Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Boomer4u  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 4:02:43 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Trying to change from Rural Carrier Benefit plan Self +1, to GEHA two each Self only plans. The system doesn't recognize me as having FEHB coverage. I was/am covered under my wife's Rural Carrier plan both before and after retirement continously 5 years etc. I've Faxed in the SF2809s to Retirement services as the FEHB group says they have to "verify" coverage/eligibility. Can't do it online, etc. How do you know the change will go through, seems like a crap shoot. Also, her retirement won't cover the new Rural Carrier plans cost, hence why we are changing. I also faxed a letter saying if eligibility is in question to change us to the Self +1 GEHA plan. Just seems like a "Goat Rope". Plus we'll be on a cruise come Jan 4th so no way of knowing if this will take affect. Seems like the "system" should recognize a retired federal employee that is covered under the spouses plan. Any insight?
postalvet  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 4, 2019 8:20:55 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2904 time(s) in 2296 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Boomer4u Go to Quoted Post
Trying to change from Rural Carrier Benefit plan Self +1, to GEHA two each Self only plans. The system doesn't recognize me as having FEHB coverage. I was/am covered under my wife's Rural Carrier plan both before and after retirement continously 5 years etc. I've Faxed in the SF2809s to Retirement services as the FEHB group says they have to "verify" coverage/eligibility. Can't do it online, etc. How do you know the change will go through, seems like a crap shoot. Also, her retirement won't cover the new Rural Carrier plans cost, hence why we are changing. I also faxed a letter saying if eligibility is in question to change us to the Self +1 GEHA plan. Just seems like a "Goat Rope". Plus we'll be on a cruise come Jan 4th so no way of knowing if this will take affect. Seems like the "system" should recognize a retired federal employee that is covered under the spouses plan. Any insight?

you have to have your wife do it for you as you do not have your own plan.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
Raoul  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 5, 2019 11:10:23 AM(UTC)

Man
United States

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Something is not passing the sniff test.
You say you have been covered for five years and you are retired.
Self +1 won't be five years old until Dec 31st this year. The first date to enroll was Jan 2015.

The rules state you must have insurance for five years by retirement to continue or otherwise be covered by another employee.
How did you come to be in a Self +1 in the first place when it is more expensive than two Self Plans?
Retired July 2011
Boomer4u  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 5, 2019 11:18:16 AM(UTC)

Continuous coverage for all my Federal service, just under my wife's plan for the last 5 years, didn't say Self+1 for 5 years. Reading is hard, but thanks for the helpful comment.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed