Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
I wish I was a rural route carrier  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 4:31:19 PM(UTC)
I wish I was a rural route carrier

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 79 post(s)
I've seen city carriers with broken, worn out bodies reassign into clerk positions, but never the other way. It is possible, but probably doesn't happen often.

At my office, the clerk's stand around the supervisor's desk, sharing pictures and funny memes on their cell phones. They are very close and use their spouses and kids first names when telling each other stories. I couldn't tell you what my supervisors spouse or kids are named, nor would they know mine. This occurs while tubs of UBBM are spilling over onto the floor under carrier cases, dirt covering the floors and urine on the bathroom floors.

I'm not saying clerk's do nothing at my office, they spend considerable time mis-sorting parcels and SPRS in the morning. Enough time that some carriers have to go on wait time (I'll never do that). On days when management decides to leave early, our clerk's also take the initiative to make sure the supervisor's chair stays warm while playing on their phone. This position allows them to monitor the lazy city carriers that are spending to much time in the restroom. They will then text the supervisor and report the carrier.

If I could fake interest in managements insipid stories, I would be a clerk. City carrier is the worst craft position in the postal service.
thanks 1 user thanked I wish I was a rural route carrier for this useful post.
mailman617 on 3/25/2020(UTC)
Your NBA  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 5:10:54 PM(UTC)
Your NBA

Was thanked: 1369 time(s) in 945 post(s)
I got into an office that was very short on carriers. I had inside info that they had a transfer coming in a couple of months and I knew clerks were going to be excessed. I went through HR and the PM was never consulted or knew anything about it. He was pizzed because he felt disrespected. Too bad. In a matter of months I had seniority over 1/4 of the regulars.

If you are going to do it, go through HR and get it done ASAP. Seniority is huge as a city carrier in many offices.
timmy  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 5:33:28 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My experience with e-reassign. I was a regular DCO and went to e-reassign and did several locations in district vacancies for carrier position and yes it stated you could not use it for craft change but did it anyways sure enough got accepted in no time. If they are hurting for carrier positions which they were before you know it you will be scheduled for driver training but be warned its the hardest job you will have in the PO. you will lose your senority and will be walking for years to come unless you get to a station with mostly curbside but that wasnt my case. been carrying for 12 years and still walking. But watch your back this craft is the most harrassment you will ever experience. Im still looking over my shoulder I dont trust not 1 of them.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Your NBA on 3/25/2020(UTC)
Your NBA  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 6:02:46 PM(UTC)
Your NBA

Originally Posted by: timmy Go to Quoted Post
My experience with e-reassign. I was a regular DCO and went to e-reassign and did several locations in district vacancies for carrier position and yes it stated you could not use it for craft change but did it anyways sure enough got accepted in no time. If they are hurting for carrier positions which they were before you know it you will be scheduled for driver training but be warned its the hardest job you will have in the PO. you will lose your senority and will be walking for years to come unless you get to a station with mostly curbside but that wasnt my case. been carrying for 12 years and still walking. But watch your back this craft is the most harrassment you will ever experience. Im still looking over my shoulder I dont trust not 1 of them.

The thank button did not work.

Thank you for posting.

Personal experiences are the best and we appreciate yours.

Some have not liked some of my expressed opinions. But I was a clerk for 11 years and did every type of clerk work there was, including dumping sacks of mail until my fingers bled all the way up to window clerk, bulk mail, secretary, and every job in between including dock work (actually mailhandler work). Someone may like carrier work and, personally, I love park and loop and have had those half-marathon routes 6 days per week. No problem. But others might have problems with that. Others luck into curbside routes, which are physically easier. And, of course, weather varies greatly. So there is no one-size-fits-all advice to give. But from my experience all clerk jobs are waaaaaay easier than city carrier jobs and clerks are treated like gods while city carriers are treated like dogs. Again, your mileage may vary.
bobbob1  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 7:34:44 PM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Weird, in my city it's the clerks getting all the grief and jobs getting cut every *****ing time someone retires. The carriers have plenty of help and most don't do overtime unless they want to.
mailman617  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 7:38:15 PM(UTC)
mailman617

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Our clerks get jobs cut too. But it seems the clerks union file some grievances and they'll post it back up a yr later.
Your NBA  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 7:51:02 PM(UTC)
Your NBA

Originally Posted by: bobbob1 Go to Quoted Post
Weird, in my city it's the clerks getting all the grief and jobs getting cut every *****ing time someone retires. The carriers have plenty of help and most don't do overtime unless they want to.

Our janitor was credited with working 40 hours per week and got $80K grievance money in addition to nearly $60K in wages. And that was just the last incident. She has gotten six figures in free money and the carriers are screamed at for going potty.
bobbob1  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 8:33:44 PM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

Originally Posted by: mailman617 Go to Quoted Post
Our clerks get jobs cut too. But it seems the clerks union file some grievances and they'll post it back up a yr later.

that's what we're going through. we grieve them all and get most of them back but it takes months and months
canyoneer  
#29 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2020 5:17:35 PM(UTC)
canyoneer

United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Why not switch to a mail processing clerk or mail handler position at a plant? A few years ago I reassigned from city carrier to mail handler at a plant. I loved it. Even though you are inside you are not micromanaged or watched much because there are so many people at a plant. Management mostly hassles the PSE’s and MHA’s and leaves the regulars alone.
bobbob1  
#30 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2020 6:30:50 PM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

do mail handlers typically work nights?
postalvet  
#31 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2020 6:33:19 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2953 time(s) in 2344 post(s)

all three shifts.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
Roger.D  
#32 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2020 6:43:55 PM(UTC)
Roger.D

United States

Was thanked: 841 time(s) in 661 post(s)

I would say that 99% work afternoons/overnights. Very few would work from 6-7am to 1-3pm.

Roger.D  
#33 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2020 6:45:25 PM(UTC)
Roger.D

United States

Was thanked: 841 time(s) in 661 post(s)
The least harassed would be the custodians.

We have so much dust in the office the potatoes are starting to sprout.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed