Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Unknown User  
#21 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 6:59:32 PM(UTC)
Unknown User

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/20/2016(UTC)
Posts: 50

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: djp Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
Who lives in a town of 30,000? In the year 2020, who imagines they're going to grow up and be employed in the town of 30,000 where they were born, AND be a GS employee? The only ones I can think of are NPS seasonal employees and folks who work for the Postal Service. Everybody else? Not terribly likely.

The Federal Government does not position its worksites to benefit its workforce. It does not benefit the government to be the single employer in an area, for all the real and imagined reasons listed above. If there is a concentration of one agency's jobs in one location it's because the work is in that location - CPB and ICE jobs tend to be near borders. Work at NARA tends to be in one of the 8 NARA main locations. Want to work for the Army? Well, there you've got more range, but it's hardly a matter of each town having a built-in Army employment center.

As has been repeated endlessly, most complaints of favoritism or special preference don't go anywhere because the complaints cannot be supported by fact. And they most certainly can't be supported by rumour, gossip or envy. Apply for the jobs you want and work to be qualified to get them. They probably won't be in your backyard.
I will say that military bases tend to be the major employer in small towns. Alamogordo, NM...Holloman AFB or WSMR. Minot ND...Minot AFB. Panhandle of FL...Pensacola NAS, Eglin AFB, Hurlburt Field, and Tyndall AFB (plus a few other military sites sprinkled around). Yuba City, CA...Beale AFB. And so on.. Hell, Colorado Springs, CO has Peterson AFB, the AF Academy, Ft Carson, Schriever AFB The military tends to place its bases (not always, but many, if not most) in small towns. Cheaper land, less things to mess up if something goes "boom" when it isn't supposed to, etc. So in this locations, I can see family dynasties of federal employment occurring. Some National Guard units I've seen have been really bad in this regard. May not be favoritism, but it does cause a second glance when you see the same name everywhere.



First off...in many cases the bases were there before most people. They didn’t get the land because it was cheap and rural.

The bases were needed in part to have large areas of land for trainingorits sn airport....thus many don’t want yo live near there because of nouse


There has not been a new base created in the continental USA in years other than an air guard unit using a commercial airport.




Yes many of these training bases are large employers in small communities.

As a result of this you have selection priorities like military spouse

In the real world a lot of this has to do with professional network and “ nepotism” of friends hiring friends or peop,e they know well.

As for degrees..history lesson here...


In the mid 80s is when the transition started for many jobs requiring a degree as a preliminary job screener. Those people now in their early 50s and older could work there way up without a bachelors degree.

Is not official practice but in the military you now need to have a masters to get promotion to O5. O5 is about a high 13/low 14 position. Some applying For GS 14 orhigher are going to need a masters or higher unless they know people and have built a reputation. Im not intimated by phDs just as smart as them. In fed govt outside of a few positions or areas, phDs are unnessacery. So do e hiring mgr will ignore applicants even if qualified if they don’t have a masters.









I totally agree with you on this.
Unknown User  
#22 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 7:09:07 PM(UTC)
Unknown User

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/20/2016(UTC)
Posts: 50

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mallen Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Unknown User Go to Quoted Post
I think it just depends on the geographical region, population, and culture. Definitely not upset and not interest in the job. Maybe your office is more scrutinized when it comes to hiring. When you work in an office environment where there are generations of employees who were hired because of favoritism relating to relatives or friends. Then it becomes a big problem, because it becomes part the culture. From working in such environment, why is such behavior allowed?

This happened to me, I applied for a job at my office. I had the education and experience, but hr did not refer my application because they said there was a best qualified candidate. The person turn out she had to experience at all, and knew nothing about the job. I had to train the individual, yet I was told not best qualified.


If this keeps happening, review your resume. There may be some issue that prevents hr from accurately determine your qualifications.



My resume is well written, the problem is the selecting official has establish a friendship with HR Specialist to say can you just refer me John Doe resume. The hr Specialist works directly at the office instead of a centralize federal hr department in another state. I find it strange my application gets referred by out of state hr Specialist for the same position, but mark not qualified with the in town hr Specialist. I am moving to another state for the same job.
Endless Summer  
#23 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2020 2:51:23 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/7/2016(UTC)
Posts: 943

Thanks: 46 times
Was thanked: 215 time(s) in 186 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Unknown User Go to Quoted Post
The one in my hometown requires either a master or Ph.D. I did trying applying in the past base on experience, but hr tells me doesn't meet educational requirements.


I would be interested to see the announcement for that, if you would like to share - either posting of through private message.


Yeah, post a link. Here's what the OPM says about minimum education requirements for the 0200 series...
https://www.opm.gov/poli...-standards/#url=0200-ndx

Spoiler alert, there are no education requirements for any grade or sub series in the 0200 field.

Not trying to be a d%^k, but are your posts an example of your writing, attitude, and general communication skills? Look at the sentence in the above quote, do you not see any problems with it? If your resume is written in the same manner, I can understand why you are not moving up.

Post the link to the job announcement.
thanks 1 user thanked Endless Summer for this useful post.
FS0201 on 1/11/2020(UTC)
FrankJr  
#24 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 8:13:07 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/15/2015(UTC)
Posts: 795
United States

Thanks: 72 times
Was thanked: 121 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
Who lives in a town of 30,000? In the year 2020, who imagines they're going to grow up and be employed in the town of 30,000 where they were born, AND be a GS employee? The only ones I can think of are NPS seasonal employees and folks who work for the Postal Service. Everybody else? Not terribly likely.

The Federal Government does not position its worksites to benefit its workforce. It does not benefit the government to be the single employer in an area, for all the real and imagined reasons listed above. If there is a concentration of one agency's jobs in one location it's because the work is in that location - CPB and ICE jobs tend to be near borders. Work at NARA tends to be in one of the 8 NARA main locations. Want to work for the Army? Well, there you've got more range, but it's hardly a matter of each town having a built-in Army employment center.

As has been repeated endlessly, most complaints of favoritism or special preference don't go anywhere because the complaints cannot be supported by fact. And they most certainly can't be supported by rumour, gossip or envy. Apply for the jobs you want and work to be qualified to get them. They probably won't be in your backyard.


The federal government does position its work sites to benefit the politicians; and in turn the constituents of the politicians.

Complaints of favoritism don't go anywhere due to the retaliation associated with the complaints of favoritism. Be it public sector or private sector, the investigations of corruption in the workplaces focus solely on the likely outcome in a court case. Nothing more detrimental to the process than a judgement to the disadvantage of the employer. Few have both the time and the money to pursue the issue and the employer is well aware of the predicament for the employee.
ninem  
#25 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 2:14:05 PM(UTC)
ninem

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/31/2019(UTC)
Posts: 2
United States

Originally Posted by: djp Go to Quoted Post

...
Is not official practice but in the military you now need to have a masters to get promotion to O5. O5 is about a high 13/low 14 position. Some applying For GS 14 orhigher are going to need a masters or higher unless they know people and have built a reputation. Im not intimated by phDs just as smart as them. In fed govt outside of a few positions or areas, phDs are unnessacery. So do e hiring mgr will ignore applicants even if qualified if they don’t have a masters.


For anyone reading this and looking for jobs in the 2210 series, it probably doesn't apply as much as in other job series. I've received several GS-14 offers and my only education is a bachelors from a barely accredited degree mill. The government hurts for good tech talent because you can make twice+ as much in the private sector
mallen  
#26 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 3:26:15 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/14/2009(UTC)
Posts: 709

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Unknown User Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mallen Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Unknown User Go to Quoted Post
I think it just depends on the geographical region, population, and culture. Definitely not upset and not interest in the job. Maybe your office is more scrutinized when it comes to hiring. When you work in an office environment where there are generations of employees who were hired because of favoritism relating to relatives or friends. Then it becomes a big problem, because it becomes part the culture. From working in such environment, why is such behavior allowed?

This happened to me, I applied for a job at my office. I had the education and experience, but hr did not refer my application because they said there was a best qualified candidate. The person turn out she had to experience at all, and knew nothing about the job. I had to train the individual, yet I was told not best qualified.


If this keeps happening, review your resume. There may be some issue that prevents hr from accurately determine your qualifications.



My resume is well written, the problem is the selecting official has establish a friendship with HR Specialist to say can you just refer me John Doe resume. The hr Specialist works directly at the office instead of a centralize federal hr department in another state. I find it strange my application gets referred by out of state hr Specialist for the same position, but mark not qualified with the in town hr Specialist. I am moving to another state for the same job.


There are avenues that you can persue. I don't know how its Done in your agency, but when I was at DOL, I could send complaints to our agencies inspector general. If the abuse was really as eggregious as you say, it would be literally trivial to substantiate. All they would have to do is look at the pool of applicants, and they could see. But most especially if they emailed each other about their conspiracy. But it might also turn up that these people WERE actually more qualified. If that happened, they wouldn't tell you any details and you would simply think "they got away with it" and OIG is useless. Maybe you don't know about that person's disability they got in the military, because that's protected information. Or the agreement when they sued the agency over sex or racial discrimination, and the settlement that gave them priority in the hiring process.

Unknown User  
#27 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 3:33:46 PM(UTC)
Unknown User

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/20/2016(UTC)
Posts: 50

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I heard rumors from my agency, that some of the hr specialist will refer applicants just because of their name and not their qualifications.

What happens if your resume is written substantially well, but your name is foreign that is affiliated with a not so popular religion such as Muslim. Are there HR Specialist that discriminate against people because of there name?
Unknown User  
#28 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 3:40:46 PM(UTC)
Unknown User

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/20/2016(UTC)
Posts: 50

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mallen Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Unknown User Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mallen Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Unknown User Go to Quoted Post
I think it just depends on the geographical region, population, and culture. Definitely not upset and not interest in the job. Maybe your office is more scrutinized when it comes to hiring. When you work in an office environment where there are generations of employees who were hired because of favoritism relating to relatives or friends. Then it becomes a big problem, because it becomes part the culture. From working in such environment, why is such behavior allowed?

This happened to me, I applied for a job at my office. I had the education and experience, but hr did not refer my application because they said there was a best qualified candidate. The person turn out she had to experience at all, and knew nothing about the job. I had to train the individual, yet I was told not best qualified.


If this keeps happening, review your resume. There may be some issue that prevents hr from accurately determine your qualifications.



My resume is well written, the problem is the selecting official has establish a friendship with HR Specialist to say can you just refer me John Doe resume. The hr Specialist works directly at the office instead of a centralize federal hr department in another state. I find it strange my application gets referred by out of state hr Specialist for the same position, but mark not qualified with the in town hr Specialist. I am moving to another state for the same job.


There are avenues that you can persue. I don't know how its Done in your agency, but when I was at DOL, I could send complaints to our agencies inspector general. If the abuse was really as eggregious as you say, it would be literally trivial to substantiate. All they would have to do is look at the pool of applicants, and they could see. But most especially if they emailed each other about their conspiracy. But it might also turn up that these people WERE actually more qualified. If that happened, they wouldn't tell you any details and you would simply think "they got away with it" and OIG is useless. Maybe you don't know about that person's disability they got in the military, because that's protected information. Or the agreement when they sued the agency over sex or racial discrimination, and the settlement that gave them priority in the hiring process.



Excellent point...If that is the case an agency shouldnt be advertising a job that is open to us citizen or multiple merit promotions that includes former or current federal employees, disability, reinstatement to hire a relative or friend. If there was truly settlement limit the announcement to PPP applicants then other candidates don't waste their time applying. I don't think I will pursue anything because many of you pointed out excellent advice. I think even though it might be true or false, it's hard to prove. Even those you try to prove in-house hiring, their argument would be we hired the best qualified candidate.

My theory is kind of turn a blind, and don't say anything about it. Just keep on applying, hopefully one day will be your lucky number. I am already in my dream GS job, but in another state.

Sorry for opening up a can of worm, but I think this is good information for people to understand what goes on in the hiring. I do agree there is fair hiring in federal government, and I was surprised 90% of my job offer came from large cities.

I think most importantly for those trying to get your foot in door read the job announcement very carefully. There are certain key words that make it sound like they have the announcement written for someone. Also search Facebook for the link, you would be surprised that selecting official targeting to hire one of their forgot to make their post private and their post shows up public search query.

Edited by user Sunday, January 12, 2020 4:15:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DaVinci95  
#29 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 7:28:10 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/4/2014(UTC)
Posts: 305
United States

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Keep in mind that there is no Congressionally-mandated requirement to hire the absolute "best qualified" candidate. Unless the agency mandates some kind of scoring system, the hiring official can hire anyone off of the cert for any reason, provided it doesn't violate prohibited practices and that the candidate has in fact met the minimum requirements for the position (HR does occasionally let unqualified candidates slip through). They don't have to compare who has the most or highest degrees. They don't have to measure who has spent the most time in the series. So even if you have a PhD and 10 years more experience than the selectee, you would still have to prove that your exclusion was due to a prohibited practice or that the candidate doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

Personal experience and recommendations can play a factor. I have worked with several people that I would hire in a heartbeat without looking at anyone else on the cert. I have also worked with a few that I would not hire even if they were the only name on the cert. If someone on my staff recommended a candidate I'd take it into consideration. I wouldn't put much weight behind a familial connection, but I could see how that might play differently in a small town facility. As frustrating as it may be for the unconnected candidates, as long as the family member has met the minimum requirements and made the cert they are eligible to be hired.

Edited by user Monday, January 13, 2020 7:28:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

djp  
#30 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 6:14:55 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/11/2013(UTC)
Posts: 979

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 140 time(s) in 137 post(s)
Another side issue.....

In smaller cities and the agency is the only game in town or the big fish you get a culture of cliques and friends of friends

Previously I worked at a VA hospital in an administrative position. A few things I saw...

Background—the city mainly had the VA and two other hospitals. One of them thry had acontract with for specialty referrals. The hospital was a lower level godpital that couldn’t handle stroke patients for example so they would go to the private hospital. When stabilized they would transfer to VA for care

1 in specialty area people in VA knew the other people at the other hospitals doing the same thing. For some to help grow their career would go in VA hit a ceiling thrn go private fir 3 yrs then come back by passing an employee who is anchored in a position till retirement. People know a lot of others in the application process...both good and bad.

2 cliques form. I came as an outsider who wasn’t from the area and didn’t know the people who were working there for 10-20 years and from don’t want to change how things were done. This is also a driver in locals who come in. If they don’t fit in they leave. People who come in plan to be there till retirement just working there way up.


#2 is common with other agencies when it comes to change...the middle management level. They feel they can hold out because senior leadership tend to move on in 3 yrs. thus new leadership will com in with new ideas do why bother changing.

I’ve also had jobs that were created by national HQ imposed on lower level.

In agencies you have a national HQ, 6-10 regional offices, then 20+ area offices. The job was at the area office level and I was looked at asan outsider the clique which caused problems. My job had regular communication with regional and HQ when the office was generally autonomous outside of the director of the area . Some kind of looked at me as a spy.







Exit7A  
#31 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 8:50:16 PM(UTC)
Exit7A

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/27/2015(UTC)
Posts: 696
United States
Location: Area 51

Thanks: 13 times
Was thanked: 160 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Unknown User Go to Quoted Post
I heard rumors from my agency, that some of the hr specialist will refer applicants just because of their name and not their qualifications.

What happens if your resume is written substantially well, but your name is foreign that is affiliated with a not so popular religion such as Muslim. Are there HR Specialist that discriminate against people because of there name?


What??!!?! Government hires from all backgrounds. What agency is this from??
That's all I got to say about that.
mallen  
#32 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 10:33:51 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/14/2009(UTC)
Posts: 709

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Unknown User Go to Quoted Post
I heard rumors from my agency, that some of the hr specialist will refer applicants just because of their name and not their qualifications.

What happens if your resume is written substantially well, but your name is foreign that is affiliated with a not so popular religion such as Muslim. Are there HR Specialist that discriminate against people because of there name?


Probably. If it's the hiring manafer though,at least theres a silver lining. Would you really want to work for him unless there were no other jobs, because i imagine he'd probably make it a living hell. The only upside to it might be that perhaps you could make his life similarly unpleasant. If it's the hr person, then it would be hard to even know. But at there's one thing in your favor. Most of them, whether they are bigots of not, probably don't care enough to bother discriminating. One question is, do they even see the names. Many companies nowadays strip names off because they can identify gender and race, and by taking steps to ensure a gender and race BLK d process they create a level of protection against claims if discrimination in the hiring process.

Edited by user Monday, January 13, 2020 10:43:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tic32003  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 9:10:19 AM(UTC)
tic32003

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/10/2019(UTC)
Posts: 25
United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Unknown User Go to Quoted Post

This happened to me, I applied for a job at my office. I had the education and experience, but hr did not refer my application because they said there was a best qualified candidate. The person turn out she had to experience at all, and knew nothing about the job.


The ONLY thing this shows is that you need to work on your resume and tailor to the specific vacancy announcement. Nothing more, nothing less.
mallen  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 9:23:57 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/14/2009(UTC)
Posts: 709

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
No experience? Don't you hate it when they hire them straight out of the clone vat, still dripping on the carpet, with the umbilical still attached.....
Endless Summer  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 10:08:35 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/7/2016(UTC)
Posts: 943

Thanks: 46 times
Was thanked: 215 time(s) in 186 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mallen Go to Quoted Post
No experience? Don't you hate it when they hire them straight out of the clone vat, still dripping on the carpet, with the umbilical still attached.....


Actually it was "to experience" I'm deducting one point for reading comprehension.

Of course, it could have meant "Too experienced" which would have made just as much sense.
Unknown User  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 11:01:13 AM(UTC)
Unknown User

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/20/2016(UTC)
Posts: 50

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I just find it comical that I got picked up for a GS-11 Biologist job out of state, but for some reason another agency HR department thinks I am not qualified or lacks education for a GS-5 Biological Science Technician job in my home state. I would rather take a low paying job, than having to move elsewhere. I already know about the natural resource concerns in my hometown, so I wouldn't have to spend time learning about another state concerns.

One of the workers who used to work as a contractor, he has no veteran preference. He just drove our company vehicle, and slept in the office because he was homeless. Somehow he is qualified referred and gets hired, and hr tells me not qualified and lacks education.

I seen this many times, do you think its ethical for selecting official to give there friend a resume and tell them to change the name on it to get the job?

Edited by user Tuesday, January 14, 2020 11:24:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frankgonzalez  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 12:24:43 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)
Posts: 5,323

Thanks: 81 times
Was thanked: 1013 time(s) in 804 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Unknown User Go to Quoted Post
I just find it comical that I got picked up for a GS-11 Biologist job out of state, but for some reason another agency HR department thinks I am not qualified or lacks education for a GS-5 Biological Science Technician job in my home state. I would rather take a low paying job, than having to move elsewhere. I already know about the natural resource concerns in my hometown, so I wouldn't have to spend time learning about another state concerns.

One of the workers who used to work as a contractor, he has no veteran preference. He just drove our company vehicle, and slept in the office because he was homeless. Somehow he is qualified referred and gets hired, and hr tells me not qualified and lacks education.

I seen this many times, do you think its ethical for selecting official to give there friend a resume and tell them to change the name on it to get the job?
Sounds like you need a better resume if, as according to you, a homeless driver was able to be referred and hired while you were deemed not qualified. A note on the education piece...if you simply say you have a degree, you will find that you may not be referred. The education piece requires you tell us the specific courses related to the job. Can HR make mistakes? Absolutely. Do applicants leave out critical information? More often than HR making mistakes.

If I am hiring an Electrical Engineer, the first requirement is an Engineering degree. They also need classes in electrical engineering whether as part of their "Engineering Degree" or as additional courses taken after they got their degree.

The same is true in many other jobs where a degree is required. In others, simply having a degree in the general field is all that is needed. Others require the degree and specialized certification.

And then there are many jobs where experience or specialized training/certification is all that is needed (such as in my series, 0260).

In all the cases though, the resume has to spell it out for the HR person who doesn't know what the job requires beyond the OPM standards and what the selecting official has provided to them. If I am hiring a computer programmer to work with my legacy FORTRAN code base, and you don't have FORTRAN listed anywhere in your resume, you may not make it far in the process. If you put it in there and are lying, we will pick it up in the resume review (the context you use a skill set doesn't match up with what the experts think)or if you make it to the interview and can't articulate the skill set..then off to the discard pile.

Even if I know you had to have used a specific computer program (for example MS Word), if you don't say it in the resume, you don't get credit for it.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Unknown User  
#38 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 2:32:05 PM(UTC)
Unknown User

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/20/2016(UTC)
Posts: 50

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Unknown User Go to Quoted Post
I just find it comical that I got picked up for a GS-11 Biologist job out of state, but for some reason another agency HR department thinks I am not qualified or lacks education for a GS-5 Biological Science Technician job in my home state. I would rather take a low paying job, than having to move elsewhere. I already know about the natural resource concerns in my hometown, so I wouldn't have to spend time learning about another state concerns.

One of the workers who used to work as a contractor, he has no veteran preference. He just drove our company vehicle, and slept in the office because he was homeless. Somehow he is qualified referred and gets hired, and hr tells me not qualified and lacks education.

I seen this many times, do you think its ethical for selecting official to give there friend a resume and tell them to change the name on it to get the job?
Sounds like you need a better resume if, as according to you, a homeless driver was able to be referred and hired while you were deemed not qualified. A note on the education piece...if you simply say you have a degree, you will find that you may not be referred. The education piece requires you tell us the specific courses related to the job. Can HR make mistakes? Absolutely. Do applicants leave out critical information? More often than HR making mistakes.

If I am hiring an Electrical Engineer, the first requirement is an Engineering degree. They also need classes in electrical engineering whether as part of their "Engineering Degree" or as additional courses taken after they got their degree.

The same is true in many other jobs where a degree is required. In others, simply having a degree in the general field is all that is needed. Others require the degree and specialized certification.

And then there are many jobs where experience or specialized training/certification is all that is needed (such as in my series, 0260).

In all the cases though, the resume has to spell it out for the HR person who doesn't know what the job requires beyond the OPM standards and what the selecting official has provided to them. If I am hiring a computer programmer to work with my legacy FORTRAN code base, and you don't have FORTRAN listed anywhere in your resume, you may not make it far in the process. If you put it in there and are lying, we will pick it up in the resume review (the context you use a skill set doesn't match up with what the experts think)or if you make it to the interview and can't articulate the skill set..then off to the discard pile.

Even if I know you had to have used a specific computer program (for example MS Word), if you don't say it in the resume, you don't get credit for it.



Excellent point...the person who got selected, used a resume that the selecting official gave to him. I have everything stated in my resume, education, and courses. All the key words, I get referred all the time with Agency A and not referred with Agency B for the same positions. Except Agency A hasnt had any openings for a while. The job isn't one of those were it doesn't require specialized courses. It just states you need the education.

Haha...I just got referred for managerial position with a scientific resume.

Thank you Frank for your wisdom :)

Edited by user Tuesday, January 14, 2020 2:36:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mallen  
#39 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 11:17:19 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/14/2009(UTC)
Posts: 709

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Unknown User Go to Quoted Post
I just find it comical that I got picked up for a GS-11 Biologist job out of state, but for some reason another agency HR department thinks I am not qualified or lacks education for a GS-5 Biological Science Technician job in my home state. I would rather take a low paying job, than having to move elsewhere. I already know about the natural resource concerns in my hometown, so I wouldn't have to spend time learning about another state concerns.

One of the workers who used to work as a contractor, he has no veteran preference. He just drove our company vehicle, and slept in the office because he was homeless. Somehow he is qualified referred and gets hired, and hr tells me not qualified and lacks education.

I seen this many times, do you think its ethical for selecting official to give there friend a resume and tell them to change the name on it to get the job?


There's usually an IG or some such. If you know of an employee who used a fraudulent resume to get the job, report it. It's not hard for an investigator to prove. But there's on obvious question. How do YOU know. Was this person just dumb enough to tell you this?

Edited by user Tuesday, January 14, 2020 11:22:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Unknown User  
#40 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2020 7:10:27 AM(UTC)
Unknown User

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/20/2016(UTC)
Posts: 50

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
We work in cubicles, small room but everything echoes in the room. I am not upset about situation, and this type of hiring goes on in my town. I disagree that this occurs. If it's an entry level position the job is most likely save for a relative or friend. It is just part of the culture for decades where I live at.

Edited by user Wednesday, January 15, 2020 7:32:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages<123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.640 seconds.