Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

8 Pages«<34567>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
XFed77  
#81 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2020 5:04:37 AM(UTC)
XFed77

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jones337 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: athena79 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Pumas1234 Go to Quoted Post
For a Hiring Freeze that's supposedly only affecting the Field Operations Directorate, I haven't seen Service Center ISO announcements in a long time...

Has anyone in the California Service Center heard anything about the next Mass Hiring?

Time to move on. Offers will be rescinded. No hiring until after the election.

The 45-day mark from the freeze is coming up this week. Whether good or bad, I hope we hear something definitive. Of course, I'm hoping for good news. Having relocated my family across the country (literally as far as we could move and stay within the continental US), spending thousands of dollars on the move, and hemorrhaging savings since, it would be personally tragic at this point to not start the job.

They (FOD) do not anticipate lifting the freeze until maybe the summer. Also no OT the rest of the fiscal year. They announced both today.

Hi Jones,

Thanks for the information.

Can you refer us to where the FOD announced this decision?

Thanks.

During the FOD Town Hall.

When and where was the FOD Town Hall? Is there a transcript, memo, document or video that we can see?

Thanks

thanks 1 user thanked XFed77 for this useful post.
Medic17 on 2/21/2020(UTC)
Mukapuka  
#82 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 7:20:12 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Well I emailed HROC, the same lady that sent me the hiring freeze email. I asked her of any updates regarding the lift of the hiring freeze and no reply. I guess they are ignoring the question. This is my second email to her. No response. Just ignore. I am so frustrated. I am working at another federal agency and I went through background check. All I am waiting for is a start date. Grrrrr !
What is the hold up? I really hope this freeze doesn’t last til the summer. I can’t take this current job anymore.
XFed77  
#83 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 7:54:02 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
Well I emailed HROC, the same lady that sent me the hiring freeze email. I asked her of any updates regarding the lift of the hiring freeze and no reply. I guess they are ignoring the question. This is my second email to her. No response. Just ignore. I am so frustrated. I am working at another federal agency and I went through background check. All I am waiting for is a start date. Grrrrr !
What is the hold up? I really hope this freeze doesn’t last til the summer. I can’t take this current job anymore.

There was a person who posted recently that it might last until the summer per a USCIS Town Hall meeting. I would like to know when and where it took place. It seems there is no official announcement of the USCIS hiring freeze other than emails and meetings. They are using funds from USCIS for ICE, Border Patrol, CBP, and can't make it that official...

Mukapuka  
#84 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 7:55:55 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

I guess the freeze will be lifted after application fees go up.
Summer is months away. So frustrating!
XFed77  
#85 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 5:32:12 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Some people here have posted that the hiring freeze was only imposed on the Field Operations Directorate.

But if you look at the announcements since December 23rd, 2019, the day that most candidates received emails stating that there is a hiring freeze, that their hiring process has been paused until further notice, there have been NO announcements for the Service Center ISOs either.

A couple of individuals posting here were adamant/defended the current hiring freeze stating that most of the hiring is done at the Service Centers, that the hiring freeze for the FOD does not affect the majority of USCIS hiring...but the Service Centers haven't been hiring either!

It is a nebulous/cloudy situation with this freeze. Per town halls, emails, and word of mouth, it was only supposed to affect the Field Operations Directorate hiring, but there have been NO, or ZERO or ZILCH announcements for the Service Centers. We have been lied to.

So, Ladies and Gentlemen, it seems that the Hiring Freeze is of both. They have just played with the language about just the FOD being affected by the freeze to fool everyone and buy more time, use the USCIS budget to provide additional funds to Border Patrol, Ice, and CBP.

Very deceptive.

Disappointing.

@TheBADGUY on 2/22/2020(UTC)
Jones337  
#86 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 3:30:37 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
For a Hiring Freeze that's supposedly only affecting the Field Operations Directorate, I haven't seen Service Center ISO announcements in a long time...

Has anyone in the California Service Center heard anything about the next Mass Hiring?

The 45-day mark from the freeze is coming up this week. Whether good or bad, I hope we hear something definitive. Of course, I'm hoping for good news. Having relocated my family across the country (literally as far as we could move and stay within the continental US), spending thousands of dollars on the move, and hemorrhaging savings since, it would be personally tragic at this point to not start the job.

They (FOD) do not anticipate lifting the freeze until maybe the summer. Also no OT the rest of the fiscal year. They announced both today.

Hi Jones,

Thanks.

When and where was the FOD Town Hall? Is there a transcript, memo, document or video that we can see?

Thanks

It should be on the FOD ECN as they usually have transcripts of past town halls. If you're a current USCIS employee you may be able to access it, but if you aren't a current employee you won't be able to access the ECN. Also I heard through the grapevine that now Service Centers are on a freeze.
XFed77  
#87 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 4:43:08 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Hi Jones,

Thanks.

Thanks

It should be on the FOD ECN as they usually have transcripts of past town halls. If you're a current USCIS employee you may be able to access it, but if you aren't a current employee you won't be able to access the ECN. Also I heard through the grapevine that now Service Centers are on a freeze.

Thanks for the response, Jones.

A lot of us are actually not working for USCIS and do not have access to the ECN. That's why we're in the dark. We have either done the Witing Exercise, received a Tentative Offer or even an EOD and the processed has stopped, and haven't heard much since 12/23/2019.

I figured that there is a SC Hiring Freeze, even if unofficial, because I haven't seen a Service Center Announcement in months especially from the ones who seem to announce frequently like the NSC, TSC, etc.

Thanks again.
asd123 on 2/13/2020(UTC)
Mike in VT  
#88 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 5:37:56 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 70 post(s)

Hi Jones,

Thanks.

Thanks

Thanks for the response, Jones.

A lot of us are actually not working for USCIS and do not have access to the ECN. That's why we're in the dark. We have either done the Witing Exercise, received a Tentative Offer or even an EOD and the processed has stopped, and haven't heard much since 12/23/2019.

I figured that there is a SC Hiring Freeze, even if unofficial, because I haven't seen a Service Center Announcement in months especially from the ones who seem to announce frequently like the NSC, TSC, etc.

Thanks again.

Yes, the Centers are under a 'silent' freeze that is mostly affecting the issuance of EODs. Centers have placed recent job postings, but the process has either slowed or stopped at the T/O stage.

Mukapuka  
#89 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 11:32:38 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

I finally got a reply back from HR at USCIS
This is what it says....

Unfortunately, the hiring freeze is still in effect and we have not received any additional information as to when this will be lifted.

Please feel free to continue checking in with us.

Thank you,
thanks 1 user thanked Mukapuka for this useful post.
asd123 on 2/13/2020(UTC)
Pumas1234  
#90 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 5:57:43 PM(UTC)
Pumas1234

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
I finally got a reply back from HR at USCIS
This is what it says....

Unfortunately, the hiring freeze is still in effect and we have not received any additional information as to when this will be lifted.

Please feel free to continue checking in with us.

Thank you,

Not really any use in still contacting the HR reps, they wont tell you anything new if they weren't the ones to originally send it to you in the first place. Sucks that we wanted to work for the one agency in the Department that is viewed as a guinea pig and nonessential.
Eternal-Itch  
#91 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2020 9:12:12 AM(UTC)
Eternal-Itch

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hi Jones,

Thanks.

Thanks

Heard the same as Jones337 on the townhall, possibly sometime during summer the freeze might be lifted. My FOD just told me yesterday that they're still saying summer.
thanks 1 user thanked Eternal-Itch for this useful post.
athena79 on 2/19/2020(UTC)
randomazngeek  
#92 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2020 10:20:25 PM(UTC)
randomazngeek

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
This is a rumor I heard from some of my co-workers at the CSC, but they had a lunch meeting with either the Director of CSC or the Chief of Staff and they said that the CSC is under a hiring freeze and not to expect Overtime until the next fiscal year. But as I said its all scuttlebutt and rumors, there is a town hall next week so I should get some updates. Fingers cross that hiring should pick up soon and Overtime comes back. T_T
thanks 3 users thanked randomazngeek for this useful post.
athena79 on 2/19/2020(UTC), Sajoma_Girl on 2/19/2020(UTC), XFed77 on 2/20/2020(UTC)
Megs2693  
#93 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2020 8:49:07 AM(UTC)
Megs2693

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I work at a service center and watched the town hall meeting on the 4th. Current employees should not expect overtime for the rest of the fiscal year and the hiring freeze will "hopefully see some movement" this summer. That's what was said in the town hall. They were very vague.
thanks 2 users thanked Megs2693 for this useful post.
athena79 on 2/19/2020(UTC), Sajoma_Girl on 2/19/2020(UTC)
Pumas1234  
#94 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2020 4:57:20 PM(UTC)
Pumas1234

This freeze makes me really wish a Democrat was in the Oval Office. : (
Mike in VT  
#95 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2020 10:07:21 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 70 post(s)

I can’t wait to hear this gem...

Please do tell us why you wish a dem was in charge.

XFed77  
#96 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2020 10:52:15 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post

I can’t wait to hear this gem...

Please do tell us why you wish a dem was in charge.

The funding would have not been diverted from USCIS to the Border Patrol, CBP, and ICE, for political reasons would be my main reason...

XFed77  
#97 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2020 1:36:17 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: randomazngeek Go to Quoted Post
This is a rumor I heard from some of my co-workers at the CSC, but they had a lunch meeting with either the Director of CSC or the Chief of Staff and they said that the CSC is under a hiring freeze and not to expect Overtime until the next fiscal year. But as I said its all scuttlebutt and rumors, there is a town hall next week so I should get some updates. Fingers cross that hiring should pick up soon and Overtime comes back. T_T

Please keep us posted!

Thanks for the info!

G0271  
#98 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2020 7:10:47 AM(UTC)
G0271

United States

With talk of the hiring freeze not lifting until summer, are you guys planning on waiting it out (and hoping they don't rescind offers in the meantime) or are you actively still applying/interviewing for other jobs?

I'm debating if I should start applying for other stuff and see whats out there while this freeze is in place. I'm also concerned that if TOs at some point were to be rescinded this whole process will have been for nothing. Thoughts?
XFed77  
#99 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2020 9:09:07 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: G0271 Go to Quoted Post
With talk of the hiring freeze not lifting until summer, are you guys planning on waiting it out (and hoping they don't rescind offers in the meantime) or are you actively still applying/interviewing for other jobs?

I'm debating if I should start applying for other stuff and see whats out there while this freeze is in place. I'm also concerned that if TOs at some point were to be rescinded this whole process will have been for nothing. Thoughts?

This freeze could extend until the November Elections and beyond. The Administration is using USCIS funds to hire more CBP, Border Patrol, Ice employees to cater to their base. Unless Congress identifies this unethical redirecting of funds and does something about it, this will continue.

I would apply to other jobs anyway. It takes months to get a job. By the time you get an EOD the freeze could be lifted and you can continue the USCIS ISO process. Give yourself more options. I am.

thanks 2 users thanked XFed77 for this useful post.
G0271 on 2/21/2020(UTC), @TheBADGUY on 2/22/2020(UTC)
athena79  
#100 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2020 10:17:41 AM(UTC)
athena79

Originally Posted by: G0271 Go to Quoted Post

I've started to apply for other jobs this past week. Most with the feds, so I anticipate I won't hear back for a while.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed