Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

85 Pages«<82838485>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tactguy392  
#1661 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2019 11:05:28 AM(UTC)
Tactguy392

Groups: Registered
United States

Mine was at security component before it moved to the SA pre Quantico PFT. I’m mostly curious if my portal will tell me when I get adjudicated.
Brooklynrg  
#1662 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2019 11:25:19 AM(UTC)
Brooklynrg

United States

Hi All!

Taking the phase 1 text soon, and I’ve been attempting to find some good resources to prepare. I’ve already looked through the sample questions on the FBI website, and I’m an attorney so I’ve studied for/been through the LSAT logical reasoning (which I honestly didn’t do much studying for). For all those that have taken is this something you suggest spending a decent amount of time in preparation for and/or know of any good prep sites/guides/books? Thank you!!!
BuckLou  
#1663 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2019 3:24:57 PM(UTC)
BuckLou

United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dmiller23462 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Ratigan Go to Quoted Post
I don’t think mine ever said “SA Pre Quantico PFT.” IIRC it went straight from “Conditional Offer to “Security Component.”

Mine too.

Same.
App - 12/18
P1 - 12/18
M&G - 1/19
P2 -3/19
PFT - 5/19
PSI - 5/19
Poly - 6/19
Medical - 7/19
BI - Pending
LadySA2018  
#1664 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2019 5:53:22 PM(UTC)
LadySA2018

United States

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tactguy392 Go to Quoted Post
Mine was at security component before it moved to the SA pre Quantico PFT. I’m mostly curious if my portal will tell me when I get adjudicated.

No, it will not tell you if you are adjudicated. People only know if their AC or someone tells them.

Also, yes most of the PFT is outside. Situps, pushups, and pullups were done inside. You will take and pass 2 at Quantico. One in your first week, and one about halfway through.
App for SA: 10/31/17
BI started: 4/30/18
Pre Q PFT: 9/6/19
Q: 10/27/19
thanks 2 users thanked LadySA2018 for this useful post.
Ratigan on 11/6/2019(UTC), BuckLou on 11/6/2019(UTC)
trek123  
#1665 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2019 7:46:24 PM(UTC)
trek123

Really apologize for asking this because I'm sure it's been answered before, but there are just so many pages and threads.

I had last taken the Phase 1 test and I found it to be very difficult (this was in 2016). I received a few emails from FBI support to reapply as a new test process came out, and I looked at the guide and the questions seem to be much easier.

Keeping NDA in mind, just wondering was the Phase 1 test difficulty reduced or is the guide just an example?

Edited by user Tuesday, November 5, 2019 7:47:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

boilercfi  
#1666 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 4:32:50 AM(UTC)
boilercfi

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Brooklynrg Go to Quoted Post
Hi All!

Taking the phase 1 text soon, and I’ve been attempting to find some good resources to prepare. I’ve already looked through the sample questions on the FBI website, and I’m an attorney so I’ve studied for/been through the LSAT logical reasoning (which I honestly didn’t do much studying for). For all those that have taken is this something you suggest spending a decent amount of time in preparation for and/or know of any good prep sites/guides/books? Thank you!!!

The FBI study guide is very helpful. I used the guide to study for the Phase I test and felt well prepared.
Carbon_Made  
#1667 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 6:56:00 AM(UTC)
Carbon_Made

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: trek123 Go to Quoted Post
Really apologize for asking this because I'm sure it's been answered before, but there are just so many pages and threads.

I had last taken the Phase 1 test and I found it to be very difficult (this was in 2016). I received a few emails from FBI support to reapply as a new test process came out, and I looked at the guide and the questions seem to be much easier.

Keeping NDA in mind, just wondering was the Phase 1 test difficulty reduced or is the guide just an example?

Since this question seems to be popping up a lot recently, I would just like to say that the FBI Study Guide they provide was more than efficient to prepare yourself for Phase 1, like many others have stated. If you're still having trouble with some of the questions in the guide and want to prep a bit more, google "figural reasoning tests." I looked at a couple of these before I went to take the Phase 1 test and felt confident I was going to pass when test day finally arrived. I know it's easy to overthink a lot of these questions, but staying level headed and not going down that rabbit hole is definitely the key to success.
Application: 7/20/19
Phase 1 Test: 8/17/19
M&G: 9/25/19
Ranking: 10/30/19
Pilot PFT: 11/15/2019 - PASSED
professormac13  
#1668 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2019 4:13:22 AM(UTC)
professormac13

United States

Originally Posted by: Tpr6701 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Dzt Go to Quoted Post
At what point during the process did people put their two weeks notice in with their employer?

The post above for example, giving 3 days to report to Q wouldn't be sufficient amount of time

As long as you keep your employer in the loop and tell them that it could be a last minute call, you are just waiting for the final confirmation, they should understand. I personally fully packed my apartment, got a storage unit, etc, got all my equipment issued by my employer piled up and accounted for, ready to be turned in just In case I received a last minute call. I also told my employer that I am ready to turn everything in in an event I get this call so be ready. If I don’t, well I don’t and I am here. They were like that’s fair enough.

I have a question. I'm currently a professor at a university and under a contract until May. It's like this every year. My questions are, it would be extremely difficult to just up and leave. Given I will be applying soon, how can this be handled if I am accepted? Is this something I should discuss when I apply?

Also, how do you handle it when they call your current supervisor (My dean) for the BI and you know it's going cause issues?

Edited by user Thursday, November 7, 2019 4:14:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: subscribed to this thread

RetiredArmy2019  
#1669 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2019 6:36:32 AM(UTC)
RetiredArmy2019

United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: professormac13 Go to Quoted Post
At what point during the process did people put their two weeks notice in with their employer?

The post above for example, giving 3 days to report to Q wouldn't be sufficient amount of time

As long as you keep your employer in the loop and tell them that it could be a last minute call, you are just waiting for the final confirmation, they should understand. I personally fully packed my apartment, got a storage unit, etc, got all my equipment issued by my employer piled up and accounted for, ready to be turned in just In case I received a last minute call. I also told my employer that I am ready to turn everything in in an event I get this call so be ready. If I don’t, well I don’t and I am here. They were like that’s fair enough.

I have a question. I'm currently a professor at a university and under a contract until May. It's like this every year. My questions are, it would be extremely difficult to just up and leave. Given I will be applying soon, how can this be handled if I am accepted? Is this something I should discuss when I apply?

Also, how do you handle it when they call your current supervisor (My dean) for the BI and you know it's going cause issues?

Ask yourself this question. As a professor, if there was an opportunity for you to go to another university become a dean, how would you handle it? I ask that question because I would have to imagine that your boss, the dean, would have to be happy for you to chase the opportunity considering he/she were likely in that position once upon a time. There's no such thing as good timing. All you can do is provide them with awareness of the process and the timeline it would potentially take. From there you would provide them consistent feedback so they're continuously aware of the timeline and the fact that you could leave at any given time. It's up to them to ensure the position is filled. You have to make them comfortable in knowing that just because you're undergoing the process, there's no guarantee you get in.

App: 7/25
Phase I: 8/9
M&G: 8/21
Phase II(W): 9/4
Phase II(I): 10/21
PFT: 11/13

professormac13  
#1670 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2019 7:21:06 AM(UTC)
professormac13

United States

Originally Posted by: RetiredArmy2019 Go to Quoted Post

Ask yourself this question. As a professor, if there was an opportunity for you to go to another university become a dean, how would you handle it? I ask that question because I would have to imagine that your boss, the dean, would have to be happy for you to chase the opportunity considering he/she were likely in that position once upon a time. There's no such thing as good timing. All you can do is provide them with awareness of the process and the timeline it would potentially take. From there you would provide them consistent feedback so they're continuously aware of the timeline and the fact that you could leave at any given time. It's up to them to ensure the position is filled. You have to make them comfortable in knowing that just because you're undergoing the process, there's no guarantee you get in.

Thanks for your advice. My biggest concern is that this is a small southern university and whenever anyone leaves, their work life becomes hell. I've seen it happen twice. That's why I don't want to say anything at all unless it's almost certain I would be leaving. I agree with you, they should be happy, but they wouldn't.

The other issue is the fact that I am under contract until May and have to sign the contract for the next year in May. This is the situation I'm most concerned about. I'd hate to sign the contract in May because I won't know anything yet and then come September they say, "you're going in October." That would leave the school high and dry but also set me up for being sued for a breach of contract.

I know this is WAYYY premature, but I didn't know if the contract issue should be brought up immediately or if I should try to time my application differently.
RetiredArmy2019  
#1671 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2019 7:54:37 AM(UTC)
RetiredArmy2019

United States

Thanks for your advice. My biggest concern is that this is a small southern university and whenever anyone leaves, their work life becomes hell. I've seen it happen twice. That's why I don't want to say anything at all unless it's almost certain I would be leaving. I agree with you, they should be happy, but they wouldn't.

The other issue is the fact that I am under contract until May and have to sign the contract for the next year in May. This is the situation I'm most concerned about. I'd hate to sign the contract in May because I won't know anything yet and then come September they say, "you're going in October." That would leave the school high and dry but also set me up for being sued for a breach of contract.

I know this is WAYYY premature, but I didn't know if the contract issue should be brought up immediately or if I should try to time my application differently.

If they get that dramatic and could act that way, you're probably working at the wrong university anyway and probably best you didn't work there. That's my opinion so obviously there's no alignment between your wanting to be there. Apply to the FBI if that's what you want to do. As you move into the Spring semester and see how the process is progressing, let your boss know that you've applied for the FBI and give him/her an indication of what the timeline could be. They could either agree with you to change up the contract in May to be beneficial to you both, or say they don't want to bother with it. If they say they won't bother with it, it gives you time to seek employment after the contract is up in May and it gives them time to fill the position and not be left "high and dry" as you indicated.

I interviewed for a city government job yesterday and asked them if there was an opportunity to grow into and out of the position or if there was an expectation that I stay there the next 10-15-20 years. They indicated all the opportunities within city government and said the sky was the limit. They further indicated they're looking for the best possible to candidate to fill the position, which means if they're shooting for the best, they have to expect that individual will leave at some point in an effort to grow professionally. Obviously there's no contractual obligation there; however, it goes to show the mentality that should be had when talking to your boss about other opportunities. If you have these concerns, you'd better tell them sooner rather than later so there's time to look for alternate employment if it comes down to it.

Zoodle  
#1672 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2019 8:07:40 AM(UTC)
Zoodle

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

I work in a political office as a federal employee, but am at-will, I can be fired for any reason at any time, so I too have had to be strategic about how I communicate with my employer. I know the process can be anywhere from 6 months to 2 years, so I didn't tell anyone anything until it got to the point of the FBI conducting reference checks for my background investigation (in my case, that was 4 months ago - almost 11 months after I first applied, and 3 months after I actually gave the FBI the names and contact info of my references). When it came time for me to warn my employer someone might be stopping by or calling to ask about me, I just said, "I'm just letting you know I'm being vetted for a possible federal appointment, no idea whether or not I have a snowball's chance in hell of being selected, but I'll keep you informed if I hear anything." They don't need to anything about the other dozens of steps in between, bits of additional info, etc.

I'd just apply as soon as you're ready, because you don't know how long it'll take. Nothing is certain until you get the phone call verifying your class date.

As for contract concerns when it comes up late next spring/summer, I'd simply ask if you're allowed to specify in your contact a clause regarding "Agree to mutual dissolution of employment contract in the event John Doe receives and accepts an appointment as an officer of the U.S. Federal Government". It's quite common in higher education as professors, researchers, etc. are always getting tapped for positions in federal offices, etc. Just clarify to your dean you're not "expecting" to get selected, but in the event you are, you'd like to be able to accept.

Plus - keep in mind - university professors getting selected for higher offices looks good on the university.
professormac13  
#1673 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2019 10:11:01 AM(UTC)
professormac13

United States

Thank you everyone for the advice. I greatly appreciate it!
Cait0720  
#1674 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2019 2:22:15 PM(UTC)
Cait0720

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Has anyone who recently had a "processing date" change heard anything new? Mine was updated on 10/15 for the first time since April. As far as I know, I'm still in the BI stage. No status change in the FBIJobs portal, just the date, and nothing helpful from my AC. Just curious if anyone else is in a similar situation.
-Applied: 10/2018
-P1: 12/2018
-P2: 01/2019
-P3: 04/2019
-CJO: 04/2019
-PI/Poly: 05/2019
-BI: Ongoing
CLARK5  
#1675 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2019 2:49:32 PM(UTC)
CLARK5

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

This is just a personal opinion as I taught in a university as well, but I would not mention it to the university when you apply....this can be a long process. I would wait until you fill out your SF-86 or a little further into BI before mentioning it. In the meantime I would just try to be cognizant and not take on any long-term leadership responsibilities like accepting doctorate or honors student mentees, large research projects etc. if possible
APP 5/3/19
PI 5/11/19
MG 6/19/19
PFT 6/26/19
PII(W) 6/28/19
PII (I)8/27/19
COA 9/6/19
PSI 10/2/19
POLY 10/23/19
Dune-8  
#1676 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2019 3:11:23 PM(UTC)
Dune-8

United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cait0720 Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone who recently had a "processing date" change heard anything new?

Nope, crickets. Just gotta wait until 'the call' comes at this point...whenever that might be! When I applied, I circled Jan '20 as the first realistic Q class that I could make if everything went smoothly, so still hoping for good news in advance of the new year.

If I could add my take. I would also recommend holding off telling them until you absolutely have to - i.e. you're being asked to provide contacts - because there are so many potential points of failure throughout the entire hiring process. As such, it makes no sense to tip your hand any earlier about your interest in working for the Bureau.

Edited by user Thursday, November 7, 2019 3:21:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Additional Content

professormac13  
#1677 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2019 3:50:37 AM(UTC)
professormac13

United States

Clark5, I tried to respond but it says your inbox is full. Lol.
Borqman1993  
#1678 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2019 6:22:32 AM(UTC)
Borqman1993

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I'm sure after some long searching I could find this, but I figured I'd ask. What months have Q classes? Thanks in advance.
App 7/15
P1 Inv 7/30
P1 Test 8/7 - Passed
M&G - 9/25
RetiredArmy2019  
#1679 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2019 10:46:58 AM(UTC)
RetiredArmy2019

United States

Originally Posted by: Borqman1993 Go to Quoted Post
I'm sure after some long searching I could find this, but I figured I'd ask. What months have Q classes? Thanks in advance.

Typically January, March, May, July, and September. Appears for FY20 they had one start in October, which would give six for FY20 as opposed to the normal five.

thanks 1 user thanked RetiredArmy2019 for this useful post.
Borqman1993 on 11/8/2019(UTC)
trek123  
#1680 Posted : Saturday, November 9, 2019 1:07:48 AM(UTC)
trek123

Just passed Phase 1 exam. Really excited to continue with the process.

Have a question regarding the fitness exam for sit ups: do you just have elbows touch mid thigh or you have to break the vertical plane?

the How to apply guide says: Candidate raises upper body until the elbows touch mid-thigh
Testing overview guide says: Trainee raises upper body until the base of the neck is in line with the base of the spine (back is perpendicular
to the floor)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed