Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bonnejournee  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2020 4:55:20 PM(UTC)
bonnejournee

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello, I'm looking for a new job in a different location. Presently, I'm a GS-12, 0401 series, with a bachelor's degree. I've been applying to jobs on USAJobs exclusively in land management agencies and EPA. I've sent over 130+ applications but have only been referred at most, never contacted directly. I hate the idea of going down in grade but I'm pretty hellbent on changing localities, so I'm open to it.

My questions are:

Should I be looking for jobs at a lower grade level? My current experience is pretty niche and it's been very hard to find any similar jobs.

Are there any other tracts to apply for jobs with land management agencies (NPS, BLM, FS, etc.) other than USA jobs?

Thank you for your input.
FrankJr  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2020 7:17:50 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 114 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bonnejournee Go to Quoted Post

Hello, I'm looking for a new job in a different location. Presently, I'm a GS-12, 0401 series, with a bachelor's degree. I've been applying to jobs on USAJobs exclusively in land management agencies and EPA. I've sent over 130+ applications but have only been referred at most, never contacted directly. I hate the idea of going down in grade but I'm pretty hellbent on changing localities, so I'm open to it.

My questions are:

Should I be looking for jobs at a lower grade level? My current experience is pretty niche and it's been very hard to find any similar jobs.

Are there any other tracts to apply for jobs with land management agencies (NPS, BLM, FS, etc.) other than USA jobs?

Thank you for your input.

The entire federal workforce is looking for a new job in a new location with a new supervisor with a new lease on life.

The overwhelming majority of the hires as of late are either external candidate with required skill sets or favoritism. In theory the 11-12 roles provide the opportunity to be hired without "hitting the ground running" but most hiring managers understand the GS 12 doesn't like to be hired at a GS 11.

Didn't the current administration decimate the land management agencies and the EPA? Not the better environment to apply to those organizations.
djp  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 11:52:40 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 144 post(s)
what kind of jobs are you looking for? why do you want a new job?
nembamike  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2020 3:36:36 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 190 post(s)
With a bachelor's degree I think the best you are going to do is around the GS-9 level since you don't have the specialized experience usually required for most 11/12 jobs.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed