Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Training and Certification

Whether you want to improve your skills, boost your resume or prepare for a new job opportunity, training and certification programs and resources can help you achieve your goals. With the right program and resource, you will be more productive and this will help you climb the career ladder.

Here is a forum to ask questions about a particular program, to exchange insight on which is the right training, to share which certifications are the best to attain, to seek out what to do first, and to offer recommendations to others.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jacob_Smith  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2020 11:10:42 PM(UTC)
Jacob_Smith

Groups: Registered
United States

In my pursuit of obtaining federal employment, I have been offered a number of different opportunities to pursue some IT certifications. I will list these below:

1. IT bootcamp
This training is a few weeks long and includes certification for Network+, Security+, CEH and one other Comptia cert that I choose.

2. Only ONE of the below certifications: (includes a training program, exam fees, etc.)
PMP, Six Sigma (Green Belt), SSCP, CISSP, any GIAC course, Dell Boomi Professional Administrator, Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI - ACP), SPHR, Network Security Professional NSE 5, ITIL, Oracle 11G/12c Database, CCNA, Java SE 7/8

3. Any IT-related training up to $4000 at my local CC.

Side note:
I'm in college now, and can audit a few CS courses each semester if there are other courses here that you recommend or feel are essential.

Ideas:
Here is my current plan that I was thinking about. I could first do the boot camp and automatically have Network+, Security+, CEH. I would think the next logical progression here would be CASP. That would take care of #1. Next, I would use opportunity #2. Here, I would pursue an appropriate GIAC cert exam, but I’m not sure which one like to pursue (certified Pen Test maybe?). Finally, for #3, I guess I would just call the CC and explain what progress I’ve made at that point and ascertain the next appropriate cert for that final training opportunity.
What do you think about this particular plan?

I have no previous experience in IT, but I’m a vet and I plan on working in the government at any agency that I can get hired at. Thank you!

If possible, could you please list your position in the industry? I'd just like to get an idea of what type of advice is coming from which angles of industry professional experience, etc. ie are you a Cybersecurity expert in the private/govt sector, are you a student, etc.
FrankJr  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2020 7:57:36 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 127 time(s) in 117 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jacob_Smith Go to Quoted Post
In my pursuit of obtaining federal employment, I have been offered a number of different opportunities to pursue some IT certifications. I will list these below:

1. IT bootcamp
This training is a few weeks long and includes certification for Network+, Security+, CEH and one other Comptia cert that I choose.

2. Only ONE of the below certifications: (includes a training program, exam fees, etc.)
PMP, Six Sigma (Green Belt), SSCP, CISSP, any GIAC course, Dell Boomi Professional Administrator, Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI - ACP), SPHR, Network Security Professional NSE 5, ITIL, Oracle 11G/12c Database, CCNA, Java SE 7/8

3. Any IT-related training up to $4000 at my local CC.

Side note:
I'm in college now, and can audit a few CS courses each semester if there are other courses here that you recommend or feel are essential.

Ideas:
Here is my current plan that I was thinking about. I could first do the boot camp and automatically have Network+, Security+, CEH. I would think the next logical progression here would be CASP. That would take care of #1. Next, I would use opportunity #2. Here, I would pursue an appropriate GIAC cert exam, but I’m not sure which one like to pursue (certified Pen Test maybe?). Finally, for #3, I guess I would just call the CC and explain what progress I’ve made at that point and ascertain the next appropriate cert for that final training opportunity.
What do you think about this particular plan?

I have no previous experience in IT, but I’m a vet and I plan on working in the government at any agency that I can get hired at. Thank you!

If possible, could you please list your position in the industry? I'd just like to get an idea of what type of advice is coming from which angles of industry professional experience, etc. ie are you a Cybersecurity expert in the private/govt sector, are you a student, etc.

Offered a number of opportunities by whom?

Regardless, federal employment isn't a career; information technology, plumbing or medicine is a career. In a perfect world pick a career not an employer. Without an information technology background boot camps and certifications are pointless as both require a level of experience. Pursue a degree. Auditing course is intended for individuals not pursuing a degree. Ultimately vet preference and disability preference is the foot in the door for the majority of vets, not education.
Jacob_Smith  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2020 4:04:06 PM(UTC)
Jacob_Smith

United States

@FrankJr - Thank you for the reply.

Do you know which IT/CS type fields are in need of personnel in the government sector and accordingly which certifications that they are looking for mostly?

Edited by user Tuesday, March 24, 2020 4:04:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RMZB  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 6:02:01 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I agree with Frank. It all depends on what you want to do in your IT career. If you are drawn to the most in demand portion of IT then that would be Cyber Security and I'd work towards a Cyber degree and my CISSP. Your CISSP would trump the SEC+ so I wouldn't even look in that direction. Now if you want to get into more of the technical side I would consider #1 getting experience any way you can (Tier 1 and up) and in the process work towards getting an MCSE or some higher level technical degree. I hate to say it but the best thing you can do for yourself is get a degree, get a cert(s) in the area you want to focus in and then take any job can in that field and work your way up. I interview people often with Bachelors and Masters that have zero IT experience and they get beat out a lot by people with a cert or two and hands on exp....but in my dept I'm usually looking for GS11's, 12's and 13's so I can't bring in someone with zero exp and teach. Don't get discouraged, find an area in IT and focus on that and don't be afraid to start at the bottom like most of us have. If you show initiative and drive people around you will notice and you will get promoted. Good luck.
King_Fed  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2020 6:47:15 AM(UTC)
King_Fed

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RMZB Go to Quoted Post

I agree with Frank. It all depends on what you want to do in your IT career. If you are drawn to the most in demand portion of IT then that would be Cyber Security and I'd work towards a Cyber degree and my CISSP. Your CISSP would trump the SEC+ so I wouldn't even look in that direction. Now if you want to get into more of the technical side I would consider #1 getting experience any way you can (Tier 1 and up) and in the process work towards getting an MCSE or some higher level technical degree. I hate to say it but the best thing you can do for yourself is get a degree, get a cert(s) in the area you want to focus in and then take any job can in that field and work your way up. I interview people often with Bachelors and Masters that have zero IT experience and they get beat out a lot by people with a cert or two and hands on exp....but in my dept I'm usually looking for GS11's, 12's and 13's so I can't bring in someone with zero exp and teach. Don't get discouraged, find an area in IT and focus on that and don't be afraid to start at the bottom like most of us have. If you show initiative and drive people around you will notice and you will get promoted. Good luck.

For CISSP the candidate needs at least 4 years of experience in two or three of the domains... unless that has changed.

I have CISSP, PMP and other certs... I agree having experience and certs will get you the interview.

I also started from the bottom.

Good nugget, there are also agencies that provide IT incentive pay: DHS - 15 to 25 percent, State Department 15 percent, etc. If you are a GS-13 step 1, instead of making the $102,663 you would make an additional $15,399 with 15%. That would be $118,000.

Not a bad deal for a cert or taking a certain job (25% is reserved mostly for cyber positions).

Edited by user Saturday, June 27, 2020 6:48:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

William Walter Watkins  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2020 9:32:09 AM(UTC)
William Walter Watkins

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Your list of certs is all over the place. It is impossible to be good at everything. Some of those certs have prereqs and are not as simple as taking a course and passing it. Narrow your focus and take one, study for the roles you want. Having a scroll of certs is not going to help you land a job. I would take a look at jobs you are interested in and check to see if there are any DoD 8570 level certs listed in that role. Concentrate on those, they will help to increase your odds and raise your GS level once hired. For reference, I have a cyber and network background and a few certs.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed