Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SB_Palm  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2019 9:57:52 AM(UTC)
SB_Palm

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi all,

I am awaiting a potential opportunity to work with AFRL as a scientist. Instead of the GS scale, they use DR which is more incentive or performance based. DR-I is roughly equivalent to GS 7-11, DR-II 12-13, and so on according to this https://www.wpafb.af.mil...l-demonstration-project/

I have both my degrees in physical sciences (not engineering) and about 2 years of research experience. I am a recent graduate and am not part of the military so I would have to be sponsored for a clearance if brought on board. With this education background and my low experience, does anyone with familiarity with the DR scale have an idea as to how much I should expect to start (even if comparing with GS scale)? Thanks.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 23, 2019 10:45:53 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1043 time(s) in 829 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SB_Palm Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

I am awaiting a potential opportunity to work with AFRL as a scientist. Instead of the GS scale, they use DR which is more incentive or performance based. DR-I is roughly equivalent to GS 7-11, DR-II 12-13, and so on according to this https://www.wpafb.af.mil...l-demonstration-project/

I have both my degrees in physical sciences (not engineering) and about 2 years of research experience. I am a recent graduate and am not part of the military so I would have to be sponsored for a clearance if brought on board. With this education background and my low experience, does anyone with familiarity with the DR scale have an idea as to how much I should expect to start (even if comparing with GS scale)? Thanks.
Depends on the job you apply to. If it si a DR-I, then that is what you will be paid (negotiate your starting pay in the band to the upper end if you can). If it s DR-II, then that would be the band you would be paid in.
Based on your job experience you listed, I'd say you could apply for DR-II positions, but be prepared to have to work that resume hard! DR-I would be easier to obtain, but obviously pays less.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
SB_Palm on 12/24/2019(UTC)
Indecisive  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2019 10:47:34 AM(UTC)
Indecisive

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi there,

I am paybanded in a laboratory demonstration project (DB though, not DR). I think you could qualify at the DR-II, but would recommend taking a look at 1) classification guides for the series you are offered a job in and 2) classification guides for the science/research positions that are out there (such as https://www.opm.gov/poli...ional-guides/gsresch.pdf). Would be difficult to say what the offer could be or what you qualify for without seeing the job and knowing more about your experience. As someone who wished she knew a lot more going into my current position, the best advice I can offer is to be informed of what experience is required at differing levels of positions and document that experience in your CV and work to gain any missing experience if you want upward career mobility.

If you have the opportunity to negotiate, recommend looking at how you would be converted out of the pay band aka your GS-equivalent. For my specific demonstration project, it is not a straight "dollar-to-dollar" conversion. Also, would avoid a direct-hire if you could. My experience is that the direct-hire authority does not afford you the opportunity for a lateral transfer of any kind, even for a job in the same series and same payband at another suborganization within the same command (Army rules though, not Air Force).

If you are offered a TERM position, make sure there is language that confirms you could be converted to PERM at a later date without further competition. A lot of the science positions are TERMS to start out, and the DoD actually can renew TERM positions for up to 6 years.
thanks 1 user thanked Indecisive for this useful post.
SB_Palm on 1/5/2020(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed