Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SwampMunkee  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 1:41:45 PM(UTC)
SwampMunkee

Groups: Registered
United States

Hey everyone new to the forum. Can anyone steer me in the right direction on picking a decent insurance plan. We have no HR department at my branch and I may as well be illiterate when it comes to sorting through the plans offered. I am 31 married with four children and a baby on the way. The two smallest are already covered until they are 5 in my state so I'm more or less trying to get something for me my wife and our two oldest girls as well as something that would cover the pregnancy costs and an occasional dentist visit for us and the kids. Sorry if this is a dumb question just looking for any advice on which of these plans would be best for my situation.
postalvet  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 2:44:42 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 3052 time(s) in 2432 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SwampMunkee Go to Quoted Post
Hey everyone new to the forum. Can anyone steer me in the right direction on picking a decent insurance plan. We have no HR department at my branch and I may as well be illiterate when it comes to sorting through the plans offered. I am 31 married with four children and a baby on the way. The two smallest are already covered until they are 5 in my state so I'm more or less trying to get something for me my wife and our two oldest girls as well as something that would cover the pregnancy costs and an occasional dentist visit for us and the kids. Sorry if this is a dumb question just looking for any advice on which of these plans would be best for my situation.

every persons situation is different and if you told us more about you we would know too much private stuff.

go to these links and investigate..
https://www.opm.gov/heal...formation/compare-plans/

https://www.opm.gov/heal.../plan-information/plans/
answers come from experience

Was a carrier despite what

Just Cause & rodger.d say

no one else has to prove anything

rip rbg
Roger.D  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 3:25:07 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 1033 time(s) in 799 post(s)
If you are a carrier, I like my NALC plan.

Many like the BC/BS plans.
thanks 1 user thanked roger.d for this useful post.
Lady1934 on 1/25/2020(UTC)
122intheshade  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 3:35:15 PM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 652 time(s) in 525 post(s)
I like the BCBS plan. Normal, not high option. You might as well get the "self plus family" option. Doesn't cost a lot more than the "self plus one", and you'll save a lot of time and paperwork and gnashing of teeth when you want to add the kids later.

Also, don't be afraid to have multiple insurances for your kids. One becomes primary, one secondary. Do your state a favor and insure everyone in your family.

Be aware too, that health insurance has a small dental benefit. But, you should get the extra dental insurance from FedVIP. Aka Benefeds.com
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
SwampMunkee  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 4:37:43 PM(UTC)
SwampMunkee

United States

Thanks for everyones reply. Sorry for taking so long to get back to y'all, I don't know the reason but every so often it just takes away my ability to reply or make new topics. When you say you like BCBS normal is that the standard or basic plan? Also where does maternity care fall when looking through the plans I don't see anything that says it specifically.
Another Carrier  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 5:23:11 PM(UTC)
Another Carrier

United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I'm sorry to bring the bad news, but open season is over now. You'll have to wait until December when it opens again.

In regards to a what insurance, it all depends on how much you can pay. I have GEHA family high option and they take $139 bi weekly and since that plan does not cover preventive dental I had to add GEHA connection dental federal for an extra $40; in total I'm paying $360 monthly and the insurance is not the greatest, it's just basic; but I can't afford to pay something higher since I have other bills to pay; but some people have told me that blue Cross blue shield has a good coverage
Cattails33  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 6:22:36 PM(UTC)
Cattails33

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Are you APWU or NALC?
Seadogg  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 6:31:48 PM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 682 time(s) in 458 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cattails33 Go to Quoted Post
Are you APWU or NALC?

Shouldn't really matter; you can join plans from the other unions (including mail handlers) for a minimal yearly fee.
Mack77  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 7:00:15 PM(UTC)
Mack77

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I have the Mailhandlers standard plan, I like it and it's only $10 copays for the kids. Cost about $146 a pay period and I pay $42 a year to be an associate member. BCBS basic and the APWU plans are the most popular where I'm at PVS/VMF.

If I'm not mistaken, almost every FEHB plan covers maternity at 100% so having a baby is essentially free.
122intheshade  
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 7:00:26 PM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 652 time(s) in 525 post(s)
I have BCBS Basic. The difference between "basic" and "high option" is really, Where do you want to pay your bills? Front end in higher premiums, or back end in higher co-pay?

I'll put the value of it this way. I had a stroke years ago. Couldn't talk, couldn't move. My wife saw it and called 911. Got me to the hospital. The hospital got it. Then rehab. I could not hold a toothbrush. They wouldn't let me drink for fear of choking. They screwed (not as bad as it sounds) a catheter in because I couldn't get up to go five feet to the bathroom. MRI, CAT scan, X-Ray. Six weeks of rehab.

A few days after I got out, I got my statement from BCBS. Here's what they charge, here's what we pay, etc. The original cost was about $115,000. My wife paid $500 the first day. THAT WAS ALL. If you think I will EVER LOOK at another insurer, you are mistaken.

As to your situation . . . are you just starting to look now, or did something recently happen (aka conversion) to make insurance available to you? That's a QLE and you have time. As for the pregnancy benefit, you can call any plan that interests you. In the case of BCBS, go to fepblue.org. You'll find tons of info and contact numbers there.

Good luck!
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
SwampMunkee  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 7:00:37 PM(UTC)
SwampMunkee

United States

I’m NALC and I’m using a Qualifying life event to enroll. Is there a reason my option to reply and post topics keeps disappearing? I’ll be logged in and after a few mins if I try do anything on the forum the option just completely goes away.
baxter0  
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 7:07:46 PM(UTC)
baxter0

United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SayNotoManagement Go to Quoted Post
I'm sorry to bring the bad news, but open season is over now. You'll have to wait until December when it opens again.

In regards to a what insurance, it all depends on how much you can pay. I have GEHA family high option and they take $139 bi weekly and since that plan does not cover preventive dental I had to add GEHA connection dental federal for an extra $40; in total I'm paying $360 monthly and the insurance is not the greatest, it's just basic; but I can't afford to pay something higher since I have other bills to pay; but some people have told me that blue Cross blue shield has a good coverage

You're probably better off paying dental out of pocket. I have the GEHA hdhp that covers preventive dental. In december i found out I needed $600 in dental work was debating whether to get dental insurance for the next year. I ran the numbers and it wasn't worth paying the premium plus having to still pay 45%.

Edited by user Sunday, January 12, 2020 7:09:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SwampMunkee  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 7:20:06 PM(UTC)
SwampMunkee

United States

Before my ability to post goes away lol I want to say thanks to everyone who responded. I think I’m just gone get the BCBS Basic and see how that goes.

Side note - as I mentioned we don’t have a HR in my office so I really had no clue about there being a small window to get insurance. I was covered under the VA so it wasn’t until after I got married I started looking. I found out too late to use the marriage as a QLE so I started digging seeing what I could find. The HR hotline said I wasn’t eligible. I made full time regular 12-21-19 but since I had been a PTF she said I had already been career so it didn’t count. After looking on liteblue through the things they consider to qualify you I found something. It says change from full time career to part time career or the reverse would make me eligible so that’s the route I’m trying to take. Just wanted to throw that out there if it might help anyone. Never been one to take no for an answer, maybe that attitude will do me some good I was just made shop steward this past week lol. Thanks again everyone for yalls help.
Roger.D  
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 9:10:20 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 1033 time(s) in 799 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 122intheshade Go to Quoted Post
I like the BCBS plan. Normal, not high option. You might as well get the "self plus family" option. Doesn't cost a lot more than the "self plus one", and you'll save a lot of time and paperwork and gnashing of teeth when you want to add the kids later.

Also, don't be afraid to have multiple insurances for your kids. One becomes primary, one secondary. Do your state a favor and insure everyone in your family.

Be aware too, that health insurance has a small dental benefit. But, you should get the extra dental insurance from FedVIP. Aka Benefeds.com

It has been relayed to the people in my office that "self +1" is more expensive than "self +family".

For the NALC plan:
321 Self $87.56
323 Self Plus One $211.31
322 Self & Family $181.15

You will have to decipher the codes for the other plans.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed