Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CertifiedSinecure  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2019 12:09:16 PM(UTC)
CertifiedSinecure

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
The FAA released the following two public notices in the form vague of USAJob postings:

FV G (GS11/12 Equiv).... https://www.usajobs.gov/...b/ViewDetails/529597700/
FV H-K (GS 13-15 Equiv) https://www.usajobs.gov/...b/ViewDetails/529585200/

This caught my eye as a possible way to get above FG/GS-13 in cyber without moving to Washington DC.

Does anyone know what it's like to work in Cybersecurity for the Federal Aviation Authority?

Does anyone know more about what Cybersecurity roles they're looking for? (Incident response, governance, control implementation, ect)

Does anyone know where the positions will be located?
thanks 1 user thanked CertifiedSinecure for this useful post.
Polynsneyes on 6/4/2019(UTC)
BigNutz  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 9:28:51 AM(UTC)
BigNutz

Man
United States

Hi:

I do I do. But before we go there, you need to expel the erroneous name Federal Aviation Authority when referring to the FAA. They are designated the Federal Aviation Administration, who are the designated USG federal aviation authority for civil aviation in the US.

So I can't speak to the cyber operations, but have worked around, with, or for the FAA for over 2 decades.

The most interesting characteristic of the agency I found was that as a function of the sheer size, the FAA is actually made up of a group of 7-9 distinct organizations, all with distinct, widely variable cultures, and in many cases with missions which can at times be at odds with one of the other organizations in the agency. The designations may have changed with these, but the underlying organizational hierarchy and dividing lines are baked in solid, and almost certainly still present.

Also, it bears noting, despite how different they all are, every office and employee working there do so under one single priority, aviation safety. Aviation safety underlies everything the FAA does, and this is incorruptible at the institutional level.

Also, this would turn into a book if I went through each one, so I won't.

The Air Traffic Organization, or ATO, is by far the largest one of these FAA sub-organizations. This is the FAA that is charged with the developing, maintaining, executing, and coordinating all aircraft movements occurring inside their domain, the National Airspace System, or NAS (pronounced Nass). This is where you'll find Air Traffic Control (ATC), airspace and procedure regulatory management, the FAA National Command Center, and a host of other functions.

Then you have the organization colloquially known simply as "Airports". As the name suggests, they manage national airport regulatory standards, maintain nationwide standards, and more. The culture here is absolutely distinct from their colleagues in the ATO, not better or worse, just different.

Then there is the Tech Center, geographically separated from FAA HQ, located in New Jersey. This is where the SUPER smart merdy kids go to develop all sorts of awesome tech, make sure it can stand up to the riggers of daily use, and engage with members of the aerospace industry to coordinate standards. There is a regular aircraft shuttle service between DCA and the Tech Center because, well, they're the FAA.

The other organizations include environmental and hazmat, international affairs, security and intelligence, safety oversight, and a million others.

Like I mentioned, the broad brush characteristics of FAA's culture is based on safety, absolutely everything else is second to that. The workforce is as diverse as you can imagine, and most folks are extremely professional dedicated to their role in making this giant NAS machine run. The FAA ranks are also filled with some of the most intelligent and knowledgeable people I've ever met, working exactly where they want and should be. By in large, the relationship between senior leadership and the workforce is very positive, with the unavoidable few exceptions. Regardless of rank or position, 99% of interactions are done so on a first name basis, vice betting expected to address superiors as Mr. or Ms. Fragile Ego.

Is a great place to work and offers a million things to get involved with. Another interesting characteristic is, at least up to a few years ago, was the USG's highest paid agency, which translates to the average FAA employee salary is higher than the average employee salary at any other USG agency. This is a function of many complex factors, but is mostly due to the extremely high level of expertise and knowledge required for the majority of the positions, the far greater average tenure of FAA employees than those at other agencies, Congressional priorities which ensure sufficient funding, and the high performance most FAA employees provide great over year.

Good luck in your endeavors, the FAA is a great place to experience a unique and fulfilling career.
frankgonzalez  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 10:03:32 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 973 time(s) in 774 post(s)
To the above, another data point can be found at https://bestplacestowork.org/rankings/overall/sub

FAA is 170 out of 415 sub-agencies across the federal government. Not bad...but not great. Slightly below DoT overall average.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed