Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AVesquire  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2019 11:47:16 AM(UTC)
AVesquire

Groups: Registered
United States

I submitted my OF306 and went to get my fingerprints done within 24 hours of receiving my TO on 9/26. I only received the e-qip email a week later. Are you only asked to fill out the eqip (sf-85p) after they check your credit and fingerprints, or is it totally unrelated? I’ve read that there is no interim “clearance” granted for public trust positions with no clearance, but my hiring agency had mentioned how usually there’s an initial background check before you start, and a lengthier one that’s completed well after you start. However, they also thought that I’d get my final offer within 2 weeks max of the TO, which hasn’t happened. The internal security office told me that it’s hard to give an estimated time because they are experiencing a hiring surge.
It’s just confusing since the people hired 5-10 years ago seemed to have been given some sort of initial suitability determination within a week or two. I’m really hoping there is just a backlog vs. something I messed up on the form holding up my final offer.

Edited by user Thursday, October 17, 2019 11:49:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Exit7A  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 7:40:44 AM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AVesquire Go to Quoted Post
I submitted my OF306 and went to get my fingerprints done within 24 hours of receiving my TO on 9/26. I only received the e-qip email a week later. Are you only asked to fill out the eqip (sf-85p) after they check your credit and fingerprints, or is it totally unrelated? I’ve read that there is no interim “clearance” granted for public trust positions with no clearance, but my hiring agency had mentioned how usually there’s an initial background check before you start, and a lengthier one that’s completed well after you start. However, they also thought that I’d get my final offer within 2 weeks max of the TO, which hasn’t happened. The internal security office told me that it’s hard to give an estimated time because they are experiencing a hiring surge.
It’s just confusing since the people hired 5-10 years ago seemed to have been given some sort of initial suitability determination within a week or two. I’m really hoping there is just a backlog vs. something I messed up on the form holding up my final offer.

Question 1: Finger and credit check are the start of any investigation as those are the easiest to obtain.

I've seen a Tier 1 Public Trust take anywhere from 4 weeks to 12 weeks to complete (depends on person and their history). Seems you are getting a Tier 2 Moderate Risk Public Trust, which means your times will increase. Remember there are basically two phases to getting any clearance: investigation and adjudication (ie determination). The investigation part may be relatively quick but may get held up in adjudication (depends on work load).

Good luck.
That's all I got to say about that.
AVesquire  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2019 10:12:27 AM(UTC)
AVesquire

United States

Thank you for the reply. Have you heard how long it takes just for the initial suitability determination vs. the public trust process? It’s going on 4 weeks now, and most people who had any red flags raised by their OF 306 seemed to have been contacted for a LOI or clarification within a few weeks of submission. I’ve checked my credit report (which shows soft pulls) and it doesn’t look like my credit has even been checked.
FrankJr  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2019 10:05:12 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 107 post(s)
No predetermined timeline one way or another. The public trust background check process is a "short" process to get you in the door and a "long" process to keep you in the door. The short process is 2-12 weeks. The long process is 2-12 months. Endless examples on the new hire timeline post. The fed hiring process is a "don't call us, we'll call you" process. Little value in contacting to determine the status. The federal hiring process is neither efficient nor effective.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed