Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LongWheel  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 6:03:34 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
When the job ad says "Travel Required X% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.", does this *typically* include any type of travel (like to any state in the US even if it on the opposite side of the country) or foreign travel to other continents, i.e., not local travel? Basically, can the employer send you anywhere in the world they want given the total time of the TDY is X% or less?

Does the employer typically have to disclose foreign travel in their USAJOBS ads (i.e., not everybody would want to take a job that would require foreign travel or a lot of travel to other states, i.e. time away from the family) ahead of time (vs clarify that after the start date)?
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 5:17:01 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1069 time(s) in 850 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LongWheel Go to Quoted Post
When the job ad says "Travel Required X% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.", does this *typically* include any type of travel (like to any state in the US even if it on the opposite side of the country) or foreign travel to other continents, i.e., not local travel? Basically, can the employer send you anywhere in the world they want given the total time of the TDY is X% or less?

Does the employer typically have to disclose foreign travel in their USAJOBS ads (i.e., not everybody would want to take a job that would require foreign travel or a lot of travel to other states, i.e. time away from the family) ahead of time (vs clarify that after the start date)?

They said the job can require travel, and so plan on travelling on occasion. If it is international, they should be issuing you an official gov passport (vs a personal one). Local travel (e within 50 miles of the worksite) is typically not considered "travel" as identified in job announcements.

In my job..I have traveled to other locations for training (to give and to get), to do mediation, and to do investigations or organizational assessments. Some trips have been a day or two, some have been a couple of weeks. All my positions were advertised as 25% or less for travel. I probably travel about 10% of the time.

That said, that % is an estimate, and once someone is in the position it could change based on the mission and staffing and could change to be more or less. I've seen people go from travelling to a conference once a year to suddenly being out on the road every other week because of staff losses and mission needs. I've also seen the opposite...someone took a job because of the travel, and it dried up after a while as the agency was able to hire more people around the world and so needed fewer people travelling and less often (and they were not happy about that! When they lived on PBJ and ramen in their hotel, they got to bank a lot of their per diem...which is tax free and they began to rely on it to pay their bills).

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
DaVinci95  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 6:19:41 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 80 post(s)
It depends on the position. Some announcements include the 25% travel just to cover the occasional training conference with no travel expected as part of the actual duties. Others will require regular monthly travel. However, that 25% isn't a hard ceiling that management can't exceed if the mission requires it. Like Frank said, circumstances could change to where they need to send you on the road more frequently. If the announcement doesn't explicitly state the nature of the travel, you should ask about it in the interview (if you get that far).
FrankJr  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2020 8:29:16 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 116 post(s)
The interview is a good opportunity to determine the level of travel. Proceed with caution, though. I am fond of travel and state as such during the interviews but most hiring managers don't believe me. Most people don't like to travel for work.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed