Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hightree1  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 12:52:12 PM(UTC)
Hightree1

Groups: Registered
United States

We both are Retired Civil Service Postal. Both receiving allotments My question is after one of us is deceased does the surviving spouse receive both their allotment plus there deceased spouses allotment
postalvet  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 2:20:07 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hightree1 Go to Quoted Post
We both are Retired Civil Service Postal. Both receiving allotments My question is after one of us is deceased does the surviving spouse receive both their allotment plus there deceased spouses allotment

what is this "allotment" you are talking about?
Hightree1  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 2:27:04 PM(UTC)
Hightree1

United States

The allotment monthly pay check we receive from the USPS retirement under Civil Service not FERS
postalvet  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 4:02:16 PM(UTC)

The allotment monthly pay check we receive from the USPS retirement under Civil Service not FERS

you are not getting an allotment from the post office you are getting an annuity from OPM.
the post office is finished with you.

all this should have been explained to you in the blue book you received when you were finalized.

the blue book would have explained a survivor amount that is held so if one spouse passes the other spouse would get a monthly amount.

you should be able to see this by logging into your account at opm.
Hightree1  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 4:54:44 PM(UTC)
Hightree1

United States

correct, I used the wrong word meant annuity. Been retired for over 10 years, lost my blue book ...Was wanting to get reassurance that it was not like Social Security, where you can't draw both checks. Thank you for your response!
postalvet  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 5:28:31 PM(UTC)

correct, I used the wrong word meant annuity. Been retired for over 10 years, lost my blue book ...Was wanting to get reassurance that it was not like Social Security, where you can't draw both checks. Thank you for your response!

you can not draw both checks. contact opm and see if they will send you a new blue book.

you must have retired around the same time i did. at the time you filled out the retirement paper work you were asked if you want a survivor annuity if you declined you would have had to get a notarized letter from each other declining said survivor annuity.

log onto your account and look for the survivor part.

if one of you passes before the other the amount "held" for the survivor annuity will be added to the survivor amount, but you will not receive any back monies.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed