Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

463 Pages«<459460461462463>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bp340  
#9201 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2020 8:02:26 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Megs2693 Go to Quoted Post
I work at the service center in Lee's Summit. There is a hiring freeze that is affecting service centers and field offices. Everyone who was offered a position with a start date before December 22nd came on board. All others are in a holding pattern indefinitely until the freeze is lifted. There is zero information out there on how long this will last. Lots of speculation on this board as to why but no one knows the real reason other than typical government bureaucracy and incompetence.

I agree with the: "There is zero information out there on how long this will last."

That is what's wrong with all this. To be fair, other hiring freezes have been public knowledge, like the one that started 01/2017 under this same administration. But this one, happening on an election year, has been kept low profile. I can't think of any other reason than politics.

USCIS, the Dept. of Homeland Security agency that grants legal residence/citizenship/immigration benefits to immigrants who qualify, that is self funded, has an under the radar hiring freeze with no indication/public knowledge/reports that they have financial constraints.

ICE, Border Patrol, CBP, the Homeland Security Enforcement agencies used to arrest/detain/control immigration check points, are hiring more than ever.

It seems the Administration is trying to appease their anti-immigrant base. If this is the case, it's unethical/wrong, to say the least, and it's affecting many individuals who have nothing to do with politics who just want to start working/serve their country through the federal government.

Under the current circumstances the emphasis is and should be on the enforcement side of immigration. Your anti immigration enforcement mentality should fit right in with USCIS and is another good reason that this freeze should extend for sometime.
bp340  
#9202 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2020 8:06:36 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: PSEtoPTF Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Bros1980 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
For some service centers yes. I interviewed for one in January in DC area and no word. I have emailed them and they have not replied. Some are under a freeze. Except for Asylum offices.

1.so why aren't asylum offices effected by the hiring freeze?

2. Is the job of an assistant any different from a field office vs an asylum office?

Idk why asylum is not affected.
But, for the second question- yes. Field office IO does family based immigration, naturalization, AOS etc. Asylum officer does different types of “fear screenings” (let’s put it this way) that usually done by the phone, and affirmative asylum interviews (in person).

Asylum officer conduct fear claim interviews. These interviews are the initial for a previously deported alien now claiming fear or an expedited removal claiming fear. Before either of those aliens is placed into removal/withholding proceedings he/she must be interviewed by an asylum officer.
XFed77  
#9203 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2020 8:55:33 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bp340 Go to Quoted Post
I work at the service center in Lee's Summit. There is a hiring freeze that is affecting service centers and field offices. Everyone who was offered a position with a start date before December 22nd came on board. All others are in a holding pattern indefinitely until the freeze is lifted. There is zero information out there on how long this will last. Lots of speculation on this board as to why but no one knows the real reason other than typical government bureaucracy and incompetence.

I agree with the: "There is zero information out there on how long this will last."

That is what's wrong with all this. To be fair, other hiring freezes have been public knowledge, like the one that started 01/2017 under this same administration. But this one, happening on an election year, has been kept low profile. I can't think of any other reason than politics.

USCIS, the Dept. of Homeland Security agency that grants legal residence/citizenship/immigration benefits to immigrants who qualify, that is self funded, has an under the radar hiring freeze with no indication/public knowledge/reports that they have financial constraints.

ICE, Border Patrol, CBP, the Homeland Security Enforcement agencies used to arrest/detain/control immigration check points, are hiring more than ever.

It seems the Administration is trying to appease their anti-immigrant base. If this is the case, it's unethical/wrong, to say the least, and it's affecting many individuals who have nothing to do with politics who just want to start working/serve their country through the federal government.

Under the current circumstances the emphasis is and should be on the enforcement side of immigration. Your anti immigration enforcement mentality should fit right in with USCIS and is another good reason that this freeze should extend for sometime.

Says the Anti-Immigrant Trumper...
Mukapuka  
#9204 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2020 9:36:23 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 19 post(s)
If they reverse all decisions Ken Cucinnelli made since in office at USCIS than maybe the hiring freeze might lift.

https://www.npr.org/2020...-to-top-immigration-post
bp340  
#9205 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2020 9:41:30 PM(UTC)

Says the SJW who is sniveling and complaining... about a hiring freeze. It’s soooo unfair!!! The injustice!!! Oh, the humanity!!!! Unfortunately for you this could easily extend many months or longer. After Trump is re-elected in November he could extend this until January 2025. Don’t quite your day job flipping burgers just yet.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Just StartingOut on 3/2/2020(UTC)
Mukapuka  
#9206 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2020 10:08:09 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Another article and this one from Forbes. Talking about the hiring freeze.

https://www.google.com/a...is-billions-in-fees/amp/
XFed77  
#9207 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2020 3:43:16 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Says the SJW who is sniveling and complaining... about a hiring freeze. It’s soooo unfair!!! The injustice!!! Oh, the humanity!!!! Unfortunately for you this could easily extend many months or longer. After Trump is re-elected in November he could extend this until January 2025. Don’t quite your day job flipping burgers just yet.

Paid for by Trump2020 and the "Caronavirus" committee...

Can't even spell right. Typical.

So the psychiatrist asks:

"When did you start being Racist, Xenophobic, Mysogynist?"

You're answer is...

What office do you work at bp340?

Hope you're not being biased against law abiding humans... but I bet you are...

XFed77  
#9208 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2020 3:46:56 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
If they reverse all decisions Ken Cucinnelli made since in office at USCIS than maybe the hiring freeze might lift.

https://www.npr.org/2020...-to-top-immigration-post

I agree.

He's an Anti-Immigration Extremist.

They don't even bring up his confirmation before Congress because they know that even Republicans won't confirm him, so they name him "Acting". But as you see in the article, they're on to them...

This is a Mess.

Keeps getting worst.

cisgirl  
#9209 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2020 7:27:15 AM(UTC)
cisgirl

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
For those who can only read this forum (can't post) and have applied for the Immigration Analyst position (Dallas, Texas) back in Decemeber, I emailed HR and received this message:

"Thank you for your inquiry. For this position, selections have not yet been finalized. The selecting office has all your contact information should they need to contact you. The helpdesk is unable to provide you with information in regards to where the selecting official is in the interviewing process. The information is not disclosed until final selections have been made."

Hopefully we hear back soon with something, regardless of this "freeze" that's going on. Hang in there!

bp340  
#9210 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2020 8:02:35 AM(UTC)

Paid for by Trump2020 and the "Caronavirus" committee...

Can't even spell right. Typical.

So the psychiatrist asks:

"When did you start being Racist, Xenophobic, Mysogynist?"

You're answer is...

What office do you work at bp340?

Hope you're not being biased against law abiding humans... but I bet you are...

Classic SJW lingo.... Law abiding humans and way to throw that race card down. I know it’s the only card you’ve got (and from what I’ve seen it’s your go to move). No experience to speak of. No knowledge of the subject matter or the law.

The aliens I deal with most frequently are in violation of 8USC1325 or 8USC1326 and are illegal aliens. They have committed a violation of a criminal statute. There is nothing law abiding about the majority of aliens in removal proceedings. How do you get placed into removal proceedings? The far majority of aliens in removal proceedings fall under the following..You illegally entered the country, you overstayed or violated the status of your visa and/or you were convicted of a removable offense. Please (the person who has no clue about immigration) tell me with your vast knowledge of the INA and experience in immigration how they are “law abiding”.

You have no clue about immigration other that what you read or have been brain washed to believe. You’re a far left open borders hack who thinks you know it all and everyone that doesn’t hold your opinion is either a racist or anti immigrant.

USCIS lost its way many years ago. It stopped worrying about following the law and only became concerned with how many applications it could approve. Doesn’t matter how fraudulent the application was. The tendency was to lean toward approval. Seen it first hand in Natz application, DACA applications and U visa applications.
Just StartingOut on 3/2/2020(UTC)
Pumas1234  
#9211 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2020 3:37:28 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
wow, this thread has truly descended into complete nonsense.
Pumas1234  
#9212 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 3:20:08 PM(UTC)

LMAO this Xfed/BP matchup has been one for the ages. Some takeaways as they head down the stretch:

BP is definitely a mental midget, (s)he has fallen into all of xfed's traps, quite funny for someone who brags about their illustrious immigration career. (no one cares about your made up jobs at various agencies!)

Xfed is a man/woman of passion and anger, but may truly be too far left to work in any federal capacity w/o showing outright bias.

BOTH exemplify why people cannot stand government employees.

Congrats!

Edited by user Tuesday, March 3, 2020 3:26:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

XFed77  
#9213 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 3:56:50 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: Pumas1234 Go to Quoted Post
LMAO this Xfed/BP matchup has been one for the ages. Some takeaways as they head down the stretch:

BP is definitely a mental midget, (s)he has fallen into all of xfed's traps, quite funny for someone who brags about their illustrious immigration career. (no one cares about your made up jobs at various agencies!)

Xfed is a man/woman of passion and anger, but may truly be too far left to work in any federal capacity w/o showing outright bias.

Congrats!

And you exemplify a nosy individual who has no business getting in the middle of other people's arguments.

Are we supposed to give any value to your opinion, especially if no one asked for it?

Mind your own business.

bp340  
#9214 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 4:49:34 PM(UTC)

Congrats!

Pumass you are welcome to your own opinion.. and best of luck getting that GS 5 position with CIS. If not I’m sure you can work alongside XFed and the local Burger Joint.
Pumas1234  
#9215 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 5:01:32 PM(UTC)

Congrats!

Pumass you are welcome to your own opinion.. and best of luck getting that GS 5 position with CIS. If not I’m sure you can work alongside XFed and the local Burger Joint.

Very funny, and alarming, to think that you're a middle-aged adult. Seek help, or a spouse. : )
XFed77  
#9216 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 5:08:41 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Congrats!

Very funny, and alarming, to think that you're a middle-aged adult. Seek help, or a spouse. : )

Hahahahaha... I agree with Pumas on this one. Adolf needs "something"...

Cartermg99  
#9217 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 8:48:07 PM(UTC)
Cartermg99

Man
United States

So I have a question for those on here. When I was approximately 19 or 20 years of age (Am 38 now) I sat as a passenger for a friend who was the driver. It was his contact and he set it all up but I use to ride with him as he threw Hispanics in the trunk. We proceeded to drive them across the San Diego border. We got caught once back before 9/11. It was basically a slap on the wrist. I remember the agent telling me he understood why I probably did it but warned that we could get in serious trouble if one of those people ever died. Needless to say, that was the last time I ever sat passenger. Is this an eliminating factor to work as a CBPO?
G0271  
#9218 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2020 9:44:28 AM(UTC)
G0271

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have a job in Corporate currently and am in the process of crossing over to government. My EOD was the beginning of February but then of course the hiring freeze hit. I am looking at other opportunities both in govt and in corporate.

With that said, one of the reasons I wanted to crossover to government is because of the benefits (retirement) that is offered. but I just saw this article and it appears that they are trying to get rid of the Federal Retirement system? Did I read the article right? https://federalsoup.com/...ibased-compensation.aspx

Can anyone shed any clarity on this?

Thoughts?
bp340  
#9219 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2020 12:58:17 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Matt99 Go to Quoted Post
So I have a question for those on here. When I was approximately 19 or 20 years of age (Am 38 now) I sat as a passenger for a friend who was the driver. It was his contact and he set it all up but I use to ride with him as he threw Hispanics in the trunk. We proceeded to drive them across the San Diego border. We got caught once back before 9/11. It was basically a slap on the wrist. I remember the agent telling me he understood why I probably did it but warned that we could get in serious trouble if one of those people ever died. Needless to say, that was the last time I ever sat passenger. Is this an eliminating factor to work as a CBPO?

There is zero chance that you would get picked as a CBPO after being arrested for alien smuggling.
Cartermg99 on 3/5/2020(UTC)
bp340  
#9220 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2020 1:57:23 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: G0271 Go to Quoted Post
I have a job in Corporate currently and am in the process of crossing over to government. My EOD was the beginning of February but then of course the hiring freeze hit. I am looking at other opportunities both in govt and in corporate.

With that said, one of the reasons I wanted to crossover to government is because of the benefits (retirement) that is offered. but I just saw this article and it appears that they are trying to get rid of the Federal Retirement system? Did I read the article right? https://federalsoup.com/...ibased-compensation.aspx

Can anyone shed any clarity on this?

Thoughts?

There has been chatter for years about changing FERS. The most recent changes to FERS have only affected new hires. These changes increased the FERS contribution rates from .8 percent (1.3 for LEOS) to 4.4 percent (4.9 for LEOS) for employees hired on or after 1/1/2014 (those hired between 1/12013 to 12/31/2013 contribute 3.1 percent (3.6 for LEOS).

There are no guarantees but once you get hired there is a less likely chance that you would be directly affected by most of the proposed changes but keep in mind that one of the changes mentioned above (FERS-FRAE) was signed into law in late December 2013 and went into effect 1/1/2014.

The most common proposals are..
High 5 (instead of high 3)
Eliminate FERS supplemental
Increase FERS contributions by employees
Eliminate COLA
And possible changes to FEHB contributions during retirement (from 72 percent to 65 percent)

The most drastic would be the elimination of FERS and move to strictly TSP.

If you are truly concerned about retirement with the federal government (and pay) your best bet is to get a 6C/12D LEO position. With most of the covered positions you will earn significantly more during your career because of GS grade (many positions top out at the GS 12/13 level) and premium pay (LEAP/AUO) that adds an addition 25-32 percent of pay (that also is figured into high 3 for retirement). Plus being able to retire at a much younger age and have a pension that would be significantly higher in percentage (between approx 50-70 percent) than non LEO positions. The actual difference with the higher LEO pay (high 3) and the higher percentage can result many times in more than double the pension for an LEO at the same grade as a non LEO.

GS 12 step 6 (RUS)
Base - 89,510

Non LEO
Base - 89,510 x 20 years (20 percent of high 3) = Pension of 17,902 (not eligible for FERS Supplemental)

LEO
Base - 89,510 plus premium (25 percent) 22,377.5 = 111,887.5 x 20 years (34 percent) = 38,041.75 plus FERS supplemental (approx 15,000) = 53,041

So that’s 17,902 vs 53,041.

The gap will close slightly after 30 years.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 4, 2020 2:19:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G0271 on 3/5/2020(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed