Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cban28  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 9:57:25 AM(UTC)
Cban28

Groups: Registered

Just spent about a half hour trying to find some information. I was taught when I started 3 years ago that you can wear a normal tee or sweatshirt, as long as it wasn't obscene, in the office before you hit the street. Is this written in stone somewhere?
Roger.D  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 10:05:21 AM(UTC)
Roger.D

United States

Was thanked: 816 time(s) in 641 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cban28 Go to Quoted Post
Just spent about a half hour trying to find some information. I was taught when I started 3 years ago that you can wear a normal tee or sweatshirt, as long as it wasn't obscene, in the office before you hit the street. Is this written in stone somewhere?

No.
Seadogg  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 10:15:20 AM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 583 time(s) in 393 post(s)

No. But I do see clerks wearing obscene shirts and MGMT does nothing. For some reason their attention is always on the carriers.
Cban28  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 10:58:09 AM(UTC)
Cban28

Great response Roger

Seadogg, is there writing somewhere that I can print out? Our postmasters a J/O and would love to throw it in his face
PhaseIVDBCS  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 11:09:35 AM(UTC)
PhaseIVDBCS

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 56 post(s)
We had a mail handler at our plant stopped from clocking in for wearing platform shoes, fishnet stockings, leather miniskirt and low-cut top. Supervisor told him that even though it was Halloween, those receiving a uniform allowance under https://about.usps.com/m...s/elm/html/elmc9_013.htm were required to wear it because even though he looked hot, we were not wearing costumes.
Roger.D  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 11:16:55 AM(UTC)
Roger.D

United States

Was thanked: 816 time(s) in 641 post(s)
Great response Roger

Seadogg, is there writing somewhere that I can print out? Our postmasters a J/O and would love to throw it in his face

You want something in writing that does not exist?

ETA: Your local management previously allowed it. Now they don't. File a grievance for "past practice" if you think there is a chance of winning it. I give it a 99% chance that your NBA will not take to case if it goes that far.

There are carriers in my office that don't wear a uniform shirt in the office. And some outside the office. A PM told a carrier he had to put a uniform shirt on when he went to the street. The carriers said it didn't matter as he would have a USPS jacket on. The PM turned and walked away.

Edited by user Thursday, January 16, 2020 11:21:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Roger.D for this useful post.
WorkingTitle3484 on 1/16/2020(UTC)
Your NBA  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 2:05:12 PM(UTC)
Your NBA

Was thanked: 1311 time(s) in 900 post(s)

An argument could be made that not wearing it would also be obscene.
stillstuckhere  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 8:02:28 PM(UTC)
stillstuckhere

Was thanked: 246 time(s) in 180 post(s)

Assuming you're a carrier(or CCA).
https://about.usps.com/manuals/elm/html/elmc9_010.htm in part states, "932.11 Regular Uniforms
Employees in the following categories meeting the following conditions wear the prescribed uniform while performing their duties:
City letter carriers and clerk/special delivery messengers whose tours of duty during the course of a year average 4 hours or more per day performing carrier or special delivery duties."
https://about.usps.com/manuals/elm/html/elmc9_009.htmhttps://about.usps.com/manuals/elm/html/elmc9_009.htm states in part,
"931.23 Personal Appearance
Supervisors are responsible for continually observing the uniforms of employees and taking appropriate corrective action, when necessary, to ensure employees are properly attired."
and
"931.25 Responsibility of Installation Heads
Installation heads:
Post a list of uniform items authorized for the installation. The list indicates those items that are required and those that are optional to the employee.
Enforce all uniform allowance regulations and prevents abuses.
Make all rules and regulations governing uniform clothing and accessory purchases readily accessible to all employees and vendors.
Human thought is so primitive it's looked upon as an infectious disease in some of the better galaxies. That kind of makes you proud, doesn't it? huh?---MIB
MPE2009  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 5:02:10 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 516 time(s) in 402 post(s)

You obviously have a burr under your mattress and wish to prove a point to your manager. So what exactly are you trying to accomplish? In general if you have a uniform allowance, you are required to be in uniform. Some facilities allow more leeway than others. So if you were to explain what it is your peeved about (background story maybe) and trying to accomplish, you might receive a more relevant answer to your questions.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed