just keep emailing. I know a lot of people say the IRS moves slow, but this is not normal. Stay on top of it. Keep your phone with you. I am sure it will work out. Maybe the start date has been pushed back.

Judging by this forum, they have worked on Saturday this year, but it would be pretty amazing to see them work it on a holiday weekend. The problem with not getting reporting instructions and a final offer is that they will turn you away at the door if they know you don't have that. As far as the slow process goes, I think they are just so short staffed and unfortunately, they have to hire a good number of people so they aren't familiar with this work load. I do know that the Phase 1 training is September 16-27 so the potential employee will need to start on the 3rd of September to be able to do that. I hope it works out!

Is there a reason they would need to start on the 3rd to go to training that starts on the 16th ?
federalgovtjobseeker  
#1643 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2019 11:55:08 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Is there a reason they would need to start on the 3rd to go to training that starts on the 16th ?

Administrative orientation is different than Phase 1 training and that needs to be completed. Plus there are a few online things that need to be completed before going to phase 1. If they can't start on the 3rd, they can't complete it before the 16th. I don't think the IRS will let you go straight to Phase 1 training. Always can be wrong, but it doesn't seem like it would happen.
thanks 2 users thanked federalgovtjobseeker for this useful post.
Marie93 on 8/31/2019(UTC), Backtrackin on 9/2/2019(UTC)
scottyd27  
#1644 Posted : Sunday, September 1, 2019 2:12:40 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 132 post(s)
They will let them go if they have to.

thanks 1 user thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
federalgovtjobseeker  
#1645 Posted : Sunday, September 1, 2019 3:07:10 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post

If they can find time to take the oath and do the bare minimum they need to start, it is possible I guess. Have you heard of this happening before Scotty?
Backtrackin  
#1646 Posted : Monday, September 2, 2019 5:57:56 AM(UTC)
Backtrackin

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks for all of the responses!
I received the notification that my creds were ready for pick up late Friday afternoon, and soon after got a reply from the manager with whom I interviewed. She told me that my start date has been pushed back and I may not start for several more weeks, even after the first training dates. It appears, to me, there has to be another hiring coming soon.

As far as reporting straight to training, I know it's happened in other positions in the past. I have a friend that was in the mass hiring for RA's about 10 years ago and he reported straight to training. The first 3 days were onboarding. For those transferring within the agency, they started 3 days later. I have no idea how it will work in my case, but I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation.

I will keep you all updated with my situation. Fingers crossed it's soon! Thanks again for your replies. 😊
thanks 1 user thanked Backtrackin for this useful post.
jxin on 9/2/2019(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker  
#1647 Posted : Monday, September 2, 2019 8:29:36 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Thanks for all of the responses!
I received the notification that my creds were ready for pick up late Friday afternoon, and soon after got a reply from the manager with whom I interviewed. She told me that my start date has been pushed back and I may not start for several more weeks, even after the first training dates. It appears, to me, there has to be another hiring coming soon.

As far as reporting straight to training, I know it's happened in other positions in the past. I have a friend that was in the mass hiring for RA's about 10 years ago and he reported straight to training. The first 3 days were onboarding. For those transferring within the agency, they started 3 days later. I have no idea how it will work in my case, but I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation.

I will keep you all updated with my situation. Fingers crossed it's soon! Thanks again for your replies. 😊

If your manager said that, there definitely will be more hiring. That's good to know because the IRS is so under staffed. As far as reporting to training, they used to have you go straight to orientation at another service center, then straight to training. That's not how it's done any more. They cut down the training more at service centers because people didn't want to be away so long from their families. Also, with your situation, I would venture to guess you are correct that you aren't the only one. HR is so understaffed that there are many people not getting response times as quick as they should be. Good luck though and I hope you get concrete details soon about when you start!
thanks 1 user thanked federalgovtjobseeker for this useful post.
LexusFan  
#1648 Posted : Monday, September 2, 2019 9:35:48 AM(UTC)
LexusFan

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
There WILL be more hirings, even people starting at their PODs later, but I am unaware of an actual new wave.

For someone to get thrown right into Unit 1 training would be difficult, but not impossible.

You’d need your Email/Outlook set up, many 5081s, many ELMs briefings, SmartID set up, laptop set up, Concur, and an authorization.
thanks 1 user thanked LexusFan for this useful post.
LexusFan  
#1649 Posted : Monday, September 2, 2019 10:17:17 AM(UTC)
LexusFan

United States

If your credentials are ready for pick up, I’d say you’re in.

There is a rumor that everyone who is starting past the 08/19 date, for whatever reason, will be placed on a “Wave 3” schedule. TMs and GMs have floated this idea to me, but don’t know or think there will actually be a 3rd wave of hirings (that would entail a full process, interviews, etc).

That would suck because the putative wave 3 people would be on a whole new schedule just because they missed two weeks.

OJIs and training totally different track.
thanks 1 user thanked LexusFan for this useful post.
scottyd27  
#1650 Posted : Tuesday, September 3, 2019 3:25:58 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

If they can find time to take the oath and do the bare minimum they need to start, it is possible I guess. Have you heard of this happening before Scotty?

Use to be you went right to unit training and then POD
Backtrackin on 9/4/2019(UTC)
Backtrackin  
#1651 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 8:53:31 AM(UTC)
Backtrackin

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I received my final offer this afternoon! Start date is Sept 30 and I report to my POD. No word on training yet, but I'm glad to have a date!

Good luck to everyone else waiting, and thanks so much for everyone's input. I do appreciate your time.
thanks 1 user thanked Backtrackin for this useful post.
jj62 on 9/4/2019(UTC)
Marie93  
#1652 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 2:42:45 PM(UTC)
Marie93

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 30 post(s)
I received my final offer this afternoon! Start date is Sept 30 and I report to my POD. No word on training yet, but I'm glad to have a date!

Good luck to everyone else waiting, and thanks so much for everyone's input. I do appreciate your time.

Congrats! I am glad the wait is finally over!
thanks 1 user thanked Marie93 for this useful post.
Backtrackin on 9/4/2019(UTC)
Shell1207  
#1653 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2019 1:23:33 PM(UTC)
Shell1207

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm confused I'm an internal employee in Philadelphia Bankruptcy Service Center I applied for the RO position git referred and interviewed but didn't get selected so my status went from referred and backed to reviewed today I received an email stating I was referred to selecting official and will be contacted within 2 weeks. I've wirked for the IRS for 19 years and have never seen this before can anyone make sense of this situation I definitely don't want to get my hopes up high again.
federalgovtjobseeker  
#1654 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2019 6:01:05 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Originally Posted by: Shell1207 Go to Quoted Post
I'm confused I'm an internal employee in Philadelphia Bankruptcy Service Center I applied for the RO position git referred and interviewed but didn't get selected so my status went from referred and backed to reviewed today I received an email stating I was referred to selecting official and will be contacted within 2 weeks. I've wirked for the IRS for 19 years and have never seen this before can anyone make sense of this situation I definitely don't want to get my hopes up high again.

I received an email stating that Wave 3 would be anywhere from September 3rd-September 30th depending on the POD. Then, the next Wave, "Wave 4" would start in November. No exact dates yet, but it looks like you are headed towards the November wave.
thanks 2 users thanked federalgovtjobseeker for this useful post.
Shell1207 on 9/6/2019(UTC), Backtrackin on 9/8/2019(UTC)
RN94509  
#1655 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2019 2:06:39 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Anyone in Fresno for wave 2 unit 1 training?
JJ1  
#1656 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2019 9:33:23 AM(UTC)
JJ1

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hello All,

What happened after you got the call to see if you were still interested?

I applied a while back, when I was a GS-09. I got a call from Memphis to see if I was still interested in the El Paso, TX location, and I said NO because I had just EOD'd with CBP as a GS-12. I recently reapplied and got the Received email today.

Just wondering what the process was after you all said you where still interested?

Thanks
LexusFan  
#1657 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2019 11:00:01 AM(UTC)
LexusFan

United States

In Fresno for not only this Phase, but also all 4 most likely!
scottyd27  
#1658 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 2:04:10 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Have it on good authority there will be an RO hiring next year
Lud on 9/26/2019(UTC)
LexusFan  
#1659 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:47:32 PM(UTC)
LexusFan

United States

Wave 2 folks, Unit 2 is 2 weeks away (2/2/2)!

How are things going so far? Training, learning systems, OJI, coworkers, etc? Any good, bad, or ugly?
caligurl0222  
#1660 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:49:30 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Have it on good authority there will be an RO hiring next year

ScottyD27 will this be a new announcement? Or still from the roster of the big hitting of 700 plus?
I believe in Laws of Attraction and I attract good things!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed