Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PilotMacgruber  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2019 4:42:18 AM(UTC)
PilotMacgruber

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi everyone,
I stumbled across this forum while searching for stories of people being able to obtain a public trust with bad credit. Long story short, my credit has had multiple charge offs over the past two years due to having to assist my family financially while my dad was struggling with cancer. It wasnt something I wanted to do as up until that point, I always had excellent credit. It came down to ensuring the family had a house and food over paying credit cards and a student loan. It got to the point of me considering bankruptcy, but I didnt want people thinking I wasnt wanting to pay my debts. In hindsight, I wish I had contact the card companies and asked for assistance, but I was too embarrased to do so. I have been able to settle most of the charge offs over the past year, and have four that I have payment arrangements set up with the collection agencies for. When I filled out my SF85P, I disclosed all accounts and gave the reason for the deliquency as well as the payment arrangements that are underway. I want to be able to show that I am working towards handling the balances as my credit health is very important to me. I am hoping this will mitigate the risk as this clearance is for my dream job. Do any of you have similar stories with successful outcomes, or advice? The agency is the FAA. Thank you in advance!
FrankJr  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:56:06 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 106 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PilotMacgruber Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,
I stumbled across this forum while searching for stories of people being able to obtain a public trust with bad credit. Long story short, my credit has had multiple charge offs over the past two years due to having to assist my family financially while my dad was struggling with cancer. It wasnt something I wanted to do as up until that point, I always had excellent credit. It came down to ensuring the family had a house and food over paying credit cards and a student loan. It got to the point of me considering bankruptcy, but I didnt want people thinking I wasnt wanting to pay my debts. In hindsight, I wish I had contact the card companies and asked for assistance, but I was too embarrased to do so. I have been able to settle most of the charge offs over the past year, and have four that I have payment arrangements set up with the collection agencies for. When I filled out my SF85P, I disclosed all accounts and gave the reason for the deliquency as well as the payment arrangements that are underway. I want to be able to show that I am working towards handling the balances as my credit health is very important to me. I am hoping this will mitigate the risk as this clearance is for my dream job. Do any of you have similar stories with successful outcomes, or advice? The agency is the FAA. Thank you in advance!

Public Trust is focused on money. Secret is focused on information. The details are the least of the concerns as the time required to remediate may or may not exceed the be to the detriment of the hiring process. The organization may move to alternative candidates without financial issues.
PilotMacgruber  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2019 1:32:08 PM(UTC)
PilotMacgruber

United States

Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

Public Trust is focused on money. Secret is focused on information. The details are the least of the concerns as the time required to remediate may or may not exceed the be to the detriment of the hiring process. The organization may move to alternative candidates without financial issues.

Hi Frank, thank you for your input! The position is for an Aviation Safety Inspector. I do not believe that there is an financial aspects with the position from what I have heard and been able to find. Would thet make a difference?
Exit7A  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2019 5:34:28 PM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

Hi Frank, thank you for your input! The position is for an Aviation Safety Inspector. I do not believe that there is an financial aspects with the position from what I have heard and been able to find. Would thet make a difference?

You are going through a Tier 2 background check which will determine suitability (see https://www.govinfo.gov/...-title5-vol2-part731.pdf). While you are not dealing with financials, checking your finances as part of investigation will provide the adjudicator insight into how you make decisions. Everyone's case is unique so you may or may not get cleared. The adjudicator will look at the whole you to see if there is a pattern of bad behavior (lapse of judgement). The more recent the infraction the worse it looks for you. All you can do is make things right and have an explanation of what transpired.

Good luck.
That's all I got to say about that.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed