Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
IA-carrier  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2019 6:19:52 AM(UTC)
IA-carrier

Groups: Registered

Looking to get some feedback from postal employees with real world experience. Amazon has recently leased a large facility in our area. They are in the hiring stages and plan to deliver from this new location. We had a standup talk and was told we should expect to loose Amazon parcels early next year, although no projected volume lose was known. For those offices that have already been through this, can you tell me the parcel volume lose you experienced, lets say at the beginning, 3 months, 6 months and a year in, if you have that much data? Is Amazon still bring you any packages? Are you still delivering on Sundays?

Edited by user Tuesday, December 3, 2019 7:59:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

z165012  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2019 8:40:03 AM(UTC)
z165012

United States

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 26 post(s)
im in a suburban area that has amazon drivers...sure, we haven't 'lost' the contract fully, and there were days where the 23 route office would see 42 total amazon parcels for a Saturday, I thought it was crazy, cause I came from a 2 route office that would get 100 daily, but was not near a town of over 30,000 people...

our amazon the last month has been quite erratic to say the least...2 of the days last week we have gotten an 'extra' evening drop, though we are only scheduled for the morning drop...then we will get like 100 parcels one day and 600 the next...usually when its a 'light' amazon day, its the super large and heavy boxes, the dog food, the kitty litter, or the stuff that isn't in a neighborhood, its out at the edge of society...

I expect 'the powers that be' at amazon will figure out that when purchasing ramps up, the independent contractors that they have wont be able to keep up with the volume and start shuffling it off to the post office...

it would be nice if the higher-ups at the post office realize that if amazon 'pulls out' and doesn't renew in areas, that when amazon comes back when they cant handle the volume, that the post office slams them with a much higher price...

its like when I was in transportation, the mom & pop drivers that weren't company affiliated would charge more per mile to haul the closer to xmas we would call...the post office needs to do the same thing...

if amazon wants to contract with an office, the post office needs to say 'at your desired service level, you will pay 'x' amount per package, if you go over that level by 'x' % you will be charged an additional fee per package/pound delivery'
postalvet  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2019 9:53:36 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2904 time(s) in 2296 post(s)
Originally Posted by: z165012 Go to Quoted Post

it would be nice if the higher-ups at the post office realize that if amazon 'pulls out' and doesn't renew in areas, that when amazon comes back when they cant handle the volume, that the post office slams them with a much higher price...

its like when I was in transportation, the mom & pop drivers that weren't company affiliated would charge more per mile to haul the closer to xmas we would call...the post office needs to do the same thing...

if amazon wants to contract with an office, the post office needs to say 'at your desired service level, you will pay 'x' amount per package, if you go over that level by 'x' % you will be charged an additional fee per package/pound delivery'

your ideas are nice and postal management knows about things like this but they are handcuffed by congress and the other delivery services, like UPS and fedex.

because the post office has an monopoly on first class and the exclusive use of the mail box the other delivery services put handcuffs on what the post office can and can not do through congress and title 39 of the code the post office operates under.

in other words the post office can only operate some what like a business.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
thanks 1 user thanked postalvet for this useful post.
Unhappympe on 12/2/2019(UTC)
poorfamily  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2019 10:45:33 AM(UTC)
poorfamily

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Originally Posted by: postalvet Go to Quoted Post

your ideas are nice and postal management knows about things like this but they are handcuffed by congress and the other delivery services, like UPS and fedex.

because the post office has an monopoly on first class and the exclusive use of the mail box the other delivery services put handcuffs on what the post office can and can not do through congress and title 39 of the code the post office operates under.

USPS can negotiate rates with individual mailers.

https://www.usps.com/nat...accounts/nsa/welcome.htm

We all know they should have been charging Amazon much more per package from the very beginning instead of just aiming to break even. Clearly Amazon hasn't been satisfied receiving premium service at pennies on the dollar of what other customers have to pay. They can invest hundreds of millions of dollars into a delivery network and then turn around and raise the cost of yearly Prime. And tens of millions of their customers will drool and nod and say 'Thank you Mr. Bezos!'

How long before Amazon is delivering everything from every shipper? 10 years?

z165012  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2019 12:01:44 PM(UTC)
z165012

United States

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 26 post(s)
POSHMARK no matter what size the box (priority flat rate or otherwise), no matter what the weight printed on the label, it is to be accepted and NOT CHARGED POSTAGE DUE, so yes, as said above, companies work with the USPS to get set rates
Cmcraig14  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2019 12:17:16 PM(UTC)
Cmcraig14

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
We had an amazon hub open 6 months ago 15 miles from my station. At first not much changed.

3 months- we were seeing with 20 parcels just like it used to be before the ***** show began with them.

6 months- seems like amazon with all the drivers that are in my way and breaking driving laws constantly can’t get routes done and we are back to high volume amazon parcel rates. I won’t say it’s insane as the last few years but I had an 8 hour route before amazon hit us and what this is now is still good OT for parcel delivery.

Y’all be safe this winter and remember we get paid by the hour not by delivery scans ✌🏼
postalvet  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2019 12:50:21 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Originally Posted by: poorfamily Go to Quoted Post

USPS can negotiate rates with individual mailers.

https://www.usps.com/nat...accounts/nsa/welcome.htm

We all know they should have been charging Amazon much more per package from the very beginning instead of just aiming to break even. Clearly Amazon hasn't been satisfied receiving premium service at pennies on the dollar of what other customers have to pay. They can invest hundreds of millions of dollars into a delivery network and then turn around and raise the cost of yearly Prime. And tens of millions of their customers will drool and nod and say 'Thank you Mr. Bezos!'

How long before Amazon is delivering everything from every shipper? 10 years?

the poster z165012 said "if amazon wants to contract with an office" a single office is not a national contract, that is outside what you posted and not available.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
craigrh13  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2019 2:36:36 PM(UTC)
craigrh13

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 53 post(s)
It went down substantially after we lost Amazon. Christmas was a nightmare before Amazon took over. Now it’s not too bad. We still get a few here and there but it’s nowhere near as close. I deliver less than half the parcels that I used to.
Seadogg  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2019 4:06:23 PM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 564 time(s) in 377 post(s)
im in a suburban area that has amazon drivers...sure, we haven't 'lost' the contract fully, and there were days where the 23 route office would see 42 total amazon parcels for a Saturday, I thought it was crazy, cause I came from a 2 route office that would get 100 daily, but was not near a town of over 30,000 people...

our amazon the last month has been quite erratic to say the least...2 of the days last week we have gotten an 'extra' evening drop, though we are only scheduled for the morning drop...then we will get like 100 parcels one day and 600 the next...usually when its a 'light' amazon day, its the super large and heavy boxes, the dog food, the kitty litter, or the stuff that isn't in a neighborhood, its out at the edge of society...

I expect 'the powers that be' at amazon will figure out that when purchasing ramps up, the independent contractors that they have wont be able to keep up with the volume and start shuffling it off to the post office...

I've been worried about this ever since Amazon announced their delivery network. They take all the packages on the light/good weather days, so we bleed money in uncaptured undertime. Then, on days that are already heavy, they dump way more on us, and we bleed money in OT/penalty time.

To answer the OPs question, Amazon entered our market a couple years ago. They deliver a lot, but so many more people order stuff all the time, there are still plenty of packages for us too. I have heard that a few of the stations in our installation are no longer getting Amazon at all, and I imagine they have been greatly affected.
postalvet  
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2019 5:44:10 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Originally Posted by: Seadogg Go to Quoted Post
[
I've been worried about this ever since Amazon announced their delivery network. They take all the packages on the light/good weather days, so we bleed money in uncaptured undertime. Then, on days that are already heavy, they dump way more on us, and we bleed money in OT/penalty time.

this could be a plan. when packages do not meet deadlines amazon can complain to the postal regulatory commission and ask for penalties if that is written in the contract. amazon gets money back.
John Henry  
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2019 6:17:40 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 137 time(s) in 118 post(s)
[

this could be a plan. when packages do not meet deadlines amazon can complain to the postal regulatory commission and ask for penalties if that is written in the contract. amazon gets money back.

Local management has made the claim that anything delivered after 8 PM generates a postal service refund to Amazon, thus since we are already in penalty we then deviate away from the most efficient route costing even more time. Thus I think that I can make the case that the stations that get the extra Amazon "revenue" spend way more to fulfill the obligation put upon the service. The service paid me personally $70 in V-time to beat the clock on a grand total of two pieces from Amazon a couple of weeks ago

The only way this makes any sense is that one bean counter just tracks revenue. He buys commercials and dreams about being the exclusive Amazon deliver force. While a totally separate group tracks operating cost and just wants to see the goal number on hours used.
donaldworrell  
#12 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2019 6:44:26 PM(UTC)
donaldworrell

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 51 post(s)
small Amazon parcels are heavyset I have ever seen. In my 6 route office we have been working overtime for the past two weeks, stating Monday our cca will have a rented van to delivery parcels through Christmas to help us.

We do see an Amazon truck, once in a while. But it is making a one hour and a half one way trip to get to us.

I wish we had Amazon delivery closer to us. Any help would be appreciated. Note to self take fresh battlers for my flash light. I am going to need it.

P.s. You know it's bad when Amazon has more parcels than will fit in thier storage box they have out side .

Edited by user Sunday, December 1, 2019 6:48:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Seadogg  
#13 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2019 8:20:02 PM(UTC)
Seadogg

Put another way, I'm pretty sure that if Amazon hadn't arrived to deliver some of their own packages, most routes without a Promaster would have been COMPLETELY OVERWHELMED... way too many to fit in the vehicle.
John Henry  
#14 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2019 8:52:08 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 137 time(s) in 118 post(s)
Put another way, I'm pretty sure that if Amazon hadn't arrived to deliver some of their own packages, most routes without a Promaster would have been COMPLETELY OVERWHELMED... way too many to fit in the vehicle.

Before this year we were running 12 hours on and off while being mandated every other off day. And come December there was no surge capability as we ran out of truck space and scanner battery life. Along with widespread falsification beat the clock scans with rotating reasons as justification.

CCAs were not lasting a week and many senior carriers left years earlier than they had previously planned. Our brothers in brown at least had the advantage of having two man trucks when they were out of resources. But they were so overwhelmed the year before it started for us they were doing the missed delivery falsification game so we got the increased market share. There was just too much stuff being shipped for all the services combined with more coming.

It is not revenue its obligation, once a station hits X amount every additional piece is a further lose because it cost more than we get
colty31  
#15 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 10:04:39 AM(UTC)
colty31

United States

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Please change to “Volume LOSS after LOSING Amazon”

This thread title hurt my brain.
RodOrRob  
#16 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 3:12:26 PM(UTC)
RodOrRob

Was thanked: 1115 time(s) in 809 post(s)
Originally Posted by: colty31 Go to Quoted Post

It's "hurts" my brain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3y0CD2CoCs

Edited by user Monday, December 2, 2019 3:14:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Hannah Blecter  
#17 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 3:44:22 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

Was thanked: 1248 time(s) in 855 post(s)
Either hurt or hurts could bee write.
colty31  
#18 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 6:58:09 PM(UTC)
colty31

United States

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RodOrRob Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: colty31 Go to Quoted Post

It's "hurts" my brain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3y0CD2CoCs

HURT.
Seadogg  
#19 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 7:07:53 PM(UTC)
Seadogg

Is it really that hard? It's just past tense or present; either works. For the record, spelling lose with two O's is also one of my pet peeves.
122intheshade  
#20 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 7:16:47 PM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 565 time(s) in 454 post(s)
I don't think they even teach that stuff in school any more. I know they don't teach writing by hand. Have you seen the signatures of people born in the past 30-40 years? You'd think they were doctors.
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed