Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

57 Pages«<5051525354>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stillbliss  
#1021 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2019 4:28:20 PM(UTC)
stillbliss

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NjAgS19 Go to Quoted Post
Stillbliss, when did you apply? 2018 or 2019?
I am 19-1 and still waiting for BI to complete.

September 2018

BAP1015  
#1022 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:57:20 PM(UTC)
BAP1015

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stillbliss Go to Quoted Post
I just passed all my pre-employment stuff. I received a call and an email today that I need to respond within two days. From what I have learned on this forum, I will now be put on a list and I need to pick an area I would like to work.

It seems that if they do not offer me my desired locations, I can defer. I'm wondering, how many times can you do that before they don't call you anymore?

I believe you can only defer once and there’s no guarantee on what the choices will be either time.
stillbliss  
#1023 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2019 10:26:18 AM(UTC)
stillbliss

United States

Originally Posted by: BAP1015 Go to Quoted Post
I just passed all my pre-employment stuff. I received a call and an email today that I need to respond within two days. From what I have learned on this forum, I will now be put on a list and I need to pick an area I would like to work.

It seems that if they do not offer me my desired locations, I can defer. I'm wondering, how many times can you do that before they don't call you anymore?

I believe you can only defer once and there’s no guarantee on what the choices will be either time.

They just told me I cannot defer at all. If I turn down this offer, my file is closed.
stillbliss  
#1024 Posted : Friday, December 13, 2019 5:41:50 AM(UTC)
stillbliss

United States

I accepted a position in Miami. Does any one know:

1) How many days do you have between your couple weeks in your port assignment and your start date in MD? Would it just be the weekend?

2) How many days between finishing up in GA and starting at your port? If just the weekend, that doesn't give much time to find housing!

3) I assume I can't have my dog and cat with me at either MD or GA. Correct?

4) Can I be off any days without pay between my current agency and CBP without losing 'time in service'?
Leaver  
#1025 Posted : Friday, December 13, 2019 12:46:08 PM(UTC)
Leaver

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I accepted a position in Miami. Does any one know:

1) How many days do you have between your couple weeks in your port assignment and your start date in MD? Would it just be the weekend?

2) How many days between finishing up in GA and starting at your port? If just the weekend, that doesn't give much time to find housing!

3) I assume I can't have my dog and cat with me at either MD or GA. Correct?

4) Can I be off any days without pay between my current agency and CBP without losing 'time in service'?

1 - Not much time between when your pre-academy training at your port ends, and your academy date begins... usually just 2 or 3 days for travel. But you might be able to arrange something longer with your port, so it's worth asking them.
2 - Same answer when it comes to ending your training at FLETC and your report date back at your POE. Again, you might be able to arrange something more extended with your port, but usually it's a long weekend.
3 - Correct... no pets during your training at the PDC in MD and FLETC in GA.
4 - If you are currently employed in the govt. with another agency, I'm sure you can arrange to take some leave before your report date with CBP. You have the regular options of taking annual leave, but if you don't have any, then you can request LWOP. Regardless, there should be no "break in service" between you end date with the current agency and your start date with CBP.

Hope this helps.

thanks 1 user thanked Leaver for this useful post.
stillbliss on 12/19/2019(UTC)
AgSpecTX  
#1026 Posted : Sunday, December 15, 2019 7:12:45 AM(UTC)
AgSpecTX

United States

Originally Posted by: txmustang Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: AgSpecTX Go to Quoted Post
So i finally got my offer. I begin at my port on March 18 and report to training April 2-July 10. Anyone else get the call for those dates?

Interested in what port you were offered and took?

I'm from Texas also and put for the southwest region.

I PM'ed you.
Jrvg2002  
#1027 Posted : Wednesday, December 18, 2019 12:58:07 PM(UTC)
Jrvg2002

United States

Did anyone's app percentage go down after they've been selected and given the location and start date to report and for the training academy?
stillbliss  
#1028 Posted : Wednesday, December 18, 2019 1:09:37 PM(UTC)
stillbliss

United States

Originally Posted by: Jrvg2002 Go to Quoted Post
Did anyone's app percentage go down after they've been selected and given the location and start date to report and for the training academy?

Yes! It appears that they opened up my eQip as that shows not completed again. I have been a little concerned.
What date and port did you pick?

Today, my percentage is back up and eQip shows as completed.

Edited by user Thursday, December 19, 2019 6:50:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked stillbliss for this useful post.
Jrvg2002 on 12/28/2019(UTC)
Jrvg2002  
#1029 Posted : Saturday, December 28, 2019 2:01:53 PM(UTC)
Jrvg2002

United States

You are right! It's back up. I've been waiting for so long I almost can't believe it. The percentage is back up so all seems well. Now I'm just waiting for that letter.

Thanks for your answer, BTW. I'm going to San Juan, apparently...
Lilbandit89  
#1030 Posted : Saturday, December 28, 2019 2:18:33 PM(UTC)
Lilbandit89

United States

Greetings!!

I applied for AGS back in September of 2018 and got the call about 2 weeks ago. Class starts in March 2020 and I’m headed to Miami! Wanted to join the forum and touch bases with anyone else in my class and answer any questions if I can. This will be my 4th agency so I might have a little bit of insight into the government hiring process
Lilbandit89  
#1031 Posted : Saturday, December 28, 2019 3:24:06 PM(UTC)
Lilbandit89

United States

Replying to stillbliss,

Try your best to talk with you HR to and your superiors to see if they can give you time off before you switch agencies. I break in service isn’t necessary a bad thing, but it does make some things, like getting your benefits and your leave category transferred over, a little more complicated...

Edited by user Saturday, December 28, 2019 3:25:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MD18-1  
#1032 Posted : Wednesday, January 1, 2020 4:58:16 PM(UTC)
MD18-1

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hey guys so I'm in training now in Frederick, MD just wanna keep in touch since I am here now, if you can bring a laptop you may need it for studying for 1 of the exams (study back at the hotel), I'm on my 5th week here, hoping to make it!
You can have guest here with you, or have someone with you the whole duration while you are here in MD, I wanted no distractions so my family is not visiting.
There is exams I have to study hours, but there are people that you never see studying in the lab room downstairs by the lobby, Ill keep you guys posted ! Good luck

Edited by user Wednesday, January 1, 2020 5:00:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked MD18-1 for this useful post.
NjAgS19 on 1/2/2020(UTC)
BAP1015  
#1033 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2020 7:48:23 AM(UTC)
BAP1015

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tx18-1 Go to Quoted Post
Hey guys so I'm in training now in Frederick, MD just wanna keep in touch since I am here now, if you can bring a laptop you may need it for studying for 1 of the exams (study back at the hotel), I'm on my 5th week here, hoping to make it!
You can have guest here with you, or have someone with you the whole duration while you are here in MD, I wanted no distractions so my family is not visiting.
There is exams I have to study hours, but there are people that you never see studying in the lab room downstairs by the lobby, Ill keep you guys posted ! Good luck

How many exams are there and what percentage do you have to pass with? Also, do we get our own rooms or do we have to share?

Edited by user Thursday, January 2, 2020 7:52:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MD18-1  
#1034 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2020 6:50:26 PM(UTC)
MD18-1

United States

There is 10 exams total....Yes you get your own rooms when your in MD at the hotel so its nice they have a small kitchen too in each room, depending which hotel you stay in some groups stay at the Hilton or you can stay at the Mariott, but you have access to govt vehicles when you are here the whole time so you can go grab food, run some errands, or go explore. There is too much too study I find so I stay grounded most of the time, it can be challenging if you have not been exposed to some of this material. You have to pass with an 80% here in MD & in Georgia its a 70%. Here in MD it is crucial you pass or you will be sent back home :(
Hope that helps
thanks 4 users thanked MD18-1 for this useful post.
BAP1015 on 1/2/2020(UTC), le_ags on 1/2/2020(UTC), NjAgS19 on 1/2/2020(UTC), ohio_AGS18 on 1/3/2020(UTC)
ohio_AGS18  
#1035 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2020 7:26:21 PM(UTC)
ohio_AGS18

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Can you mention some of the material that is covered? Is it mostly taxonomy and Identification?
MD18-1  
#1036 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2020 1:11:29 PM(UTC)
MD18-1

United States

USDA gives you all the material you need (powerpoint, books) even the material you need to study back at the hotel, so I would say you don't have to study anything prior to coming here, on another note make sure you bring business attire when you go to your port for the 2 weeks prior to going to MD, & the per diem for food is $61 a day while in MD.
thanks 1 user thanked MD18-1 for this useful post.
NjAgS19 on 1/10/2020(UTC)
MD18-1  
#1037 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2020 8:52:47 AM(UTC)
MD18-1

United States

So the attire you wear in MD is kind of like a uniform so they provide a jacket, some pants, shirts, a new back pack so you can wear everyday while in MD attending training M-F. You are in MD for 7 wks then Georgia for another 7 wks, I leave next thursday January 30th, 2020 to Georgia, the $61 per diem/per day is what you get for food while in MD we have been here 6 wks in MD & none of us have received that Per diem check so they are running WAY behind. So you have to buy food on your own in the mean time, or you can cook in your room (meal prep...etc...).
je123  
#1038 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2020 5:22:11 AM(UTC)
je123

can anyone give some insight as to how they offer certain ports. Is there any preference given at all to where you currently reside? Do you have an opportunity at all to make a request?
stillbliss  
#1039 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2020 10:06:23 AM(UTC)
stillbliss

United States

When I was called, I was offered a list of ports. None of them were in my area. I did not get to choose a preferred region. I was told that if I didn't accept one of the locations offered, my file would be permanently closed.
Port offers are based on their needs, not yours.
Ralral  
#1040 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2020 11:20:24 AM(UTC)
Ralral

United States

Any 19-1 applicants see any recent movement? Currently @ 43%. Awaiting background approval and drug test.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed