Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Immigration and Customs Enforcement

The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement is the largest investigative agency in the Department of Homeland Security, is responsible for enforcing the nation's immigration and customs laws. ICE has more than 20,000 employees working in 400 offices in the U.S. and around the world..

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
willney  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2015 7:00:17 AM(UTC)
willney

Groups: Registered
United States

Has anyone who applied for this position been contacted for an interview? I received my NOR score of 104 on September 1st (10 pt preference veteran). Just wanted to know if anyone had heard anything yet. Thanks!
zizzer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 6:00:44 AM(UTC)
zizzer

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I am sorry for bringing this old post up but I didn't want to start a new thread with the same topic. I am just looking for your input since there are several openings from GS5 to GS7 throughout the country. I would like to apply but I am not sure if my previous (kind of unrelated) experience would qualify me for a higher GS level.

Substitution of education for experience is only available on GS5 level (I have a completed master's degree), but GS6-7 require experience:

"GS-06: You qualify for the GS-06 grade level if you possess one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-05 grade level in the federal service, performing duties such as:

Performing routine functions associated with processing those arrested or detained by law enforcement officials (e.g., booking, strip and baggage searches);
Performing file searches and assembling documentation in accordance with specific instructions; and
Providing routine information on specific and clearly defined questions and issues regarding legal or law enforcement policies, practices and procedures."

My question is: Do I have to have experience in all of these duties or just some or would my experience be transferable?
I have never worked with law enforcement before but I performed file searches and assembling documentation and provided routine information regarding legal policies (but not law enforcement policies).

I assume I could only apply for GS5 since they ask for specialized experience but this forum has been so helpful so far, so I thought I might ask you, guys.

Thanks for your input!
Gopeder  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2019 3:13:45 PM(UTC)
Gopeder

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
It says "such as" . Let them tell you that you do not qualify for the higher GS level. Be truthful in all you have done. They can see that you have never worked with law enforcement before by reading your resume.

If you don't want to go for the lower grade then mark the box that says what grade you would accept.
Remember, it only takes a year of good work to move up from a 5 to a 7 then then another good year to an GS8. ERA's work Monday through Friday. Some offices with let you work 10 hour days some will not. It is a good office job if you want to get your foot in the door toward being a status employee.
thanks 2 users thanked Gopeder for this useful post.
Endless Summer on 9/5/2019(UTC), zizzer on 9/6/2019(UTC)
Endless Summer  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2019 3:58:23 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 193 time(s) in 166 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gopeder Go to Quoted Post
It says "such as" . Let them tell you that you do not qualify for the higher GS level. Be truthful in all you have done. They can see that you have never worked with law enforcement before by reading your resume.

If you don't want to go for the lower grade then mark the box that says what grade you would accept.
Remember, it only takes a year of good work to move up from a 5 to a 7 then then another good year to an GS8. ERA's work Monday through Friday. Some offices with let you work 10 hour days some will not. It is a good office job if you want to get your foot in the door toward being a status employee.

This is great advice. Apply, be honest, and let them tell you if you're qualified. I wouldn't suggest this if you were unqualified and trying to sneak in, but you have relevant experience that could get you in the door.

It's hard enough to get in without disqualifying yourself.

Good luck
thanks 1 user thanked Endless Summer for this useful post.
zizzer on 9/6/2019(UTC)
zizzer  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2019 4:55:22 AM(UTC)
zizzer

United States

Thank you, Gopeder!

I checked my application, and I only marked GS-5, since the occupation questionnaire was way more specific than the job opening, however, I tried to emphasize my transferable skills in my resume. I would not mind even the GS-5 level, since it would not be a pay cut for me (I earn the same amount of money but with 50+ hours/week work) and I would really love to work in an office environment with a way better work-life balance.

I applied about 3 weeks ago, the vacancy is open until mid-November and "cut-off dates for referral to hiring managers for selection consideration will be established as vacancies occur". So... I am waiting hoping to get some type of feedback. :)

Thank you for your input again, it is really helpful and made this position even more appealing to me.

Edited by user Friday, September 6, 2019 4:56:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: misspell

zizzer  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2019 5:00:03 AM(UTC)
zizzer

United States

Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post

This is great advice. Apply, be honest, and let them tell you if you're qualified. I wouldn't suggest this if you were unqualified and trying to sneak in, but you have relevant experience that could get you in the door.

It's hard enough to get in without disqualifying yourself.

Good luck

Thank you, Endless Summer!
Yes, I am always honest, because I do not want to be disqualified because of intentional lying and I believe being truthful is the way to go. :)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed