Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

26 Pages«<1718192021>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
newguy724  
#361 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 11:39:15 AM(UTC)
newguy724

Groups: Registered

Hello again.
So I didn't qualify the last time around back when I applied in March. I just applied to the most recent announcement that was posted a few days ago. Here's to hoping that I can qualify this time around. Does anyone have any advice on how best to prepare for FLETC and the physical fitness aspect. I consider myself to be in shape but was just wondering if there is anything in particular that I can add to a fitness program to help me succeed with that aspect of training. Also, does anyone know a CITP pass percentage as far as how many make it into CITP and how many actually graduate?
newguy724  
#362 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 11:47:56 AM(UTC)
newguy724

I also have a question regarding the security clearance for this position. There was another question posed but im not sure if it was answered. This new posting say Top Secret clearance, the posting from February said other, public trust. Is a Top Secret clearance now required for the IRS CI Special Agent position?
JayMan06  
#363 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 11:53:53 AM(UTC)
JayMan06

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: newguy724 Go to Quoted Post
Hello again.
So I didn't qualify the last time around back when I applied in March. I just applied to the most recent announcement that was posted a few days ago. Here's to hoping that I can qualify this time around. Does anyone have any advice on how best to prepare for FLETC and the physical fitness aspect. I consider myself to be in shape but was just wondering if there is anything in particular that I can add to a fitness program to help me succeed with that aspect of training. Also, does anyone know a CITP pass percentage as far as how many make it into CITP and how many actually graduate?

I've been told there is no specific benchmark for passing/failing, however you should be able to run 1.5 miles without stopping and should work on pushups and other calisthenics.
Cherokee24  
#364 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 12:32:55 PM(UTC)
Cherokee24

United States

Anyone going to FLETC next week know if we get any time off for Christmas other than Christmas Day?
jlsejreji  
#365 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 1:52:17 PM(UTC)
jlsejreji

Originally Posted by: 9L81 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: CityUSA Go to Quoted Post
Being that they posted a new announcement, is it safe to say that they’re not considering anyone else that interviewed within the last 2 months?

Would they update USAJOBS as not considered/selected?

Probably moved on. I know my FO has.

So, if someone never heard back after interviewing at a particular FO, I'm guessing it would probably be in their best interest to not make that FO their #1 location preference when reapplying?
professorx  
#366 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 4:24:27 PM(UTC)
professorx

United States

Originally Posted by: AnotherLawyer Go to Quoted Post
I'm currently a local prosecutor looking to switch to an 1811 position. Already applied to Postal and FBI. I specialize in fraud cases, including tax fraud at the state level. However, I don't have any formal education in tax or accounting. Just my JD and on the job fraud prosecution experience (and a CFE certification.

In reading the new announcement, it looks like I would qualify for the GL-07 level, but not the 09 level. My question is does anyone with zero formal accounting education ever get hired as an IRS-CI? I suppose it's technically possible based on the minimum qualifications, but I'm curious if anyone knows if it is realistic.

It's not hard to apply so I might as well - just looking for input on my background.

A JD qualifies for GS-9.

Originally Posted by: IRSSpecialAgent_1Day Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ressgonzol Go to Quoted Post
I'm currently a local prosecutor looking to switch to an 1811 position. Already applied to Postal and FBI. I specialize in fraud cases, including tax fraud at the state level. However, I don't have any formal education in tax or accounting. Just my JD and on the job fraud prosecution experience (and a CFE certification.

In reading the new announcement, it looks like I would qualify for the GL-07 level, but not the 09 level. My question is does anyone with zero formal accounting education ever get hired as an IRS-CI? I suppose it's technically possible based on the minimum qualifications, but I'm curious if anyone knows if it is realistic.

It's not hard to apply so I might as well - just looking for input on my background.

You must have the accounting credits.

One person in my class had 0 accounting credits but did have actual work experience investigating tax fraud on the state level and even worked a couple cases with IRS-CI. It’s possible but IRS is very picky about it.

If I were you, I would take some accounting classes. Apply anyway but definitely highlight your experience working tax fraud cases.

Would you take courses and then apply, or apply and take the courses while you are in the process? I work full time, so classes would have to be nights/weekends.

You can take accounting classes online.
dubyac  
#367 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 4:33:59 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: newguy724 Go to Quoted Post
Hello again.

Everyone in my class made it through CITP. Generally the IRS-CI students can handle the academics well, and struggle with the physical/enforcement aspects. This isn't rocket surgery, right? The other half of my CITP class was Secret Service. They tended to struggle a bit more with academics, but guess what? They could smoke us in the matroom. They're all former street cops or military usually. You know who doesn't make it through CITP? People who make poor choices off base.

This isn't BUD/S, this isn't the Green Berets. This is basic law enforcement training. You're going to learn absolute rock bottom basics and build up on that. You're not expected to be an olympic level athlete. That being said, you better be able to hold your own.

I harp on this over, and over, and over: This is a LAW ENFORCEMENT JOB. Your level of fitness might determine if you get to go home, or, selfishly speaking, if I get to go home. Have that mindset when your training: your life will depend on your level of fitness. Just because we investigate the tax code does not mean the subjects we have are not dangerous.

That being said, my advice: the FBI has a pdf guide on training for their PFT. It's similar enough to what you do in FLETC. Google that and train for it. Or look up the FLETC PEB standards and train for it. Consistency is more important than your training program.

dubyac  
#368 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 4:35:17 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Originally Posted by: Cherokee24 Go to Quoted Post
Anyone going to FLETC next week know if we get any time off for Christmas other than Christmas Day?

If I remember correctly we had Christmas Eve off. New Years Day too. That was it.

dubyac  
#369 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 4:41:22 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

I know of two agents who had no prior formal accounting education. One was a lateral from another federal agency and another was an analyst from a state agency.

Fed0512  
#370 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 6:18:56 PM(UTC)
Fed0512

United States

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
In the application questionnaire, does anyone know which answer is preferred? I have both

Successfully completed at least 24 semester credits hours of accounting or

Successfully completed at least 15 semester credits hours of accounting, and 9 semester hours from among the following: finance, economics, business law, tax law, money, and/or statistics
9L81  
#371 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 7:08:04 PM(UTC)
9L81

United States

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jlsejreji Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: 9L81 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: CityUSA Go to Quoted Post
Being that they posted a new announcement, is it safe to say that they’re not considering anyone else that interviewed within the last 2 months?

Would they update USAJOBS as not considered/selected?

Probably moved on. I know my FO has.

So, if someone never heard back after interviewing at a particular FO, I'm guessing it would probably be in their best interest to not make that FO their #1 location preference when reapplying?

Not necessarily but if you are open to working somewhere else then apply there too. I don't know if the new announcement is letting people rank field offices or PODs or just pick a specific number in order.

How far did you make it in the process before not hearing anything? Have you tried to see where you stand with that office? Maybe a document requested was not received or something simple like that.
trek123  
#372 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 9:19:22 PM(UTC)
trek123

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: feds101 Go to Quoted Post
In the application questionnaire, does anyone know which answer is preferred? I have both

Successfully completed at least 24 semester credits hours of accounting or

Successfully completed at least 15 semester credits hours of accounting, and 9 semester hours from among the following: finance, economics, business law, tax law, money, and/or statistics

I asked this question too but I think the answer for either choice is fine. They will qualify you for being having 24 accounting semester hours (most likely accounting majors) or also qualified you if you had 15 accounting hours (accounting miniors) but having the additional 9 business hours
thanks 1 user thanked trek123 for this useful post.
Fed0512 on 11/26/2019(UTC)
HIsa  
#373 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2019 9:26:11 AM(UTC)
HIsa

United States

Does anyone know if you previously attended quantico if you have to go through CITP or could you just do the 16 week CI specialized training?
SA1Day  
#374 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2019 11:24:53 AM(UTC)
SA1Day

Can anyone tell me exactly what is included in the medical exam? I'm having trouble finding this information anywhere online. Thanks!
passwordistaco  
#375 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2019 6:25:58 PM(UTC)
passwordistaco

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SA1Day Go to Quoted Post
Can anyone tell me exactly what is included in the medical exam? I'm having trouble finding this information anywhere online. Thanks!

Eye exam, hearing test, EKG, labs, basic physical, medical history review. Nothing too crazy.
thanks 1 user thanked passwordistaco for this useful post.
SA1Day on 11/27/2019(UTC)
trek123  
#376 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2019 9:48:36 PM(UTC)
trek123

You are going to have a lot of trouble as a SA if you had trouble finding that information. The first thing on the job announcement listed under REQUIREMENTS answers that question.
SA1Day  
#377 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 1:22:06 AM(UTC)
SA1Day

Originally Posted by: trek123 Go to Quoted Post

You are going to have a lot of trouble as a SA if you had trouble finding that information. The first thing on the job announcement listed under REQUIREMENTS answers that question.

Of course I've seen that information. It lists vision, hearing, and "other medical requirements" without detailing what the "other" requirements actually are. I was asking for more specific information, hence the word "exactly" in my previous post. A lesser man than me would probably tell you that you are going to have a lot of trouble as a SA, given your lack of reading comprehension. I, on the other hand, am choosing the high road, despite your snarky response. Best of luck to you in the process!

Originally Posted by: passwordistaco Go to Quoted Post

Eye exam, hearing test, EKG, labs, basic physical, medical history review. Nothing too crazy.

Thank you for this information!

Edited by user Wednesday, November 27, 2019 5:45:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

trek123  
#378 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2019 1:35:05 AM(UTC)
trek123

Of course I've seen that information. It lists vision, hearing, and "other medical requirements" without detailing what the "other" requirements actually are. I was asking for more specific information, hence the word "exactly" in my previous post. A lesser man than me would probably tell you that you are going to have a lot of trouble as a SA, given your lack of reading comprehension. I, on the other hand, am choosing the high road, despite your snarky response. Best of luck to you in the process!

Originally Posted by: passwordistaco Go to Quoted Post

Thank you for this information!

Again, the first thing in the job announcement (had you actually read it) would have answered your question - everything passwordistico mentioned is listed there. Don't call me out on reading comprehension when you can't even bother to read. PS usually when you take the "high road" you don't make a cringey comment right before about 'lesser man'.

SA1Day  
#379 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2019 5:10:14 PM(UTC)
SA1Day

Again, the first thing in the job announcement (had you actually read it) would have answered your question - everything passwordistico mentioned is listed there. Don't call me out on reading comprehension when you can't even bother to read. PS usually when you take the "high road" you don't make a cringey comment right before about 'lesser man'.

Clearly, I'm not as bright as you. Could you please paste the language from the announcement? Dumb old me STILL can't find it. I anxiously await your reply.....

Also, my cringey comment was a joke. Perhaps you didn't.....comprehend that?
JayMan06  
#380 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2019 5:51:24 PM(UTC)
JayMan06

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Let's cut out the negative back and forth. Whether you're right or wrong is irrelevant. Working for the IRS or any enforcement-related employer, requires that you learn how to deal with unpleasant people who disagree with you in a professional way.

If you want to share info, be polite. If you feel insulted, still, be polite. You don't know where you'll be down the road career-wise, and how your previous behavior may affect you.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed