Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NoDisplayName  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2020 4:38:39 AM(UTC)
NoDisplayName

Groups: Registered
United States

It's only an interview and I already feel a ton of guilt. I left my former agency 10 years ago for my current position. I had no promotion potential and this new job was a career ladder. I enjoy my job however, I am ready for a change of pace. My supervisor also can be annoying although I feel bad for leaving him with all of the work that we have. We just hired a new person but they haven't EOD yet and I know this won't be good for my supervisor. My old agency had an internal position open that would be a completely different set of duties for me. It would be a lateral since I am already at the grade, which is fine because I have maxed my career ladder in my current position.

Should I feel bad for interviewing in the same building or trying to go back to my old agency? I've heard that my supervisor can be vindictive and that he takes these things personally. My ex-co-worker said he started treating him differently when he gave notice that he was transferring.

Any one experience anything like this before?

Also, does anyone know if you can be given a step increase when you take a lateral?
FatHappyCat  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2020 6:43:22 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NoDisplayName Go to Quoted Post
Should I feel bad for interviewing in the same building or trying to go back to my old agency? I've heard that my supervisor can be vindictive and that he takes these things personally. My ex-co-worker said he started treating him differently when he gave notice that he was transferring.

Any one experience anything like this before?

Also, does anyone know if you can be given a step increase when you take a lateral?

Not at all - it's assumed that anyone and everyone is looking for new opportunities. It's one thing if you were there for 10 weeks; you've been at this place for 10 years. No one looks out for you but you and every supervisor, if they have any smarts at all, understands this.

Pretty certain you can't get step increases for a lateral move. Maybe a bonus if they offer it.
Endless Summer  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2020 1:37:45 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 226 time(s) in 197 post(s)
I agree, you gave them ten years, you have nothing to feel bad about.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed