Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

20 Pages«<181920
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JayMan06  
#381 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2019 5:51:24 PM(UTC)
JayMan06

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/4/2019(UTC)
Posts: 25
United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Let's cut out the negative back and forth. Whether you're right or wrong is irrelevant. Working for the IRS or any enforcement-related employer, requires that you learn how to deal with unpleasant people who disagree with you in a professional way.

If you want to share info, be polite. If you feel insulted, still, be polite. You don't know where you'll be down the road career-wise, and how your previous behavior may affect you.
Beetums  
#382 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2019 7:10:29 PM(UTC)
Beetums

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/2/2017(UTC)
Posts: 17
United States

Sorry to hear about your troubles on the trip down, Gooby. Glad you made it safely and hopefully everyone else does, too.

To everyone starting FLETC this week, good luck to you. Hopefully you guys find time to give the rest of us the play-by-play on what's going on down there. We have to live vicariously through you!
worker  
#383 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2019 8:47:15 PM(UTC)
worker

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/3/2017(UTC)
Posts: 33

Thanks: 11 times
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Glad you are ok and good luck to all
Gooby77  
#384 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 3:00:25 AM(UTC)
Gooby77

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/24/2019(UTC)
Posts: 11
United States

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks guys, got about 4 hours left to drive still today. That compared with the holiday traffic made for a long first day of driving
jh1987  
#385 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 3:29:28 AM(UTC)
jh1987

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/21/2019(UTC)
Posts: 39
United States
Location: Columbia, SC

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sorry to hear that...see you down there later today. I am only 3.5 hours from Brunswick so I am leaving a little later.....just for clarification we need business attire for tomorrow, we dont need to show up in it correct?
Gooby77  
#386 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 3:54:01 AM(UTC)
Gooby77

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/24/2019(UTC)
Posts: 11
United States

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jh1987 Go to Quoted Post
Sorry to hear that...see you down there later today. I am only 3.5 hours from Brunswick so I am leaving a little later.....just for clarification we need business attire for tomorrow, we dont need to show up in it correct?


Yea as far as I know suit and tie tomorrow. I just have jeans and a shirt for today to roll in
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#387 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 4:23:35 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/28/2014(UTC)
Posts: 408
United States

Thanks: 34 times
Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gooby77 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jh1987 Go to Quoted Post
Sorry to hear that...see you down there later today. I am only 3.5 hours from Brunswick so I am leaving a little later.....just for clarification we need business attire for tomorrow, we dont need to show up in it correct?


Yea as far as I know suit and tie tomorrow. I just have jeans and a shirt for today to roll in


Wear the suit and tie your first 2 days
newguy724  
#388 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 8:39:47 AM(UTC)
newguy724

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/14/2019(UTC)
Posts: 19

Does anyone on here have any insight as to the background check requirements? The current posting says top secret clearance required, however the previous posting was listed as public trust position. No security clearance for that posting in February 2019. Did standards change that require a Top Secret clearance now? or is that just in case the position would require one the applicants are aware of it?
JayMan06  
#389 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 9:57:09 AM(UTC)
JayMan06

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/4/2019(UTC)
Posts: 25
United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: newguy724 Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone on here have any insight as to the background check requirements? The current posting says top secret clearance required, however the previous posting was listed as public trust position. No security clearance for that posting in February 2019. Did standards change that require a Top Secret clearance now? or is that just in case the position would require one the applicants are aware of it?


I asked a SA and he told me he was not sure why they listed it differently, however that "top secret clearance" is is the minimum clearance for the SA position anyway.
worker  
#390 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 3:59:49 PM(UTC)
worker

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/3/2017(UTC)
Posts: 33

Thanks: 11 times
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)


Wear the suit and tie your first 2 days


I agree
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#391 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2019 4:13:28 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/28/2014(UTC)
Posts: 408
United States

Thanks: 34 times
Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JayMan06 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: newguy724 Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone on here have any insight as to the background check requirements? The current posting says top secret clearance required, however the previous posting was listed as public trust position. No security clearance for that posting in February 2019. Did standards change that require a Top Secret clearance now? or is that just in case the position would require one the applicants are aware of it?


I asked a SA and he told me he was not sure why they listed it differently, however that "top secret clearance" is is the minimum clearance for the SA position anyway.


We go through high risk public trust background check. Top secret is usually based on need including for all SSAs and those on task forces.

Maybe they are changing it for new hires OR it’s a typo.
MICPA  
#392 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2019 5:52:12 PM(UTC)
MICPA

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/20/2018(UTC)
Posts: 100
Location: MI

Thanks: 16 times
Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I didn’t really read the previous post LOL but does anyone have an idea or can give me a brief summary of what the hiring process is like for special agent? I terms of exams etc.. I recall for an RA we had to go through a simulation exam. Thanks!
Also I noticed there is a vision requirement are we allow to take the exam with our glasses or we have to get lasik?
Beetums  
#393 Posted : Wednesday, December 4, 2019 7:51:51 PM(UTC)
Beetums

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/2/2017(UTC)
Posts: 17
United States

Originally Posted by: MICPA Go to Quoted Post
I didn’t really read the previous post LOL but does anyone have an idea or can give me a brief summary of what the hiring process is like for special agent? I terms of exams etc.. I recall for an RA we had to go through a simulation exam. Thanks!
Also I noticed there is a vision requirement are we allow to take the exam with our glasses or we have to get lasik?


Check this out: https://www.jobs.irs.gov...estigation-special-agent

Believe it is 2, maybe 3 online assessments, then a proctored assessment, then the interview if you make the cut. Vision test is corrected or uncorrected (glasses are fine) but you have to meet minimum vision requirements specified at the link, above.
ronald_mcdonald  
#394 Posted : Thursday, December 5, 2019 10:34:59 AM(UTC)
ronald_mcdonald

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/5/2015(UTC)
Posts: 11
United States

Just out of curiousity, if you can't meet the 20/200 uncorrected, will waivers be granted? Also, will you have the opportunity to get the eye surgery post medical review if it comes to it?
jlsejreji  
#395 Posted : Thursday, December 5, 2019 3:24:14 PM(UTC)
jlsejreji

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/24/2019(UTC)
Posts: 2

Originally Posted by: 9L81 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jlsejreji Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: 9L81 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: CityUSA Go to Quoted Post
Being that they posted a new announcement, is it safe to say that they’re not considering anyone else that interviewed within the last 2 months?

Would they update USAJOBS as not considered/selected?


Probably moved on. I know my FO has.


So, if someone never heard back after interviewing at a particular FO, I'm guessing it would probably be in their best interest to not make that FO their #1 location preference when reapplying?


Not necessarily but if you are open to working somewhere else then apply there too. I don't know if the new announcement is letting people rank field offices or PODs or just pick a specific number in order.

How far did you make it in the process before not hearing anything? Have you tried to see where you stand with that office? Maybe a document requested was not received or something simple like that.

I made it to phase 4 (interview), which was about two months ago. I emailed the HR contact about a week or so ago to see if selections were still being made from that announcement, but have yet to hear back. I haven't tried reaching out to the person who scheduled the interview/was on the panel, but I guess at this point, it can't hurt to do so. I assumed we'd at least receive an email notification saying whether or not we "passed" the interview.

Originally Posted by: ronald_mcdonald Go to Quoted Post
Just out of curiousity, if you can't meet the 20/200 uncorrected, will waivers be granted? Also, will you have the opportunity to get the eye surgery post medical review if it comes to it?


Per the announcement, "All of the medical requirements MUST be met at the time of initial examination/test. Applicants failing to meet the medical requirements at the time of their initial examination/test will be considered ineligible for the position."
InPlainSight  
#396 Posted : Sunday, December 8, 2019 11:23:25 AM(UTC)
InPlainSight

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/29/2019(UTC)
Posts: 2

Hi, ladies and gents. Does anyone know what happens if you've cleared all onboarding steps but are then unable to report to FLETC on the date indicated with the firm offer? Say you had sustained a temporary injury that would require another month or two to recover from, would they have you report later, or perhaps report to the field office to do some type of work prior to going to FLETC? I've tried to contact Homer Byers to run through this information but I can't get a response. I'm hoping they wouldn't just give you the boot after such a long process. I have not received a firm offer and this may not even be an issue but I'm trying to get out in front of things, as well as pass this on to the Agency, for the sake of full disclosure.

Edited by user Sunday, December 8, 2019 11:26:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Speling id hard :)

dubyac  
#397 Posted : Sunday, December 8, 2019 4:26:21 PM(UTC)
dubyac

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/4/2018(UTC)
Posts: 66
United States

Thanks: 9 times
Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: InPlainSight Go to Quoted Post
Hi, ladies and gents. Does anyone know what happens if you've cleared all onboarding steps but are then unable to report to FLETC on the date indicated with the firm offer? Say you had sustained a temporary injury that would require another month or two to recover from, would they have you report later, or perhaps report to the field office to do some type of work prior to going to FLETC? I've tried to contact Homer Byers to run through this information but I can't get a response. I'm hoping they wouldn't just give you the boot after such a long process. I have not received a firm offer and this may not even be an issue but I'm trying to get out in front of things, as well as pass this on to the Agency, for the sake of full disclosure.


There is-potentially-the possibility of flexibility with scheduling dates. Are you in contact with your field office?

I don't know what the standard procedure would be in this case. Each field office seems a bit different. Some people in my class started at the field office a few weeks before FLETC. It's possible, and IRS-CI is pretty flexible.




InPlainSight  
#398 Posted : Monday, December 9, 2019 6:22:28 AM(UTC)
InPlainSight

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/29/2019(UTC)
Posts: 2

Originally Posted by: dubyac Go to Quoted Post


There is-potentially-the possibility of flexibility with scheduling dates. Are you in contact with your field office?

I don't know what the standard procedure would be in this case. Each field office seems a bit different. Some people in my class started at the field office a few weeks before FLETC. It's possible, and IRS-CI is pretty flexible.


Thanks for your reply. I've not been in touch with my field office; I don't have a contact there. I was emailed by the SAC for the region when I received my TO but was told I would be in one of the smaller offices. I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate to reach out to the SAC with questions like these.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2), mechanic2000
20 Pages«<181920
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 1.091 seconds.