Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RVAhiker  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 6:10:13 AM(UTC)
RVAhiker

Groups: Registered
United States

I was recently hired into a position as a GS7. After looking at the announcement again I found that I should be eligible for GS9 based on my experience. Do I have to wait 52 weeks for TIG before getting GS9, or can I get it earlier once I prove that I meet the experience requirement? Special note: the GS7 was gained based on BA degree alone not experience, and the GS9 is experience based or MA degree.

Thanks in advance for your time.

RVAHiker
Unknown User  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 1:18:38 PM(UTC)
Unknown User

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RVAhiker Go to Quoted Post
I was recently hired into a position as a GS7. After looking at the announcement again I found that I should be eligible for GS9 based on my experience. Do I have to wait 52 weeks for TIG before getting GS9, or can I get it earlier once I prove that I meet the experience requirement? Special note: the GS7 was gained based on BA degree alone not experience, and the GS9 is experience based or MA degree.

RVAHiker

Have you started the position yet?

I say if you haven't started yet. This isnt a guarantee, but it is worth a try. I would contact your supervisor first to explain to them your situation. Then they would contact HR to get you started at a GS-9. They may also just tell you to go ahead and contact HR. Just make sure to go through your supervisor, to start off a healthy relationship. You don't want to seem as if you are doing things behind their back.

Edited by user Monday, December 2, 2019 1:37:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Endless Summer  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 1:58:32 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 171 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RVAhiker Go to Quoted Post

RVAHiker

If you've accepted a Final Offer as a 7 I would think you'd have a tough time going back and asking for the 9. But, it costs nothing to ask.
djp  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 4:31:03 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 133 post(s)
You can’t do much if you accepted and you need to put in a yr to get promoted to 9.

You can app,y fir Gs 9 positions open to anyone as an outside applicant.
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2019 4:20:33 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 50 post(s)
It can happen! I started a job as a GS 5 even though I had a masters and I qualified as a 9. I tried to get a grade increase before I accepted the job but HR would not budge saying that was the certificate I was selected off of. I took the job anyway because I needed to get away from my current federal job/boss.

About 4 weeks into the job, I mentioned to my boss I had a masters and they fought for me to increase my grade to a 9. My grade was changed to GS9 2 months later. It would not have happened had I not mentioned to my boss that I had my masters and felt I should be a GS9.

It never hurts to ask your current boss to see what they can do for you.
thanks 1 user thanked IRSSpecialAgent_1Day for this useful post.
Endless Summer on 12/3/2019(UTC)
FrankJr  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2019 7:52:33 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 107 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IRSSpecialAgent_1Day Go to Quoted Post
It can happen! I started a job as a GS 5 even though I had a masters and I qualified as a 9. I tried to get a grade increase before I accepted the job but HR would not budge saying that was the certificate I was selected off of. I took the job anyway because I needed to get away from my current federal job/boss.

About 4 weeks into the job, I mentioned to my boss I had a masters and they fought for me to increase my grade to a 9. My grade was changed to GS9 2 months later. It would not have happened had I not mentioned to my boss that I had my masters and felt I should be a GS9.

Unfortunately the example is a perfect example of the issues with favoritism. Endless numbers of federal employees "qualified" for higher grades. Endless numbers of federal employees required to complete time in grade.

Hiring an individual at a GS 5 but four week later upgrade the individual to a GS 9 isn't one of the core principles associated with civil service.
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:40:53 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: IRSSpecialAgent_1Day Go to Quoted Post

Unfortunately the example is a perfect example of the issues with favoritism. Endless numbers of federal employees "qualified" for higher grades. Endless numbers of federal employees required to complete time in grade.

Hiring an individual at a GS 5 but four week later upgrade the individual to a GS 9 isn't one of the core principles associated with civil service.

That is most definitely not favoritism and I was not upgraded 4 weeks later. I mentioned my grad degree 1 month into the job and my managers worked with HR to make sure my grade reflected my qualifications. 2 months later, my grade was changed to a higher grade and rightfully so. No retro pay

My managers had my back in a tough situation where they knew I was eligible for grade 9. Furthermore I was a 9 in my prior position. Even they were perplexed why I was picked off the grade 5 cert even though I was also on the grade 9 cert. They went to bat for me and it worked out. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

It doesn’t hurt ask and see what they can do. Don’t be discouraged by what others say because it’s happened and I’m sure I wasn’t the only person it’s happened to.

When I accepted my special agent job I had to go thru the same hoops to make sure they hired me at the grade I was qualified for before the job started. BUT prior my hiring For prior special agents that were at the academy as grade 5 or 7 were given the opportunity to submit their grad degree (if completed before the start date) to increase their grade to a 9. The agency did that because of the 3-5 year gap between application and actual hire date where additional experience and schooling was not taken into consideration with the final offer.

Like I said it doesn’t hurt to ask!
RVAhiker  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 6, 2019 9:22:27 AM(UTC)
RVAhiker

United States

Sorry for the delay, currently doing my personal favorite activity of moving :(

I should have clarified that I had no intention in fighting HR to change the grade pre-hire. It is my mistake in the hiring process early on to not request the grade 9 qualification review. I am more so looking at upgrading early (instead of waiting 52 weeks) due to it being a developmental position. I supppose this will be a conversation to have with HR and new boss.

Thanks for the replies.

RVA
Rss Feed  Atom Feed