Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PhaseIVDBCS  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2019 7:32:22 PM(UTC)
PhaseIVDBCS

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Was at the bank today and the tellers were talking among themselves about $2 dollar bills going fast. The branch gets $400 worth a week from the Federal Reserve. I asked if they had any left and I got $40 bucks worth of uncirculated sequentially numbered bills with a printing date of 2013 and 1 circulated from 1976, which reportedly is a collector item. I was thinking of giving 10 of the uncirculated sequential $2 dollar bills to my carrier as a unique Christmas tip. Good Idea?

She was a new regular that replaced my long time carrier. When she first started a year ago this time on the route, a mounted city route w/882 residences and 28 businesses per EDDM, I would see her at the cluster box around 7 pm and I'm not at the end of the route. Now she hits the box by 4 at the latest. When weather is hot and I'm home and see her I bring her a cold bottle of water or can of coconut water. Lately I'm leaving her my excess Halloween candy daily in the cluster box.

When she is NS or on AL or SL is when my delivery, and possibly others, suffers. I've got Informed Delivery and I don't see 99% of any expected mail until she returns or I track it down at the station, such as when I had to track down passports a day after they were "out for delivery" and found in the hot case, while there they gave me mail (found on the ledge) from the previous 4 days. I recently even had a small Amazon packet "delivered to parcel locker" a mile from my house on her NS day. She was able to locate and retrieve the contents of the opened parcel.

Before anyone asks, my slot in the cluster box is labeled with names (3) and address highlighted. My is house directly across from the cluster box and my house number is on my fence and visible from the box. As for the tip, I will personally hand the card with it to her so it doesn't go astray on her NS day.

Edited by user Saturday, November 23, 2019 7:56:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Hannah Blecter  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2019 7:58:02 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

Was thanked: 1248 time(s) in 855 post(s)
It is a violation of law for a carrier to take even one penny of cash or cash-equivalents (gift cards, for example) from a customer.

You may do as you wish and each carrier makes their personal decision whether or not to follow the law.

You may give non-cash gifts up to $20 in value, if my recollection is correct.
thanks 1 user thanked Hannah Blecter for this useful post.
The Postmaster on 11/23/2019(UTC)
Hannah Blecter  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2019 8:01:37 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

It is sickening when you know that some employees give preferential treatment to the biggest tippers.

That is the very good reason why the rules exist. All customers should get the same (good) treatment. I know a carrier that favors some customers in a very embarrassing manner. He has no shame or conscience when it comes to grooming customers for cash tips and rewarding them in return.

I do realize that some carriers who violate the rules do not give preferential treatment, but treat (or try to treat) all customers equally.

p.s. The shameless carrier is an excellent carrier and he offers to tip me (share his haul) as a T-6. I decline.

Edited by user Friday, November 22, 2019 8:04:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

roger.d  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2019 8:06:16 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 780 time(s) in 608 post(s)
I see no rational reason to give $2 bills. Unless you think they will keep them to be some collectable.

And as Hanna said, it is against the rules for a carrier to accept your proposition.

;)
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
postalvet  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2019 8:30:28 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2905 time(s) in 2297 post(s)
as a postal employee they might very well make an example of you.

https://about.usps.com/p...22349/html/cover_025.htm

"Employee Tipping and Gift-Receiving Policy
All postal employees, including carriers, must comply with the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Exec­utive Branch. Under these federal regulations, carriers are permitted to accept a gift worth $20 or less from a customer per occasion, such as Christmas. However, cash and cash equivalents, such as checks or gift cards that can be exchanged for cash, must never be accepted in any amount. Furthermore, no employee may accept more than $50 worth of gifts from any one customer in any one calendar year period."

but here is what I said 4 years ago
https://forum.federalsou...s&t=70957#post782706
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
z165012  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 2:12:27 AM(UTC)
z165012

United States

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 26 post(s)
for every 2 $10 bills, 1.4 $2 bill is made...

its a 'false rarity'
PhaseIVDBCS  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 5:03:33 AM(UTC)
PhaseIVDBCS

Ok... got it... no cash.

Suggestions for material goods to show appreciation for a job well done?

Hannah Blecter  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 8:14:49 AM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

Originally Posted by: PhaseIVDBCS Go to Quoted Post
Ok... got it... no cash.

Bottle of liquor--carriers love that.
PhaseIVDBCS  
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 8:19:13 AM(UTC)
PhaseIVDBCS

Wife came home from work late this morning. Said she has the gift handled and is making dog clothes for the carriers new rescue Maltese dog. She is also going to give her one of the woven nylon dog leashes we picked up at the Japanese version of the dollar store. We caught hops on a military C-17 cargo flight to Japan via Alaska and then a returning flight 3 days later via Guam and Hawaii this summer.

My wife did remind me to check the value of the 5 uncirculated 1953 Red Seal $2 dollar bills my parents gave me that are in my gun safe. Each is worth $28.00 from online sources.

Did have one private message (deleted) suggesting "edibles" from a local legalized shop. Don't want to go there.
Hannah Blecter  
#10 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 8:20:39 AM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

I have always thought $2 bills were cool. Same with dollar coins. The problem is that they are not needed or easy to handle by businesses. Businesses did not want to have an extra slot in their cash drawer or one more denomination to deal with. And they don't want to mix their dollar coins in with the quarters by mistake. I also like half dollars. There are probably lots of these coins and bills in many homes of people like me.

I agree it would be a gift someone would enjoy.

Also, no one seems to get in trouble over tipping. But I just don't take any chances. Why give management any ammo? Especially as carriers. Just look at how carriers are treated for doing their job well. And you never know when they might want to ding you or what side of the bed they get up on.
Park and Loop  
#11 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 8:30:19 AM(UTC)
Park and Loop

Was thanked: 102 time(s) in 73 post(s)
Sounds like a good gift idea.

As for the $2 bills, the carrier might not realize they are collectable and spend it. Better to just leave a $20 in the box. Every year I leave a gift box of homemade treats and $25 in my mailbox, I get excellent service and have no issues rewarding the carrier.
Hannah Blecter  
#12 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 8:50:54 AM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

I doubt a carrier would tell a customer if the carrier is one of many who would never eat something homemade that was left for them. If they won't it probably gets put in the office where others without such fears gobble it up (usually).

So I would not go to the trouble of a homemade item unless you knew it was something the carrier would truly enjoy--and they might just be nice and then not eat it. One time a young person brought me a bottle of water. I was 5 minutes from being at the office at the end of the route and I declined. He looked crushed. So now I always act excited because of realizing I should have made that kid feel good for his kindness.

If you wonder if a homemade item would be eaten, get something many people don't buy for themselves--fancy chocolates, etc. Or perhaps an item that no one would be allergic to. I like chocolate with nuts, but you don't know who has allergies.

The animal accessories are a great idea. It adds a personal touch. It might even be the only excuse that person has to put something on their dog--what many want to do but are afraid to do. My daughter's dogs have bandanas. The husky's says "I'm the reason we can't have nice things."
LastLaconiaTE  
#13 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 4:23:25 PM(UTC)
LastLaconiaTE

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PhaseIVDBCS Go to Quoted Post
Ok... got it... no cash.

$ 19.50 worth of wood for the stove
122intheshade  
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 3:37:27 PM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 565 time(s) in 454 post(s)
My wife makes "can't leave 'em alone" bars (aka "touch mine and you're DEAD" bars) for our carrier. I always insist that she make a pan of them for me.

If you've never had them, find the recipe and bribe your cookie-maker. And be generous.

They are the greatest. But only one pan, once a year. Otherwise you'll never leave home again, and in a couple years they'll need a crane to lift you out of the house onto a flatbed for the trip to the hospital.

They're like weed and guns. Used responsibly, they will enhance your life. Go over the edge, and you'll be living under an overpass.
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
7monthsofwinter  
#15 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 4:21:05 PM(UTC)
7monthsofwinter

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I wish my customers didn't feel the need to give me a Christmas gift or Christmas tip. I get paid pretty well for this work. I just feel guilty saying no to them i guess. If they appreciate me and want to reasonably show it once a year i feel bad turning it down, but I guess I should.
MPE2009  
#16 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 5:42:49 PM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 388 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hannah Blecter Go to Quoted Post
If they won't it probably gets put in the office where others without such fears gobble it up (usually).

That's the custodian's job :)
thanks 1 user thanked MPE2009 for this useful post.
Hannah Blecter on 11/24/2019(UTC)
ST214  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2019 7:13:41 PM(UTC)
ST214

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I love $2 bills! Spending them is so much fun, you get some interesting reactions!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed