Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

78 Pages«<7172737475>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gsmaciel  
#1441 Posted : Sunday, October 6, 2019 10:38:39 AM(UTC)
gsmaciel

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RetiredArmy2019 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: gsmaciel Go to Quoted Post
Hey all, I tried searching the whole thread to get answers to my questions, but I only got to page 23, so sorry if these have been asked/answered already:

I have been working in general IT full time for the last 6 years.

I earned my bachelor's degree last year, and am on track to get my masters by the end of November.

When I get my masters I will have 1 year of experience in cybersecurity, and is when I attend to apply.

1. My first question is, does all my full time experience go towards the professional experience requirement, or only the year of work after attaining my BS and working in my critical skills role (Cybersecurity)?

2. Also, I did some searching and saw a critical skills chart referenced, including which IT certs could help make one more competitive. I can't find such a document though.

Does anyone know of any cyber security certs will help make an applicant more competitive? I am considering getting CISSP before applying.

3. I have let myself get out of shape and would definitely fail the SPFT now. Should I submit the score anyway or wait till I'm in better shape?

Thanks in advance!

Experience is experience, whether it's before or after your degree. The general premise behind is that most people don't get any experience until after they attend college. I didn't get a Bachelor's until I was 31 but had been in the Army since I was 18. If you have experience and have a reference for such experience, you're good to go. Certifications are certifications. There isn't one over the other that would make you more competitive. The more you have, the better. I'm sure you having one certification is more than many applicants have had who have gone on to be competitive. Being able to put IT in your background is enough to suggest a critical skill. Submitting your score is on you. Some will say get in shape first and some will say submit it as is. There's no requirement to submit a passing score; even says so in the application process. You need to be able to pass it in the next 4, 5, 6, or however many months it will take for you to get to that point in order to keep your process moving. The question is, can you be ready to do it when it's time? If you can or cannot, then you have your answer. Good luck.

Thank you for the thorough response!
CHI
App - Technical: 9/2/19
App Deadline: 10/15/19

S.A.
App: 11/19 (expected)

Pastelitonyc  
#1442 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2019 11:59:59 AM(UTC)
Pastelitonyc

For all the 480 people that attended the NYC M&G, how likely does everyone think that we'll receive our rankings this week?
1995JeepCherokee  
#1443 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2019 2:43:15 PM(UTC)
1995JeepCherokee

United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pastelitonyc Go to Quoted Post
For all the 480 people that attended the NYC M&G, how likely does everyone think that we'll receive our rankings this week?

lol
App: 12/11
P1: 12/22
Add. Info: 1/2
M&G: 2/8
Writing: 4/9
Panel: 6/4
Pass P2: 6/10
PFT (Fail): 6/19
PFT (2nd): TBD
thanks 1 user thanked 1995JeepCherokee for this useful post.
DEPDT on 10/8/2019(UTC)
MICPA  
#1444 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2019 7:22:38 PM(UTC)
MICPA

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Hey guys so I’m a current Irs Employee and came across the fbi job post through linkedin. There are some openings in My state and I know selection is rigorous for the fbi. Can someone explain how hard the physical fitness test or some insight for those that have been a part of the process? Thanks

Edited by user Monday, October 7, 2019 7:23:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SuperDuperSecretSquirrel  
#1445 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2019 8:10:42 PM(UTC)
SuperDuperSecretSquirrel

Man
United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MICPA Go to Quoted Post
Hey guys so I’m a current Irs Employee and came across the fbi job post through linkedin. There are some openings in My state and I know selection is rigorous for the fbi. Can someone explain how hard the physical fitness test or some insight for those that have been a part of the process? Thanks

I think it is hard. I played college soccer and failed my first PFT. You can definitely train enough and be ready for it though and pass with ease. It is all about preparation and mindset.
Eazy Duz It  
#1446 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 8:31:40 AM(UTC)
Eazy Duz It

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I had my Phase 2 Interview yesterday. I think it went decently. I was able to answer all the questions with fluidity. I do feel as though I didn't answer three of the questions as strongly as I answered the others (in my opinion). From this point forward until I get the email saying YES or NO, I'm definitely going to be very anxious and nervous. Anyone has any feedback about their Phase 2 Interview experience (time it takes to find out if you passed or not, your personal performance critique, etc.)?
App: 6/25
Ph1: 7/16
M&G: 7/30
Ph2 Test: 8/15
Ph2 Int: 10/7
App2018licant  
#1447 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 9:23:09 AM(UTC)
App2018licant

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Eazy Duz It Go to Quoted Post
I had my Phase 2 Interview yesterday. I think it went decently. I was able to answer all the questions with fluidity. I do feel as though I didn't answer three of the questions as strongly as I answered the others (in my opinion). From this point forward until I get the email saying YES or NO, I'm definitely going to be very anxious and nervous. Anyone has any feedback about their Phase 2 Interview experience (time it takes to find out if you passed or not, your personal performance critique, etc.)?

I had my Phase 2 back in April and it took a full week to get the result. Before the interview my AC told me to expect to wait about three weeks for the pass/fail email.

During the interview, the SA's took a lot of notes (I was told that's a good sign) and asked about 3-4 follow up questions allowing me to expand on my answers. I left the interview feeling fairly confident, but felt I could have given stronger answers to about 25% of the questions.

While waiting for the result, I convinced myself that I failed. I was relived when I got that pass result. Sounds like you did well! Gluck!
Applied: 12/2018
Background: 6/2019
Eazy Duz It  
#1448 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 9:25:46 AM(UTC)
Eazy Duz It

United States

Originally Posted by: App2018licant Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Eazy Duz It Go to Quoted Post

I had my Phase 2 back in April and it took a full week to get the result. Before the interview my AC told me to expect to wait about three weeks for the pass/fail email.

During the interview, the SA's took a lot of notes (I was told that's a good sign) and asked about 3-4 follow up questions allowing me to expand on my answers. I left the interview feeling fairly confident, but felt I could have given stronger answers to about 25% of the questions.

While waiting for the result, I convinced myself that I failed. I was relived when I got that pass result. Sounds like you did well! Gluck!

I do remember seeing ALOT of note taking from all 3 Agents during my interview but I don't want to look too deep into that. So I guess it's just a waiting game from this point. THANKS!!!
App: 6/25
Ph1: 7/16
M&G: 7/30
Ph2 Test: 8/15
Ph2 Int: 10/7
Ratigan  
#1449 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 9:41:37 AM(UTC)
Ratigan

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

The requirements are here on page 38: https://www.fbijobs.gov/...les/Testing-Overview.pdf

I'd do a self-test as soon as you can to gauge your readiness. There are so many variables that it's tough to say whether it's going to be hard for you in particular, but I will say that if you don't exercise regularly, it's going to be a long road. From what I saw (and keep in mind that I took it during the summer), everyone seemed to find the 1.5-mile run the most difficult, even people who seemed otherwise fit. I was very glad to be a runner that day. If you don't run regularly, start with a beginner's guide (Pete Pfitzinger, Hal Higdon, and Brad Hudson are all good running authors to check out). Other than running regularly, maxing out your sit-ups is probably the most efficient way to get points. I scored an 8 just by doing 20-25 minutes every other day of crunches, planks, leg raises, and whatever miscellaneous ab exercises my wife brought home from her barre classes.
BuckLou  
#1450 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 12:37:12 PM(UTC)
BuckLou

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ratigan Go to Quoted Post

The requirements are here on page 38: https://www.fbijobs.gov/...les/Testing-Overview.pdf

I'd do a self-test as soon as you can to gauge your readiness. There are so many variables that it's tough to say whether it's going to be hard for you in particular, but I will say that if you don't exercise regularly, it's going to be a long road. From what I saw (and keep in mind that I took it during the summer), everyone seemed to find the 1.5-mile run the most difficult, even people who seemed otherwise fit. I was very glad to be a runner that day. If you don't run regularly, start with a beginner's guide (Pete Pfitzinger, Hal Higdon, and Brad Hudson are all good running authors to check out). Other than running regularly, maxing out your sit-ups is probably the most efficient way to get points. I scored an 8 just by doing 20-25 minutes every other day of crunches, planks, leg raises, and whatever miscellaneous ab exercises my wife brought home from her barre classes.

The FBI also provides specific guides and suggestions for training to pass the PFT. If one doesn’t have any fitness knowledge or basic experience, those would be good resources.

As is mostly the case with fitness, each person is different. Research what works for you to increase your scores on each practice PFT and follow basic hypertrophy principles.

App - 12/18
P1 - 12/18
M&G - 1/19
P2 -3/19
PFT - 5/19
PSI - 5/19
Poly - 6/19
Medical - 7/19
BI - Pending
Bishop007  
#1451 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 5:01:56 PM(UTC)
Bishop007

United States

Newbie here.

Applied Yesterday and had my app accepted a few hours after applying. Have P1 scheduled for Friday. Thought just the app proces would take 5-6 weeks so the timeframe caught me off guard. It doesn't look to be much I can do to prepare for P1. Are you guys doing anything to prepare for the other steps in the process? Been working on getting familiar with everything. Been at a desk for the last 5 years, so I know I will need to get my PFT number up. Anything else? Are the P2 study guides worth it?

Edited by user Tuesday, October 8, 2019 5:03:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Applied 10/7
Accepted 10/7
P1 10/11 (pass)
M&G 10/21
RetiredArmy2019  
#1452 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 5:42:47 PM(UTC)
RetiredArmy2019

United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bishop007 Go to Quoted Post
Newbie here.

Applied Yesterday and had my app accepted a few hours after applying. Have P1 scheduled for Friday. Thought just the app proces would take 5-6 weeks so the timeframe caught me off guard. It doesn't look to be much I can do to prepare for P1. Are you guys doing anything to prepare for the other steps in the process? Been working on getting familiar with everything. Been at a desk for the last 5 years, so I know I will need to get my PFT number up. Anything else? Are the P2 study guides worth it?

Nope, P1 is right there in the documents that the FBI provides on the website. P2, nothing available; all about you. Focus on your PFT.

App: 7/25
Self-PFT: 8/5 (23)
Phase I Assessment: 8/9 (Pass)
M&G: 8/21
Phase II(W): 9/4
Phase II(I): 10/21
Meningeezy  
#1453 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 7:31:40 PM(UTC)
Meningeezy

Hey everyone,

So I applied back in July and passed P1 and Req info all relatively quickly. I was then referred to a far away field office for my M&G and it had to be rescheduled because my application was just sent to the wrong place entirely. So I did my M&G back in Sep 16 and have yet to receive a ranking, despite the fact that there were only 6 of us there that day. One of the guys I met there got an email today saying his application was deactivated and they cannot tell him why. Has anyone heard of something like this and does it bar him from ever applying again? As far as me, I have been anxious as all hell on pins and needles waiting for my ranking and I really thought we would have it by now because our AC said we were going to be having PFTs held in early October (we are at an office with the pre P2 PFT pilot program). Anyway, first time posting here and I'm just a total nervous wreck because I got a lot of advisement before applying and a lot of people said I would be competitive including the recruiter I spoke to and then the M&G I just felt like they tore me a new one. Anyway, hope everyone gets their good news soon
Borqman1993  
#1454 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 5:34:34 AM(UTC)
Borqman1993

United States

Originally Posted by: Pastelitonyc Go to Quoted Post

I'm thinking either late this week or sometime early next week. Judging this off 2 things. 1) I could have sworn I heard 2 weeks for the rankings. (Absolutely no idea if this holds any merit. I've seen over a month difference between M&G/Ranking on other applicants signatures). 2) I am sure they want some ppl to take the upcoming PFT.

Take that with a grain of salt, your guess is as good as mine.
App 7/15
P1 Inv 7/30
P1 Test 8/7 - Passed
M&G - 9/25
RetiredArmy2019  
#1455 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 6:38:06 AM(UTC)
RetiredArmy2019

United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Meningeezy Go to Quoted Post
Hey everyone,

So I applied back in July and passed P1 and Req info all relatively quickly. I was then referred to a far away field office for my M&G and it had to be rescheduled because my application was just sent to the wrong place entirely. So I did my M&G back in Sep 16 and have yet to receive a ranking, despite the fact that there were only 6 of us there that day. One of the guys I met there got an email today saying his application was deactivated and they cannot tell him why. Has anyone heard of something like this and does it bar him from ever applying again? As far as me, I have been anxious as all hell on pins and needles waiting for my ranking and I really thought we would have it by now because our AC said we were going to be having PFTs held in early October (we are at an office with the pre P2 PFT pilot program). Anyway, first time posting here and I'm just a total nervous wreck because I got a lot of advisement before applying and a lot of people said I would be competitive including the recruiter I spoke to and then the M&G I just felt like they tore me a new one. Anyway, hope everyone gets their good news soon

With regards to your friend, there are so many intangibles to be able to answer that question. Not knowing why he was terminated means that nobody give a good answer as to whether he could apply again in the future. He only got through Phase I so reasonably, he could reapply in three months. But again, if it was terminated, and nobody knows why to this point, it's hard to give an answer one way or the other. He will need to communicate with his AC.

Same for you in that you will need to communicate with your AC. I don't think it matters how many people were in a M&G that determines the timed receipt of a ranking. I had at least 25-30 people in mine and got my ranking about a week later, as well as a couple other folks. It likely has to do with how fast that FO processes your stuff up to DC, which from my understanding is the office that determines competitiveness which is based off of whatever the AC would recommend to them. With your PFT scheduled for early October (we're there already), there was probably an expectation that it would've been back by now. Just make a phone call or continue waiting, patiently. It's a government process; moves as fast as pond water.

App: 7/25
Self-PFT: 8/5 (23)
Phase I Assessment: 8/9 (Pass)
M&G: 8/21
Phase II(W): 9/4
Phase II(I): 10/21
Tactguy392  
#1456 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 10:41:13 AM(UTC)
Tactguy392

United States

Hi I’ve been following this page for a while but have never posted in it. I was just curious if anybody’s taken the PFT as many times as I have and still not have gotten a final offer yet. I’ve taken and passed the PFT four times with three of those being pre Quantico PFTs. I was told I was going to go to the May academy but the vaccinations became an issue. I was then told I was going to go to the September academy but that came and went and I still did not hear anything. Now I’m waiting to hear if I’m going to the October academy but as each day passes I feel less confident that I’ll hear anything. If I don’t go in October then I’ll have to do the PFT for a fifth time for the January academy. Anybody else in a similar situation?
NeoNoir  
#1457 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 12:51:31 PM(UTC)
NeoNoir

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tactguy392 Go to Quoted Post
Hi I’ve been following this page for a while but have never posted in it. I was just curious if anybody’s taken the PFT as many times as I have and still not have gotten a final offer yet. I’ve taken and passed the PFT four times with three of those being pre Quantico PFTs. I was told I was going to go to the May academy but the vaccinations became an issue. I was then told I was going to go to the September academy but that came and went and I still did not hear anything. Now I’m waiting to hear if I’m going to the October academy but as each day passes I feel less confident that I’ll hear anything. If I don’t go in October then I’ll have to do the PFT for a fifth time for the January academy. Anybody else in a similar situation?

I just passed my pre-q PFT this morning and spoke to my AC on Monday, they sounded confident I'd get into the October class. I'm really hoping that's the case. Good luck tactguy.
Zoodle  
#1458 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:04:36 PM(UTC)
Zoodle

Originally Posted by: Tactguy392 Go to Quoted Post

Same boat though one less - I've taken 3 total, most recently August. Still no word on October class except they're hoping I get in after saying the same about July and September class. It's not really up to them though - entirely up to HQ to clear you in time.
Ezhikus  
#1459 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:09:58 PM(UTC)
Ezhikus

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
How much time they give before 2nd PFT if you failed 1st attempt?
SuperDuperSecretSquirrel  
#1460 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:36:48 PM(UTC)
SuperDuperSecretSquirrel

Man
United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ezhikus Go to Quoted Post
How much time they give before 2nd PFT if you failed 1st attempt?

1 year
Rss Feed  Atom Feed