Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Myla  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2019 7:25:52 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

My experience with the staff of USPS was positive leading up to the day of my Road Test. To be fair, was doing ok and then lost all confidence. I am responsible for my failure. However, to a certain facilitator, I wish to say, please try to not yell or give unkind stares to a person who is trying to obtain employment and is nervous enough about passing. I can only imagine how daunting it is teaching the same skills over & over. Maybe when you get frustrated with a student, stop everything, briefly speak with them about what they are not doing correctly (in a more than tolerant tone) and move on. It will only serve you both in a positive way.
Hannah Blecter  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2019 9:01:04 AM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

Was thanked: 1235 time(s) in 844 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Myla Go to Quoted Post
My experience with the staff of USPS was positive leading up to the day of my Road Test. To be fair, was doing ok and then lost all confidence. I am responsible for my failure. However, to a certain facilitator, I wish to say, please try to not yell or give unkind stares to a person who is trying to obtain employment and is nervous enough about passing. I can only imagine how daunting it is teaching the same skills over & over. Maybe when you get frustrated with a student, stop everything, briefly speak with them about what they are not doing correctly (in a more than tolerant tone) and move on. It will only serve you both in a positive way.

Speaking of "positive", don't ever regret not becoming a CCA. There is a reason why management had to lower the standards to get and keep the job. Only 1/3 were staying. I am thrilled for you.

As for the "facilitator", many persons who work at the District level and many driving instructors are failed craft workers. It is truly a case of "if you can't do, teach". A big problem throughout the USPS is that some of those in management delude themselves into thinking all their previous coworkers are crazy when they report how inept, lazy, and probably unintelligent these managers were as craft employees. And now as managers they think they were anointed by God and were promoted because of their KSAs. They are kinda right. But they think KSA stands for Knowledge, Skills, and Ability. But it more often stands for Kissing Someone's Azz.

New workers think those they meet as the face of the USPS are the best and the brightest. It doesn't work that way in the USPS. Long-time USPS employees can tell you the kind of clowns you are dealing with as a new employee. We probably worked with them before they got shipped off (or promoted) due to their ineptitude.
Myla  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2019 9:52:38 AM(UTC)

Thank you so much for your response...it certainly helps soften the blow. Throughout the hiring process, tried to read, view reviews of employment as a CCA. Unfortunately, most of the reviews were negative but, was going to give it a try. Now, living with the adage "Everything happens for a reason". Kind regards.
pw75  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2019 10:14:26 AM(UTC)
pw75

United States

Originally Posted by: Hannah Blecter Go to Quoted Post

As for the "facilitator", many persons who work at the District level and many driving instructors are failed craft workers. It is truly a case of "if you can't do, teach".

Um..... you do realize the "facilitator" is also a craft employee, right Hannah?
pw75  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2019 10:16:50 AM(UTC)
pw75

United States

And Myla, you should know you do have the right to take the training again if you choose to. This is your choice, not your office or the trainer.

PW
Hannah Blecter  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2019 12:09:28 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

Originally Posted by: pw75 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Hannah Blecter Go to Quoted Post

As for the "facilitator", many persons who work at the District level and many driving instructors are failed craft workers. It is truly a case of "if you can't do, teach".

Um..... you do realize the "facilitator" is also a craft employee, right Hannah?

I put facilitator in quotes because I was quoting the OP. I was not clear exactly what the "facilitator" was. It seemed it was someone who was involved in teaching new employees. Since the OP was doing a road test, I thought it was someone at the office which hires, trains/teaches, and sorts out new hires. As you will see I referred to "many persons who work at the District level and many driving instructors are failed craft workers". There are failed craft workers still in craft, whether in local offices or on detail (or whatever) as selected by the District office. If they are at the District Office they would rub shoulders with failed craft workers who are now in management. In my area the District office is at a processing center and the road tests are based out of there, with craft employees on detail being involved.

You don't know much about the USPS or your job until you get well past the point where the OP was. I personally know many representatives of the District who speak glowingly of the USPS while taking part in the terrible mismanagement of and abuse of craft workers (and even eas employees). Such persons should be ashamed of themselves, as should my local PM who tells prospective CCAs that we are like a family. I guess that could be true if you are from an abusive family. He is the reason so many of our CCAs quit. It is amusing to see the facade the USPS presents to new hires.

As far as the gist of my comments to the OP, I was either a PM or a PM secretary for 17 years and I was also a D.I.E. My comments are rooted in lots of experience, observations, and the many fellow employees who seek my advice. Such employees add to my perspective as they spill their guts to me. However, I now live and work far from the District Office or any processing centers (though my first bid job was as a Senior Mail Processor--many years ago). My times at such places were only transitory as a manager or trainer.

I like to learn, so if you would provide me with more details about what a "facilitator" does, I would be grateful. Do they only work with new hires? Are they selected for the position or do they bid on the job?

Thank you.

Edited by user Friday, November 8, 2019 12:16:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Hannah Blecter  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2019 12:27:05 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

Originally Posted by: pw75 Go to Quoted Post

And Myla, you should know you do have the right to take the training again if you choose to. This is your choice, not your office or the trainer.

PW

We had a PSE who could not pass a window test. Repeatedly. So they gave her a verbal test, which means they passed her despite her aptitude.

If the OP would give more details about how exactly they failed, perhaps they could get some good advice if they were able to retake whatever training or test they failed. I gave my general pep-talk that I have given many times to employees who are crying or depressed because they feel they cannot continue as a CCA (the most common job in which I see disillusionment). Too many CCAs leave (even after making regular) for anyone to feel like a failure because they don't make it. And too many postal employees regret staying until they felt they were stuck with a career for anyone to envy a career postal worker (especially with the current terms of and future of USPS employment for new hires) But the OP did not say for what job they were hired or exactly how they failed.

roger.d  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2019 4:26:19 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 764 time(s) in 596 post(s)
I know of 2 driver instructors that will pass a new hire to the other if they fail them.

They are about 2 hours away from each other.
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
Hannah Blecter  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2019 5:13:27 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

And now I see it says CCA in the title. Having been a D.I.E., I recognized the dickness of one in our District. I believe he was an injured carrier who now viewed himself as the gatekeeper to the USPS. And some trainers have a better success rate than others. Such an important job should be given to the most qualified, not the person you most want to give hours outside their normal job. I am 100% in favor of providing work for injured workers. But why take it out on new hires or others needing to be qualified to drive a vehicle for the company?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed