Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Workers' Compensation

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

Here is a forum for members to share and exchange experiences regarding to workers' compensation related issues.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
turnall  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 9:07:30 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I'm just curious- I just got one of those emails from linkedin telling me who's looked at my profile and one person was shown as being an "Investigative Analyst at Department of Labor; GS-1805"- he's based out of Florida it looks like, which isn't where my case is managed since I'm west coast, but this was a little unsettling. When I did some contract work for the Dept of Social Security, I know they were forbidden from looking at social media sites when deciding on applications for SSDI and I thought the federal government in general had some regulations about not using social media. But now I'm feeling paranoid that they're doing some sort of investigation on me. I'm on DR now so not on OWCP roles for payments of any kind, but I do still have an open injury case, for medical care. I did just compose a request for my file to mail off tomorrow, to see what's gone on with it recently, but is there anything else anyone would suggest doing? Or should I just chill out about it?
TheRealOrange  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2020 4:14:20 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 143 post(s)
Originally Posted by: turnall Go to Quoted Post
I'm just curious- I just got one of those emails from linkedin telling me who's looked at my profile and one person was shown as being an "Investigative Analyst at Department of Labor; GS-1805"- he's based out of Florida it looks like, which isn't where my case is managed since I'm west coast, but this was a little unsettling. When I did some contract work for the Dept of Social Security, I know they were forbidden from looking at social media sites when deciding on applications for SSDI and I thought the federal government in general had some regulations about not using social media. But now I'm feeling paranoid that they're doing some sort of investigation on me. I'm on DR now so not on OWCP roles for payments of any kind, but I do still have an open injury case, for medical care. I did just compose a request for my file to mail off tomorrow, to see what's gone on with it recently, but is there anything else anyone would suggest doing? Or should I just chill out about it?

I'm certainly not an expert, but I am not aware of any federal regulations that would prevent any investigator, federal or otherwise, from accessing information that is publicly available on social media. In fact, I understand that there have been several instances in which workers’ comp claims were denied because photographs or other social media information indicated that the person asserting a disability was engaging in activities that would be impossible to perform if the person actually had the claimed disability. I believe one case involved a package handler who, despite an alleged disability, posted on social media about a sport he was playing. While I do not think the Social Security Administration (and perhaps other agencies with similar responsibilities) uses social media in making disability determinations, the agency has stated that its investigative units do use social media when potential fraud is being investigated. So, when the SSA's data analytics and/or predictive modeling detect potential fraud, its investigative units may look at social media as a source of evidence of the fraud. As far as what's legal, I believe that social media information is generally considered to be admissible evidence for legal proceedings. That is, evidence gathered through publicly available social media is treated essentially the same as evidence gathered by any other means. I suppose the issue comes down to the relevance of the evidence to the specific case, and the details of its collection, but the fact that the evidence was gathered through social media does not mean that it is not legally viable.

DaVinci95  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2020 5:57:26 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 86 post(s)
I get connection recommendations from LinkedIn all the time for other people in the Federal government, which I usually ignore. It's possible that you're being investigated but it's at least as likely that you popped up on this guy's recommendations and he took a look to see if you were someone worth linking.
OBE17  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2020 6:43:59 AM(UTC)
OBE17

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Exactly the reason why I cancelled my Facebook account just last month. It's easy to do but it takes a month. They close access to it immediately but they allow the owner to reconsider. It closes altogether after 30 days. I was very active. I used-to think to myself..."Man! you are really putting a lot of information up that anyone can access!" I was big into photos and family history, political opinions, and all sorts of very dangerous personal data. In this age of identity theft, we should not be posting all that personal info.

Think to yourself...those questions websites ask as a way to confirm it's really you...we put all the answers to those questions on FB! At least I did.

As for investigators...I have "caught" PIs on two occasions spying on me at my home. They read what we write on HERE, too! Think about it...wouldn't YOU? They are after me right-now! They wanna get me off the rolls because I'm beyond retirement age. They're going after anybody who is.

But Facebook is a treasure trove of information freely volunteered by ourselves. They don't have to invest any time or travel, they merely run your name (it's difficult to open a FB account using a pseudo name)

There are a ton of reasons why we should all quit Facebook!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed