Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

21 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CDrew  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2020 2:13:13 AM(UTC)
CDrew

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Announcement open as of today (1/27). That's all I'm willing to say. They have a question warning about discussing details, so I'm just going to leave this here.
thanks 2 users thanked CDrew for this useful post.
Imppriss on 1/27/2020(UTC), QuietTenacity on 2/7/2020(UTC)
GobblyGoops  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 29, 2020 4:02:20 AM(UTC)
GobblyGoops

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MoisLete Go to Quoted Post
What I find most interesting about this years announcement is that they are now requiring a MASTERS degree if you are a criminal justice major. It looks like damn near every other field can still be a bachelor's degree... I guess what people say (that CJ is the worst major if you are trying to work for the FBI) might be true. I guess this is a good way of weeding out massive numbers of CJ applicants.....

Does this really upset any other CJ majors? They don't specifically call out any other major in this way. This is really just idiotic. I know that "dumb CJ major" is a stigma at a lot of schools, but just because someone is a CJ major doesn't mean they are an idiot.

I mean the more I think about it... "bachelor's degree in political science, economics, chemistry, biology, physics, cyber, etc. No problem. Criminology/Criminal Justice? Better be a masters" lol. Just dumb. You know, maybe this agency really is all for show with idiotic moves like this one. Makes you wonder if they are really as elite as the public relations department wants you to think.

Well, I guess us CJ majors with ONLY an undergraduate degree in CJ are out of the picture from this point. Time to go take out another 50K in student loans to get the masters to get an IA job starting at 37K (or 45K with a masters and a $100K student loan lol... and they wonder why they have trouble recruiting people....)

I'm not all too surprised. From what I've seen they've been veering people away from pursuing Criminal Justice degrees for a while. I believe the issue is that it makes the applicant too "one note"; they want individuals who have proven to have knowledge or skills in other areas that they aren't going to be trained at Quantico.

And of course generalized statements like "CJ majors are idiots" aren't true, but you can't really blame the agency too much for wanting a more diverse educational background. You aren't just applying for a standard law enforcement role like a city police officer. As part of the FBI you're going to be handling national issues that span a multitude of different fields.

For instance a Computer Science major can be placed in application development, cryptography, reverse engineering, digital forensics, malware analysis, systems administration, network administration, all other things cybersecurity related: hacking or defending, ...

I don't think they have issues with IA hiring, because the last IA opening was in 2018 and they completely skipped over 2019.

Their SA hiring shortage is mainly due to low pay for STEM/Law/Accounting/etc. majors as well as the lengthy process and fitness test. Some people don't want to take a pay cut, or get in shape, or be relocated, or work 50 hours, etc. which is understandable.

In any case you are still eligible to apply to be a Special Agent because they don't specify major requirements (only experience), so maybe try for that instead.

NSA
9/19 - Applied
10/19 - CJO
10/19 - e-QIP
11/19 - BI Met
1/20 - Poly/Psych
TigSunshine  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2020 7:42:56 AM(UTC)
TigSunshine

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hello, everyone!

My name is Maria. I want to say hi and introduce myself.

I was born and raised in Spain but moved here in 2005, and I am a dual citizen. My undergrad is in Information Technology and Homeland Security. I applied for the intelligence analyst position on 01/27/2020.
I graduated with a master's degree in geospatial Intelligence and Homeland security this past December 21st, 2019.

I am excited about the journey ahead:)

Edited by user Friday, January 31, 2020 7:57:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked TigSunshine for this useful post.
qazwsx on 1/31/2020(UTC)
LawOrder  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2020 3:47:46 AM(UTC)
LawOrder

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MoisLete Go to Quoted Post
I'm sorry, but no. Just. No.

This has crossed into insanity territory at this point. This is progressive credentialism in full swing, and it's not just the FBI doing this. (Though, I am sad to see that the FBI, like so many employers, has now gotten in on the action.)

What - pray tell - changed in the last year to justify suddenly upping the requirement from a BA/BS to an MA/MS degree? Not a damn thing. It was done simply because another arrogant employer knew they could get away with it, and fools (job seekers/students) would go along with it. Let us also keep in mind that BLS is reporting a 1.9% unemployment rate for college grads.... yet employers still seem totally cool with progressive credentialism. Interesting.

When you increase job requirements for no reason what-so-ever, you profoundly impact peoples lives in terrible ways.

We are in the midst of what is rapidly becoming a nationwide student loan crisis. (There was even a series of posts on one of the other threads here hoping that the FBI would pay off student loans for new hires.). We are looking at soon to be over $2 trillion dollars in outstanding student loans nationwide, backed by the government no less.... student loans that massive numbers of graduates are no longer able to pay and could likely be with them until death.

Yet, employers continue to ask for more and more "education" for no valid reason. This was fine when a masters degree was $5000 at a state university. Now, at many schools, a masters degree means taking out 50K in student loans at a 6-8% interest rate... this is on top of massive undergraduate student loans.

So, lets say people go and get a masters degree and end up 50K more in student loan debt. The FBI is not guaranteeing being hired. The FBI is not paying for that education. It costs them nothing, but people are looking at a lifetime of paying student loans just because the FBI arbitrarily decided you just suddenly needed a masters? GTFO.

To make matters worse, let's say you go and get the masters degree now. Ok, and let's say the FBI hires you as an IA. Ok, great. Now, let's suppose the FBI ships you to Tucson, AZ. GS-9 in Tucson, AZ pays $25.62/hour. Are you kidding me???

So, the FBI wants people to walk in the door with a masters degree, possibly up to 100K in student loans, and wants them to move across the country for $25.62/hour? Are they out of their damn minds? After moving expenses, rent, food, cell phone bill, car insurance, etc... that $25.62/hour sure as hell doesn't leave much room to start paying down a massive student loan balance.

They are out of their minds. I'm not going into massive student loan debt to maybe get an IA position paying $25.62/hour, and anyone who does so is a fool. So, in response to this ridiculous masters degree requirement, I say it again. No. Just. No. It's time people stop ruining their lives with student loan debt for employers who don't give a damn about them and don't care if they spend the rest of their life in massive student loan debt.

It’s just degree inflation. A bachelors degree is worth less today than 20 years ago, because a greater proportion of job applicants have one. A bachelors degree today is probably equivalent to a masters decades ago. Supply and demand is how the free markets work.

It may suck for the individual employee, but looking at the big picture, the economy and country benefits, because of productivity gains. High worker productivity results in greater wealth overall.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 4, 2020 3:50:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TigSunshine  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2020 2:01:51 PM(UTC)
TigSunshine

Woman
United States

Hi everyone :)

Once you apply, how long does it take to be invited to phase I?
I applied on the 27th, and I do not expect to hear anytime soon, but I am just curious. From what I read in the forums, people with STEM degrees seem to be invited quicker than other majors.

Thank you.
CDrew  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2020 12:20:02 PM(UTC)
CDrew

United States

Originally Posted by: Hypertweeky Go to Quoted Post

I applied on the 27th, and I do not expect to hear anytime soon, but I am just curious. From what I read in the forums, people with STEM degrees seem to be invited quicker than other majors.

Thank you.

If you are chosen it you should hear anytime now. I'm in P2 retest next weekend and if I don't pass that's it for me for good.

Edited by user Saturday, February 8, 2020 12:20:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked CDrew for this useful post.
TigSunshine on 2/8/2020(UTC)
TigSunshine  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2020 6:33:15 PM(UTC)
TigSunshine

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: ChrisDrew Go to Quoted Post

Thank you.

If you are chosen it you should hear anytime now. I'm in P2 retest next weekend and if I don't pass that's it for me for good.

I wish you the very best!! You can do it!!
thanks 1 user thanked TigSunshine for this useful post.
CDrew on 2/11/2020(UTC)
JessElizabeth  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 2:23:19 PM(UTC)
JessElizabeth

United States

I know it was initially thought the IA posting would be up in March. Any ideas why it went up early? Also why it was ended so quickly? I was mid application when the position closed. Does anyone know if it will be posted again at all this year. Or if it will have to wait until next year? Thanks!
TigSunshine  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 4:15:50 PM(UTC)
TigSunshine

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: GeorgeofTheJungle Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: JessElizabeth Go to Quoted Post
I know it was initially thought the IA posting would be up in March. Any ideas why it went up early? Also why it was ended so quickly? I was mid application when the position closed. Does anyone know if it will be posted again at all this year. Or if it will have to wait until next year? Thanks!

It went up early because they didn’t have one last year. The government shutdown probably delayed everything. They only had a limited opening because they are still processing folks from the previous announcement. And unfortunately, no one will be able to give you a solid answer as to when the next announcement will be. It all depends on how quickly they process candidates and the needs of the bureau which I can assure you they haven’t determine yet since the opening just closed and they are evaluating candidates.

Your Inbox is full. I cannot send you a message:)
Also, thank you for the helpful response!
Gnocchi16  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 4:40:47 PM(UTC)
Gnocchi16

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hi, I came across a great resource and thought I would post it here. I’m in the IA process but found this podcast to be very informative and full of valuable information for anyone in the SA or IA application process.

Podcast (dated 2/13/2019)
FBI Retired Case File Review w/Jerri Williams
Episode 153: Q&A with Special Agent FBI Recruiter, Special Agent Cerena Coughlin
2 hours, 9 minutes

Link:
https://podcasts.apple.c...82012464?i=1000429826599

Description:
“Special Agent Cerena Coughlin, an FBI recruiter for the Philadelphia Division, provides answers to questions about the FBI sent in by FBI Retired Case File Review listeners interested in applying to become analysts and specials agents with the FBI. All potential FBI Special Agent candidates must start the application process online at FBIJobs.gov.
Special Agent Cerena Coughlin has been with the FBI for more than 18 years. Currently, she is the Employment Recruiter for the Philadelphia Field Office and also the local Coordinator for InfraGard, a public/private partnership between the FBI and representatives of critical infrastructure. She was a member of the Los Angeles Innocent Images SAFE Team where she investigated cases involving the sexual exploitation of children, and was assigned to Counterterrorism squads in the Los Angeles and Baltimore Divisions. In the Philadelphia Division, before being assigned as the FBI recruiter, she was on a Cybercrime squad. She is married to an FBI agent and they have three children.”
Joker86  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2020 12:12:15 PM(UTC)
Joker86

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Got the Mutombo email this morning for IA app. Looks like I will have to stick to the SA process. Good luck to anyone else who is moving on.
TigSunshine  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2020 12:34:43 PM(UTC)
TigSunshine

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Joker86 Go to Quoted Post
Got the Mutombo email this morning for IA app. Looks like I will have to stick to the SA process. Good luck to anyone else who is moving on.

Mutombo email?
Joker86  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2020 1:23:47 PM(UTC)
Joker86

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Mutombo email?

Sorry just a reference to former NBA player Dikembe Mutombo who blocked alot of shots.
TigSunshine  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2020 4:34:13 PM(UTC)
TigSunshine

Woman
United States

Mutombo email?

Sorry just a reference to former NBA player Dikembe Mutombo who blocked alot of shots.

I know about Mutombo, but I didn't think about it until you pointed it out! Thank you.
user215  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 10:02:56 AM(UTC)
user215

United States

Since the posting went live early, and then ended rather promptly, will there likely be another posting as planned in March? Or is it advisable to anticipate another year before another posting? Thanks for the gouge.
Hawkeye25  
#16 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 2:05:27 PM(UTC)
Hawkeye25

United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: user215 Go to Quoted Post
Since the posting went live early, and then ended rather promptly, will there likely be another posting as planned in March? Or is it advisable to anticipate another year before another posting? Thanks for the gouge.

Read up about 7 replies from yours and you will get an answer
CDrew  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2020 4:38:49 PM(UTC)
CDrew

United States

Originally Posted by: user215 Go to Quoted Post

The posts usually only happen once a year.
Sheikboy  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2020 12:36:43 PM(UTC)
Sheikboy

United States

Hi All,

I have my Phase II written test tomorrow and there is a dearth of information on it. I'm little nervous, and was wondering what other people did to prepare/study for it. I've been doing GRE writing prep but it's not quite the same I'm sure.
BoundMorpheme  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2020 3:00:13 PM(UTC)
BoundMorpheme

United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
There is a dearth of information because the FBI wants it to be that way. The applicant guide has all of the information you need to know to be ready for the test. Good luck!
BoundMorpheme  
#20 Posted : Friday, March 6, 2020 7:45:15 AM(UTC)
BoundMorpheme

United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Has anyone taken the Phase II test this application cycle and received their results yet? I'm curious if it will still take a couple of months to hear back, which seemed to be the case in previous years, or if things will move more quickly this time around.

EDIT: Strangely enough, about an hour after I posted this, I received an email saying that I had passed Phase II. I took the test exactly two weeks ago on 2/21.

Edited by user Friday, March 6, 2020 10:45:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked BoundMorpheme for this useful post.
Imppriss on 3/6/2020(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed