Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability (Rehabilitation Act)

Post your thoughts and opinions here about disability-related news topics. Members can exchange their experiences and information so to help others navigate the different programs and services available.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hank6285  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2019 10:11:02 AM(UTC)
Hank6285

Groups: Registered

Does the Time In Grade requirements apply when applying for a job that is open competitively, Also Open to Schedule A applicants and is also a Merit Promotion announcement? If time in grade DOES NOT apply, where can I find these rules/requirements?
Thanks for the help in advance!
TheRealOrange  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2019 4:10:28 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 121 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hank6285 Go to Quoted Post
Does the Time In Grade requirements apply when applying for a job that is open competitively, Also Open to Schedule A applicants and is also a Merit Promotion announcement? If time in grade DOES NOT apply, where can I find these rules/requirements?
Thanks for the help in advance!

According to 5 CFR § 300.603, time-in-grade "applies to advancement to a General Schedule position in the competitive service by any individual who within the previous 52 weeks held a General Schedule position under nontemporary appointment in the competitive or excepted service in the executive branch, unless excluded by paragraph (b) of this section." Paragraph b provides that appointment based on selection from a competitive examination register of eligibles or under a direct hire authority, and noncompetitive appointment based on a special authority in law or Executive order (but not including transfer and reinstatement) made in accordance with all requirements applicable to new appointments under that authority," are excluded. Therefore, it is my understanding that time-in-grade does not apply to excepted service appointments based on the Schedule A appointment authority. Further, Federal register information I have seen indicates that the time-in-grade restriction does not apply to any excepted service GS employees, although individual agencies can, at their discretion, require time-in-grade for their excepted service employees.
Hank6285  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2019 5:02:22 AM(UTC)
Hank6285

Update.
I applied for a position at my own agency.. I received my NOR. I was told I didn’t meet the time in grade. I then emailed HR and told them that time in grade doesn’t apply to disability candidates. (Sad I have to tell HR the rules and regulations). I received an email back stating I was correct, time in grade does not apply. So, the easy way out for HR was just to follow up stating that I wasn’t qualified anyway. I’ve only been doing the EXACT same work for 10+++++++ years at the exact same agency.
TheRealOrange  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2019 7:40:12 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 121 post(s)
Update.
I applied for a position at my own agency.. I received my NOR. I was told I didn’t meet the time in grade. I then emailed HR and told them that time in grade doesn’t apply to disability candidates. (Sad I have to tell HR the rules and regulations). I received an email back stating I was correct, time in grade does not apply. So, the easy way out for HR was just to follow up stating that I wasn’t qualified anyway. I’ve only been doing the EXACT same work for 10+++++++ years at the exact same agency.

If you are using the Schedule A hiring authority as an internal candidate, for instance to obtain a promotion, you need to keep in mind that the hiring does not come without some risk. If hired under Schedule A based on disability, you will be placed into the Excepted Service, generally for two years (probationary period), to determine if you are able to satisfactorily perform. If you are performing successfully in the new job, then you may be converted to the Competitive Service. That said, agencies are not required to convert Schedule A hires into the Competitive Service at the end of the two-year period required for noncompetitive conversion, but they are strongly urged to make the conversion. If your performance is not satisfactory, your appointment to the Excepted Service would be terminated and you would be out of a job. That may not be an issue for you, but it often is a valid consideration.
Hank6285  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 15, 2019 5:25:37 PM(UTC)
Hank6285

Very good advice. However, I’ve doing the job for 10+ years with above average performance appraisals year after year, so that’s not a concern of mine. The concern is originally being rated unfairly because HR doesn’t know the rules & regulations. So, again, the easy way out was then to say I wasn’t qualified to avoid any other conflicts.
FrankJr  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 15, 2019 8:27:54 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 107 post(s)
Very good advice. However, I’ve doing the job for 10+ years with above average performance appraisals year after year, so that’s not a concern of mine. The concern is originally being rated unfairly because HR doesn’t know the rules & regulations. So, again, the easy way out was then to say I wasn’t qualified to avoid any other conflicts.

There is no "however". The two year "trial period" is a two year probation period and you can be walked out of the door without any justification whatsoever. Performance isn't a factor for individuals on probation. During the probation you are not protected by the union, additionally.

And going to war with HR isn't going to help.
Hank6285  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 15, 2019 9:03:28 PM(UTC)
Hank6285

Exactly ! Rigged
Unknown User  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2019 9:31:21 AM(UTC)
Unknown User

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I think the best case is to contact the agency Selective Placement Program Coordinator (SPPC), and they will review your application for the position. If found qualified, they will email your resume outside of USAJobs to the selecting official.

frankgonzalez  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2019 5:44:05 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 995 time(s) in 792 post(s)
Update.
Can't have been doing the "EXACT same work" if they are different grades (especially if they are more than one grade apart from GS11 on up), and if you do not have any experience outside of your federal employment, then you are not qualified.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed