Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Justice

Voted one of the “Best Places to Work in the Federal Government‚ in 2010, the Department of Justice and its 124,870 employees help lead the nation in ensuring the protection of all Americans while preserving their constitutional freedoms. 
144 Pages«<141142143144>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Vjurado  
#2841 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 5:14:58 PM(UTC)
Vjurado

Groups: Registered
United States

You moved pretty quickly. Seems as though everyone is a little different, assuming due to dept needs, etc.
Best of luck to you!!
Rabbitsfoot  
#2842 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 5:30:47 PM(UTC)
Rabbitsfoot

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Thanks! Good luck to you as well. Hang in there.
thanks 1 user thanked Rabbitsfoot for this useful post.
Vjurado on 10/9/2019(UTC)
agent05  
#2843 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 7:23:51 AM(UTC)
agent05

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hello everyone, quick question... so assuming you clear a pre-employment steps and the BI.... do you EOD at your duty location first then head out to the academy? Or do you go to the academy first?
luckydevil  
#2844 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 7:34:44 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Originally Posted by: agent05 Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone, quick question... so assuming you clear a pre-employment steps and the BI.... do you EOD at your duty location first then head out to the academy? Or do you go to the academy first?

Academy first
SummerSoup  
#2845 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 4:26:47 PM(UTC)
SummerSoup

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: howellminn Go to Quoted Post
During the long process, has anyone had other career prospects arise or taken a new job? I took a job recently (8/18 applicant) which doubled my salary, and now, despite having just submitted my screening docs, I'm unsure if it's worth taking such a large paycut to try and stick it out and make it to the finish line.

Not trying to #wierdflex lol.

Yes, many people move on. There will only be two DI academies a year going forward with a max of 30 students. Many people decline the job, whether it's because they found something better, family issues, or don't like the location. Do not accept the offer if you do not want to go to the location. The outstanding student award does not go to the student with the highest grade average so that's also a long shot. There's a reason why every graduating DI class loses folks. After graduating they admitted the retention rate was about 50%. You have to be realistic. In the end, it's a steady paycheck.
agent05  
#2846 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 4:58:52 PM(UTC)
agent05

Why do you think the retention rate is 50%? That’s a scary number, what about the job do you think folks balk at after graduating? I mean I can’t understand and would like to know as the way I see it.... it’s mainly M-F
9-5, weekend and holidays off, you work a bit of criminal cases, get a G ride and promote to a 13? Mine sharing what you’ve heard about this retention rate?
luckydevil  
#2847 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2019 10:06:48 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Anyone know as far as training goes, are uniforms issued like in FLETC? I will be coming from hot climate so if I am in the Feb class trying prepare for winter clothes if needed then lol.
CharlesW0513  
#2848 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:26:46 PM(UTC)
CharlesW0513

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SummerSoup Go to Quoted Post
During the long process, has anyone had other career prospects arise or taken a new job? I took a job recently (8/18 applicant) which doubled my salary, and now, despite having just submitted my screening docs, I'm unsure if it's worth taking such a large paycut to try and stick it out and make it to the finish line.

Yes, many people move on. There will only be two DI academies a year going forward with a max of 30 students. Many people decline the job, whether it's because they found something better, family issues, or don't like the location. Do not accept the offer if you do not want to go to the location. The outstanding student award does not go to the student with the highest grade average so that's also a long shot. There's a reason why every graduating DI class loses folks. After graduating they admitted the retention rate was about 50%. You have to be realistic. In the end, it's a steady paycheck.

Yes please explain the retention rate, and I thought I read somewhere that you are told your location after the academy and not before? Which means you have already accepted the job?
luckydevil  
#2849 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:28:14 PM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Originally Posted by: CharlesW0513 Go to Quoted Post

Yes please explain the retention rate, and I thought I read somewhere that you are told your location after the academy and not before? Which means you have already accepted the job?

You get your location before you go.
Rabbitsfoot  
#2850 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 11:39:13 PM(UTC)
Rabbitsfoot

You get a final offer after submitting your location preference sheet. You either accept or decline the offer. You should have signed a mobility agreement, so there are no negotiations. If you accept, then you are hired and go to next Academy available. I understood that the class is 45-50 students unless that changed. After graduation, you go to your local office about 60 days and then report to your assigned location after relocating. Since you are employed while at the academy, it’s important you graduate. This forum is the first one I’ve heard anything about a 50% retention rate, but can see how everyone has different things to consider. Personally, I still have a desire to pursue a DI career. Best wishes to all!
GearUp  
#2851 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2019 6:06:01 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 554 time(s) in 188 post(s)
Who are the "they" that said we have a 50% retention rate? If we only have a 50% retention rate then that means we have a 50% loss rate. That's pretty high and I don't believe it. I don't know what the loss rate is, but 50% is pretty high. I don't know what data or proof the individual who came up with that number is using. Is he/she saying 50% loss of recent grads? 50% loss of a specific class? 50% loss from a specific office or division? 50% loss of DIs on for one year? 50% loss of DIs on for 5 years? 50% loss of DIs on for 10 years? Or loss of 15 year veterans? What statistics, year group, etc., is he/she using? Again, I don't now the exact loss rate is but 50% loss is way to high and I don't believe it. I very well could be wrong but I don't think so.
Rabbitsfoot  
#2852 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2019 6:37:49 AM(UTC)
Rabbitsfoot

SummerSoup,
Where did you get your information regarding the retention rate being 50%? Curious to know after Gearhead’s post. What did you mean when you said they finally admitted it? I still think this is a great career opportunity.
SummerSoup  
#2853 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2019 6:46:09 AM(UTC)
SummerSoup

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Would never blast who "they" is, but it came straight from the Office of Training. No clue what the parameters were for the statistics offered (what's the saying about statistics...) but take BDI49 for example - they've already lost 10 for various reasons.

Uniforms are issued at the academy. Trainees had to bring brown boots and a brown belt. Everything else was issued.

You get your location before you go. The 1811s now also get their location before they go. And although you sign the mobility agreement, some people don't get that accepting an offer at a location and/or signing a mobility agreement means you go where you are needed.

The recruiters met last month and were told 30 to a class, 2 classes a year in 2020.

If you are looking for a straight 9-5 gig without call outs, weekends and holidays off (done with being a LEO), then yes, good gig for you. Not every office gets the OGV to take home. Remember it's an 1811 who oversees the DI program and a DI is not an 1811.

You do promote to a non-competitive and non-supervisory 13. But your grade time does not start from when you EOD. The year clock starts after you graduate the academy. And you have to wait 3 years for the 13 unless you get the Impact. There's talk they will be doing away with the Impact Promo for 1811s. If that happens, DIs can kiss it goodbye.

Day to day policies and the work vary depending on the office you go to, your GS, etc. All DIs get a Work Plan, but the number, the type of registrants, etc is different. Not all DIs work criminal cases, some almost exclusively do. The CFR has next to zero teeth. AUSAs have to be willing to take cases. So a lot of it is out of your hands. Good luck to all.
thanks 1 user thanked SummerSoup for this useful post.
USMC03 on 10/16/2019(UTC)
luckydevil  
#2854 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2019 6:57:43 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Would never blast who "they" is, but it came straight from the Office of Training. No clue what the parameters were for the statistics offered (what's the saying about statistics...) but take BDI49 for example - they've already lost 10 for various reasons.

Uniforms are issued at the academy. Trainees had to bring brown boots and a brown belt. Everything else was issued.

You get your location before you go. The 1811s now also get their location before they go. And although you sign the mobility agreement, some people don't get that accepting an offer at a location and/or signing a mobility agreement means you go where you are needed.

The recruiters met last month and were told 30 to a class, 2 classes a year in 2020.

If you are looking for a straight 9-5 gig without call outs, weekends and holidays off (done with being a LEO), then yes, good gig for you. Not every office gets the OGV to take home. Remember it's an 1811 who oversees the DI program and a DI is not an 1811.

You do promote to a non-competitive and non-supervisory 13. But your grade time does not start from when you EOD. The year clock starts after you graduate the academy. And you have to wait 3 years for the 13 unless you get the Impact. There's talk they will be doing away with the Impact Promo for 1811s. If that happens, DIs can kiss it goodbye.

Day to day policies and the work vary depending on the office you go to, your GS, etc. All DIs get a Work Plan, but the number, the type of registrants, etc is different. Not all DIs work criminal cases, some almost exclusively do. The CFR has next to zero teeth. AUSAs have to be willing to take cases. So a lot of it is out of your hands. Good luck to all.

Does it matter what kind of brown boots? I was about to buy a new pair for winter so if I'm going to spend the money I'd rather get a pair for use in February's class.
Rabbitsfoot  
#2855 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 3:42:38 AM(UTC)
Rabbitsfoot

It seems like I saw a post previously indicated the boots are Timberland brand and some other brand that’s acceptable. I think they send you a list of things you need to bring with details of travel to academy and reimbursement. I remember some students ordering boots on line and cost is around $100. I would check to be sure before purchasing. Hope this helps.
thanks 2 users thanked Rabbitsfoot for this useful post.
HafFull on 10/16/2019(UTC), NickZ on 10/16/2019(UTC)
mvp375  
#2856 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:54:34 AM(UTC)
mvp375

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
8/18
Anyone hear anything after the disclosures?
AlecN  
#2857 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:05:24 AM(UTC)
AlecN

United States

08/18 Applicant

Nothing after the disclosures yet.
CharlesW0513  
#2858 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:08:29 AM(UTC)
CharlesW0513

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mvp375 Go to Quoted Post
8/18
Anyone hear anything after the disclosures?

Nope, nothing yet
Vjurado  
#2859 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:19:51 AM(UTC)
Vjurado

United States

Nothing yet after disclosure sent regarding next steps, but did receive email from HR that DOD took over BI, backlog in the 1000's..hope this means things will begin to move more quickly
Hampton121  
#2860 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:40:55 AM(UTC)
Hampton121

United States

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Vjurado Go to Quoted Post
Nothing yet after disclosure sent regarding next steps, but did receive email from HR that DOD took over BI, backlog in the 1000's..hope this means things will begin to move more quickly

Wouldn't that mean it will take longer since they have a backlog of 1000?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed