Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

16 Pages«<1112131415>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
1811BAMF  
#241 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 7:04:31 AM(UTC)
1811BAMF

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dubyac Go to Quoted Post
For all of you receiving TOs, congratulations. You're almost there.

I got my TO end of August last year. Then medical/background. Firm offer came mid-Oct. Started FLETC the month after.

If you end up going to Glynco in the winter, be glad. Gnats suck once winter's over.

I'm going to get on a soapbox here:

Be excited, be focused. Have fun, but don't lose this opportunity over doing something stupid there.

The training is challenging. This profession is not for everyone. That's ok. Better to find out in training than in the middle of a warrant.

Keep in mind: You will be working for the IRS. You will work tax cases. Also keep in mind: you're law enforcement. You will have a badge, a gun, and be arresting subjects.

If you're not fit, get fit now. Start exercising. Can you run 1.5 miles without stopping? Without walking? How many push ups? How many sit ups? Pull ups? Can you do some kind of physical activity for any prolonged period of time without being out of breath? The ballistic vest is 15 pounds. Can you move wearing an extra 15 pounds? It might mean the difference between you or someone on your team going home to their family that night. Sure, running sucks. Getting dead sucks worse. If I'm in front of you in a warrant, can you keep up if something happens to me? If something goes sideways? Have I belabored this point enough yet?

And scene.

Take a car to FLETC.

Not trying to discourage anyone, I just want you all to be aware of the price of the badge.

ALL OF THIS.

You will have the opportunity to work strike force/dope/and frauds outside of just tax. Tax is a big part but not our only part we play in the Fed realm.

You will carry a gun and point it at people and people will depend on you to do your part to do things safely and intelligently.

It’s a big responsibility. This is not auditing. This is not civil irs.
JayMan06  
#242 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 7:22:53 AM(UTC)
JayMan06

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dubyac Go to Quoted Post
For all of you receiving TOs, congratulations. You're almost there.

I got my TO end of August last year. Then medical/background. Firm offer came mid-Oct. Started FLETC the month after.

If you end up going to Glynco in the winter, be glad. Gnats suck once winter's over.

I'm going to get on a soapbox here:

Be excited, be focused. Have fun, but don't lose this opportunity over doing something stupid there.

The training is challenging. This profession is not for everyone. That's ok. Better to find out in training than in the middle of a warrant.

Keep in mind: You will be working for the IRS. You will work tax cases. Also keep in mind: you're law enforcement. You will have a badge, a gun, and be arresting subjects.

If you're not fit, get fit now. Start exercising. Can you run 1.5 miles without stopping? Without walking? How many push ups? How many sit ups? Pull ups? Can you do some kind of physical activity for any prolonged period of time without being out of breath? The ballistic vest is 15 pounds. Can you move wearing an extra 15 pounds? It might mean the difference between you or someone on your team going home to their family that night. Sure, running sucks. Getting dead sucks worse. If I'm in front of you in a warrant, can you keep up if something happens to me? If something goes sideways? Have I belabored this point enough yet?

And scene.

Take a car to FLETC.

Not trying to discourage anyone, I just want you all to be aware of the price of the badge.

Thank for the advice. Your inbox is full though
TXfed1811  
#243 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 9:44:07 AM(UTC)
TXfed1811

United States

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 12 post(s)
1st Year in Review:
I was hired in November 2018. External transfer, prior 1811, veteran.
SABT at FLETC (Glynco, GA).

Please listen to the advice the others have given; be able to run, to do push ups/sit ups, to engage in hand to hand combat. Also be able to be hyper-focused on what you are in training to do...to become an 1811 and a premier financial investigator. Prior IRS/tax knowledge is great, but they will teach you what you absolutely need to know. The physical stuff is all on you from day one.

Training is hard, this is the most challenging intellectual course at FLETC. But it is also about people-skills, problem solving and networking. Your instructors and fellow classmates are just the start of your professional and personal reputation in the Federal Law Enforcement realm. What you do and say will stick with you for the rest of your career. Make smart choices and when in doubt, shut up and don't do it.

Within 45 days of graduating, I had already done two undercover shops, two search warrants, an arrest warrant and a seizure warrant. When the instructors tell you to expect to hit the ground running, they mean it. You will be expected to figure out how to get a subject case investigation opened, on your own, within six months of graduating. You will be working Tax Admin cases as soon as you graduate. That is the Chief's focus right now. It is what it is. Master your craft and the "fun" non-tax cases will come. You may have the opportunity to sign up for additional duties as well. Ask for and accept any and all training offers and opportunities to participate in anyone's operations. Make yourself known as the eager beaver, willing to do the trash runs, or surveillance at 5am.

Have some fun...SOME. There is a ton to do in Savannah and Jacksonville and beyond. If you get a 3-4 day break due to the holidays, explore. Many of you will leave families at home, some of my classmates had tiny babies, others had toddlers and some had teens. Only you can decide if visits home will be productive and if they will benefit your family and you or cause your kids to have a meltdown when you leave again. Find places off campus that you can go to in order to decompress. Don't let your only adventures off campus be to Walmart, Target and the bars on SSI. Go to the gym or get a good, long run in on the weekends. The Pier on SSI leads to miles of sandy beach, during low tide (don't get caught when the tide comes back in though). Perfect for running/walking.

Find some good study buddies. We all have our own strengths and weaknesses. Use your strengths to help those around you and humble yourself to ask for help when you need it. The instructors are also there to help, but you have to be willing to ask for their assistance. If you screw up, acknowledge it, be humble, pick yourself up and move forward. This job is not for everyone. Some of you may not pass the exams, the physical requirements, firearms, or the mental strain of six months away from home. And that's okay. I can't stress enough how much a positive, inquisitive, supportive attitude will take you in this field. You are not an island and there is no "I" in team. This is an amazing organization to work for and you will meet some of the very best if you are lucky enough to make it into IRS-CI. Best of luck to you all!
thanks 1 user thanked TXfed1811 for this useful post.
mechanic2000 on 10/18/2019(UTC)
dubyac  
#244 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 7:12:55 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Jayman, inbox is emptied.

First year:

Active shooter response, arrest warrants, seizure warrants, surveillance, cover teams.

Most days are my own to schedule. Usually reviewing documents, determining what evidence I need, where to get said evidence, planning interviews. I've got my cases to juggle so if I'm waiting on stuff for one, I can work on the others. Then you have your collateral duties, administrative duties, training, your operations, helping other agencies on their operations. There's always something to do.

CITP is a great way to network with other agencies. Have fun. Don't do dumb things in sketchy places with stupid people at bad times. It feels like a college atmosphere, but remember you're there to be trained as a federal agent. FLETC will not hesitate to throw you out if you give them a good reason.

There are plenty of long days at FLETC. One of the longest was riding up the elevator to my room after a full day of tactics. Clothes were soaked in sweat, still wearing the ballistic vest, backpack, duty gear. Couldn't tell if I wanted a nap or a shower more. And we're stopping at every floor because no one wants to walk one flight of stairs. And listening to the newest TSA class complain about the food (when they're there for two weeks and you're on month five...). Laugh it off, shower, get a good dinner (off base).

Absolutely worth it.
thanks 1 user thanked dubyac for this useful post.
mechanic2000 on 10/18/2019(UTC)
Red  
#245 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 7:38:35 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Sounds like you guys are squared away, which I'm glad to hear. As I told my trainees, find a few good locals, feds, AUSAs you like to work with and you can make your own work. Especially in a POD. Almost like being self-employed. More-so than other agencies, the job is what you make it. I liked your comments about GLYNCO, or as it used to be known- the John Wayne School for Boys. Good Luck.
MrNeumann  
#246 Posted : Saturday, October 19, 2019 12:31:13 PM(UTC)
MrNeumann

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have been locked out of e-QIP. Does anyone know who I can contact about this? I contacted the person that sent me the e-QIP email and the general CincinnatiDEU email address but haven't received a response from either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
jh1987  
#247 Posted : Saturday, October 19, 2019 12:34:31 PM(UTC)
jh1987

United States

"Initial point of contact for account lockouts, challenge question resets, forgotten usernames,  and other technical support should be the local security or human resource official of your sponsoring organization/agency. This is often the person or office that directed you to log into e-QIP."

That is from the website...I would assume you are locked out until Monday and you can get in touch with them unless someone knows something different.
MrNeumann  
#248 Posted : Saturday, October 19, 2019 1:42:53 PM(UTC)
MrNeumann

Thanks for the reply. Yea that’s who I contacted. I wonder if I’ll be the first person to ever get eliminated due to failure to complete e-QIP!
jh1987  
#249 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2019 5:39:53 AM(UTC)
jh1987

United States

Originally Posted by: MrNeumann Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the reply. Yea that’s who I contacted. I wonder if I’ll be the first person to ever get eliminated due to failure to complete e-QIP!

Were you able to get it sorted out?
Cherokee24  
#250 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2019 10:46:18 AM(UTC)
Cherokee24

United States

Originally Posted by: jh1987 Go to Quoted Post
Anyone have any guess how long the wait is after medical? Finished that today, submitted background earlier this week along with drug testing.

jh1987, have you heard anything since you submitted all of your info and did you drug test?

jh1987  
#251 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2019 11:19:06 AM(UTC)
jh1987

United States

Haha..yeah I heard that the clinic I went to is dumb and missed half of the stuff they were supposed to do. So I had to reschedule the rest of it.

Edited by user Tuesday, October 22, 2019 11:20:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cherokee24  
#252 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2019 11:40:24 AM(UTC)
Cherokee24

United States

Haha..yeah I heard that the clinic I went to is dumb and missed half of the stuff they were supposed to do. So I had to reschedule the rest of it.

Was that for the extensive medical screening?
jh1987  
#253 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2019 2:13:38 PM(UTC)
jh1987

United States

Yes
Cherokee24  
#254 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2019 2:16:27 PM(UTC)
Cherokee24

United States

How do you screw up a to-do list? Impressive.
Kav1985  
#255 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2019 3:10:53 PM(UTC)
Kav1985

United States

The doc at my clinic tried to tell me I was too young for some of the stuff to applicable. I told him if it was on the list I needed it done. Hopefully everything was done up to snuff.
ressgonzol  
#256 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2019 3:21:00 PM(UTC)
ressgonzol

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Anybody get a class date yet?
MrNeumann  
#257 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2019 3:33:45 PM(UTC)
MrNeumann

Were you able to get it sorted out?

Yes I was. Thanks for asking! Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to sort out the salary cut and field office I was assigned to.

To those with prior federal service, if you are GS-12 or above make sure you get a job with the IRS before applying to this job.
9L81  
#258 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2019 6:26:17 PM(UTC)
9L81

United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I was a 12 and the first year was a wash for me. Made less while training and more once I was in the FO. Some of my classmates took massive pay cuts and several got raises. It shouldn't all be about the money.
MrNeumann  
#259 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2019 5:42:50 AM(UTC)
MrNeumann

Originally Posted by: 9L81 Go to Quoted Post
I was a 12 and the first year was a wash for me. Made less while training and more once I was in the FO. Some of my classmates took massive pay cuts and several got raises. It shouldn't all be about the money.

I agree for some people, but for me it is. I'd be going from GS-13 equivalent (60% chance ill be a GS-14 by April 2020) down to a GS-7 (no masters deg or exp.). Massive pay cut (30-45k) with two kids and my third field office preference.
ressgonzol  
#260 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2019 6:45:41 AM(UTC)
ressgonzol

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 9L81 Go to Quoted Post

I agree for some people, but for me it is. I'd be going from GS-13 equivalent (60% chance ill be a GS-14 by April 2020) down to a GS-7 (no masters deg or exp.). Massive pay cut (30-45k) with two kids and my third field office preference.

Why did you apply to a GS 7/9 position if you're not willing to take GS 7/9 pay? Why list a location you wouldn't take?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed