Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cwal897  
#21 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 12:02:09 PM(UTC)
Cwal897

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Yes you can bring your wife with you but if it requires a flight you would be responsible for those expenses! Examiner at my previous agency brought there family sometimes! But go look at the reviews! This job requires significant travel and you should expect that if you or your family have restrictions on how much time is unacceptable for you to be out on the road this may not be the type of job for you! The number one reason people quit is do to the travel! For me it’s great cause I love to travel and I’m single! So you need make sure this is type of job you are willing to live with!
USMC03  
#22 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 12:24:54 PM(UTC)
USMC03

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cwal897 Go to Quoted Post
Yes you can bring your wife with you but if it requires a flight you would be responsible for those expenses! Examiner at my previous agency brought there family sometimes! But go look at the reviews! This job requires significant travel and you should expect that if you or your family have restrictions on how much time is unacceptable for you to be out on the road this may not be the type of job for you! The number one reason people quit is do to the travel! For me it’s great cause I love to travel and I’m single! So you need make sure this is type of job you are willing to live with!

I understand that. That’s why I wanna make sure that this is for me. Also she’s okay with me being gone a total of half a year gone. But when you say a lot of travel how many months out of the year? Do you have any insight as to how the first year is gonna go?
USMC03  
#23 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 12:29:15 PM(UTC)
USMC03

Is the flex schedule allowed the first year? This job seems great I think there’s just too many unanswered questions. She said she would also be okay with 3 to 4 months total through out the year really seems like a great opportunity but my family is a concern
Cwal897  
#24 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 12:34:23 PM(UTC)
Cwal897

Announcement says 75%

That’s 9 months out of 12

50% would be 6months out of 12

With all the training required in the beginning it’s going be high! Just be prepared there is no magic formula to say exactly because it depends!
USMC03  
#25 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 1:10:57 PM(UTC)
USMC03

Announcement says 75%

With all the training required in the beginning it’s going be high! Just be prepared there is no magic formula to say exactly because it depends!

Yeah 9 months being away from home basically never coming home doesn’t seem worth it as a GS7 or even GS9 which I qualified for both. No freaking way 9 months out of the year lol that’s insane
USMC03  
#26 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 1:12:53 PM(UTC)
USMC03

Announcement says 75%

To add to that where is the FLEXIBILITY on that??
guruebby  
#27 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 3:50:33 PM(UTC)
guruebby

United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Originally Posted by: USMC03 Go to Quoted Post
Announcement says 75%

The job entails you being on the road. They are very upfront with that fact. As you progress in your career, you will likely be better able to choose your assignments, but that's not until at least two years in and you are a certified examiner.

Until then, you either adapt or find another job. Talk to your interviewers if you are that worried about it. They should be able to give you a very clear picture of what they experienced in the beginning of their careers.
thanks 1 user thanked guruebby for this useful post.
USMC03 on 9/9/2019(UTC)
USMC03  
#28 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 7:08:01 PM(UTC)
USMC03

Originally Posted by: guruebby Go to Quoted Post
Announcement says 75%

The job entails you being on the road. They are very upfront with that fact. As you progress in your career, you will likely be better able to choose your assignments, but that's not until at least two years in and you are a certified examiner.

Until then, you either adapt or find another job. Talk to your interviewers if you are that worried about it. They should be able to give you a very clear picture of what they experienced in the beginning of their careers.

I will

Please keep us updated on your process
USMC03  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2019 3:44:26 AM(UTC)
USMC03

Announcement says 75%

I guess what I’m getting at is this. Do you come home every night besides those 100 nights out of the year? If you’re on the road 100 nights out of the year the first year I assume you go home every night rinse and repeat.

Within 40 miles radius? Example you have to visit this credit union is 35 miles one way you basically commute there everyday then you go home but actually being gone from home is 100 nights the first year and 80 the second.

As long as I get to come home everyday that would be okay
TheRealOrange  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2019 4:11:58 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 114 post(s)
I guess what I’m getting at is this. Do you come home every night besides those 100 nights out of the year? If you’re on the road 100 nights out of the year the first year I assume you go home every night rinse and repeat.

Within 40 miles radius? Example you have to visit this credit union is 35 miles one way you basically commute there everyday then you go home but actually being gone from home is 100 nights the first year and 80 the second.

It's difficult to decipher your question(s). As a general rule if you are not away from home in official regular duty travel status to conduct an exam, then yes, you would be at home. The number used for travel by Federal financial regulators is usually a reference to "nights out," which is being in official travel status away from home. Also, if the exam is at a financial institution that is commutable from your home, then yes, you could stay at home and commute. I wouldn't just assume that you would be doing actual exams from home depending on the geographic territory being covered, but time not in travel status includes examination-related work that can be done outside of the institution. As previously mentioned, the amount of travel is often cited as the primary reason Federal financial institution examiners leave the job for something with less travel, e.g., state level financial regulatory jobs.
USMC03  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2019 4:22:02 AM(UTC)
USMC03

Originally Posted by: TheRealOrange Go to Quoted Post

It's difficult to decipher your question(s). As a general rule if you are not away from home in official regular duty travel status to conduct an exam, then yes, you would be at home. The number used for travel by Federal financial regulators is usually a reference to "nights out," which is being in official travel status away from home. Also, if the exam is at a financial institution that is commutable from your home, then yes, you could stay at home and commute. I wouldn't just assume that you would be doing actual exams from home depending on the geographic territory being covered, but time not in travel status includes examination-related work that can be done outside of the institution. As previously mentioned, the amount of travel is often cited as the primary reason Federal financial institution examiners leave the job for something with less travel, e.g., state level financial regulatory jobs.

You’ve answered my question same as everyone else. The job seems amazing I just don’t want to make a mistake. Then later on have to quit or find something else. The money seems to be good as well but I have just started a family and we have a new born that’s 4 months old. From everything I have gathered you gone 9 months out of the year. There’s no flexibility for the first 2 years and you’re basically putting miles on your car. I don’t think this is the job for me. I’ll go through the interview and ask questions but it just seems brutal. If you can commute to whatever place they want you to go that’s no more than 40 miles one way from home then drive back another 40 miles. What time are you actually gonna be home? 1 hour for dinner then rinse and repeat? I love going to the gym that doesn’t seem like it would work.. I don’t know.. I’ll go through the interview and see what happens but even at GS9 doesn’t quiet seem worth it to me to be honest. They expect a lot out of you
guruebby  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:39:03 PM(UTC)
guruebby

United States

I was offered the job today at the CU-9 level. They gave me a total compensation estimate that accounts for even the non-monetary "compensation" you receive every year. It was $15k higher than my current total compensation with the AF.

I've been kicking it around in my head all day, and the only negative I keep coming back to is the travel. Everything else is above and beyond what the DoD offers at this level. They pay a portion of health insurance every paycheck. They put extra money in a separate 401k for you beyond TSP. They give you a bonus (after your first year) based on how often you spend the night away from home each year. And if you are working within commuting distance, you get to be at home at night. If you aren't examining a credit union, you work from home. No worries of furloughs if a shutdown happens. Annual raises outside of the appropriations process that can sometimes not happen in the GS world.

You need to figure out what you need to know about the travel heading into the interview. If 100 nights is the breaking point, say so. But keep in mind that there are likely dozens of people behind you that will make the travel piece of it work and will take the job in a second. And if you are wary of the travel from the jump, they may simply choose to bypass you anyway.

It's really a personal decision. But your region is also different from mine and might have different requirements. I was told about half the travel was within daily commuting distance, while the other half would either be a long-ish drive or a flight somewhere. And once you become a senior examiner (after two years if you come in at CU-9), it seems you have a bit more say about your assignments.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:39:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cwal897  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 1:01:16 PM(UTC)
Cwal897

Congrats man! I’m still waiting! How did you receive the offer? Email? Call!
USMC03  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 1:12:15 PM(UTC)
USMC03

I was offered the job today at the CU-9 level. They gave me a total compensation estimate that accounts for even the non-monetary "compensation" you receive every year. It was $15k higher than my current total compensation with the AF.

I've been kicking it around in my head all day, and the only negative I keep coming back to is the travel. Everything else is above and beyond what the DoD offers at this level. They pay a portion of health insurance every paycheck. They put extra money in a separate 401k for you beyond TSP. They give you a bonus (after your first year) based on how often you spend the night away from home each year. And if you are working within commuting distance, you get to be at home at night. If you aren't examining a credit union, you work from home. No worries of furloughs if a shutdown happens. Annual raises outside of the appropriations process that can sometimes not happen in the GS world.

You need to figure out what you need to know about the travel heading into the interview. If 100 nights is the breaking point, say so. But keep in mind that there are likely dozens of people behind you that will make the travel piece of it work and will take the job in a second. And if you are wary of the travel from the jump, they may simply choose to bypass you anyway.

It's really a personal decision. But your region is also different from mine and might have different requirements. I was told about half the travel was within daily commuting distance, while the other half would either be a long-ish drive or a flight somewhere. And once you become a senior examiner (after two years if you come in at CU-9), it seems you have a bit more say about your assignments.

Dude

This is awesome! Well that’s what I wanted to know the commute back home. I can do that being away commuting then coming back home every night... the travel portion I can bring the wife and new born...

Question:

How often are the exams? Let’s talk monthly. Also what about travel how often are you gone in any given month nights out from home... I’m in the southern region I interview next week in Atlanta.

Do you get to schedule your audits? After 2 years? Make your own schedule?
guruebby  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 1:13:16 PM(UTC)
guruebby

United States

He called initially, but since I don't have access to my phone, he sent an email asking me to call. Had a 20 minute chat with the HR folks where we talked about everything, then they emailed over the tentative offer. Still need to talk it through a bit more with the wife tonight, but I'm leaning towards accepting it.

USAJobs has changed over to "Selected" too which is nice. Honestly, it just feels great to be wanted after sitting around waiting for the IRS or some other AF job to call.
guruebby  
#36 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 1:14:45 PM(UTC)
guruebby

United States

Dude

This is awesome! Well that’s what I wanted to know the commute back home. I can do that being away commuting then coming back home every night... the travel portion I can bring the wife and new born...

Question:

How often are the exams? Let’s talk monthly. Also what about travel how often are you gone in any given month nights out from home... I’m in the southern region I interview next week in Atlanta.

I don't know any of these specifics just yet, other than the target start date is 27 October with training in Alexandria.
USMC03  
#37 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 1:16:05 PM(UTC)
USMC03

He called initially, but since I don't have access to my phone, he sent an email asking me to call. Had a 20 minute chat with the HR folks where we talked about everything, then they emailed over the tentative offer. Still need to talk it through a bit more with the wife tonight, but I'm leaning towards accepting it.

USAJobs has changed over to "Selected" too which is nice. Honestly, it just feels great to be wanted after sitting around waiting for the IRS or some other AF job to call.

What does the wife think about you being gone? What’s your location? Also I’m glad you got 9 I only got 7 any suggestions on the interview questions ?
USMC03  
#38 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 1:19:10 PM(UTC)
USMC03

Dude

Question:

I don't know any of these specifics just yet, other than the target start date is 27 October with training in Alexandria.

That’s quiet quick! I’ll be damnnnn

So CU 9 pay 50k plus 15k really about 65k starting out?

guruebby  
#39 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 3:19:12 PM(UTC)
guruebby

United States

What does the wife think about you being gone? What’s your location? Also I’m glad you got 9 I only got 7 any suggestions on the interview questions ?

She's okay with it for the moment.
She's on board with me being around when I'm not gone, though it will definitely take some getting used to.

I'll be working out of Salt Lake. I live about 30 miles north near Hill AFB, where I currently work for the Air Force. I qualified as a CU-9 because I have a couple of masters degrees, and they matched what the AF is currently paying (but not a penny more... I asked). If I take the job, I'll be coming on board about the middle of the CU-9 payband, which will bump my pay in subsequent years after promotions and all that. Honestly, even without a raise in my base pay, it'll probably be a $200-300 raise on my take home pay a month because of the insurance rebates.

I might see if I can leverage the offer to stay with the AF, especially since I have six weeks before I would start, but there isnt really a spot for me in my current org with a raise attached and I don't really want to go elsewhere at the moment.

It's also a question of where I could end up long-term; if I stay with the AF, would I be able to beat CU-12 (GS13 equivalent) pay in two years? Do I really see myself working for the AF for the next 20 years? My 3+ years with the AF hasn't been terrible, but it also hasn't felt like a "career" like this does.
USMC03  
#40 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 5:07:05 PM(UTC)
USMC03

She's okay with it for the moment.
She's on board with me being around when I'm not gone, though it will definitely take some getting used to.

I'll be working out of Salt Lake. I live about 30 miles north near Hill AFB, where I currently work for the Air Force. I qualified as a CU-9 because I have a couple of masters degrees, and they matched what the AF is currently paying (but not a penny more... I asked). If I take the job, I'll be coming on board about the middle of the CU-9 payband, which will bump my pay in subsequent years after promotions and all that. Honestly, even without a raise in my base pay, it'll probably be a $200-300 raise on my take home pay a month because of the insurance rebates.

I might see if I can leverage the offer to stay with the AF, especially since I have six weeks before I would start, but there isnt really a spot for me in my current org with a raise attached and I don't really want to go elsewhere at the moment.

It's also a question of where I could end up long-term; if I stay with the AF, would I be able to beat CU-12 (GS13 equivalent) pay in two years? Do I really see myself working for the AF for the next 20 years? My 3+ years with the AF hasn't been terrible, but it also hasn't felt like a "career" like this does.

I understand my wife says she doesn’t mind coming with me sometimes and living out of a suit case with our new born.

I’ll need to get a new car since the 08 I have won’t last one bit... this is a great opportunity. Did they say what area you would be covering?

Rss Feed  Atom Feed